PDA

View Full Version : Tandori Spice - Wick

JWM
01-Jun-09, 19:36
Just had a take away from the new indian restaurant and it was lovely.

Full of flavour and just so much better than the K2

Service was really good and order didnt take to long either

BonsBalls
01-Jun-09, 22:06
Totally agree i had a takeaway the best Indian meal i have had anywhere...Really friendly staff will be back again and again :)

boxer
02-Jun-09, 09:41
I have to agree. We had a meal in the Spice Tandoori last night and it was fantastic. The food could not have been faulted and the staff were great, i was very impressed and will defo be a regular :)

wkgeorge
02-Jun-09, 13:49
Where about is this take away?

02-Jun-09, 22:09
Had a takeaway tonight and we couldnt fault the food it was excellent, they have totally transformed the place and what a difference, will be back again soon.:)

Fran
03-Jun-09, 00:44
Where about is this take away?

It is in the former Carters bar at camps in wick. I popped in tonight for a takeaway menu. It was very busy and looked really nice and the decor looked good. Cant wait to get a meal there.

Hen Broon
03-Jun-09, 16:17
Do they have a web site ?
or does anyone know the restaurants phone number or opening hours ?

torrie
03-Jun-09, 16:53
Phone no. 01955606534 :roll:

Julia
03-Jun-09, 18:16
I think we will pop in tonight just to pick up a takeaway menu, I wonder how their prices compare to K2?

skinnydog
04-Jun-09, 21:11
Coming from Nairn originally, where the owners have had a curry house for 25 years or so I have to say that I will be biased but the Al Raj in Nairn does the best curries!! Best of luck to them in their new venture, won't be long before I am on the road to Wick for a dopiaza!

ar1ling
04-Jun-09, 23:28
will go there soon to have a try!

ashaw1
05-Jun-09, 09:38
will go there soon to have a try!

Went for lunch yesterday and it was lovely. What a difference a lick of paint can make, should have been done a long time ago.

Atmosphere, staff and food were all top class, lunch is £5.99 or £6.99 evening prices are competitive too and they give a 20% discount for takeaways!

Not too good for the waistline though! Need to be a monthly treat i think!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jun-09, 10:09
so who owns it??

telfordstar
05-Jun-09, 22:28
had a takeaway last night it was gorgeous!!!!

ashaw1
06-Jun-09, 13:04
so who owns it??

As skinnydog said it's owned by someone who also has a restaurant in Nairn, thats what it says on the back of the menu anyway!

twinkle
06-Jun-09, 14:25
We went there last night for a meal couldn't believe how cheap it was for 3 of us. Was lovely, best Indian food i have tasted in Caithness.
Will definately go back. :Razz

dakud007
06-Jun-09, 15:27
We went there last night for a meal couldn't believe how cheap it was for 3 of us. Was lovely, best Indian food i have tasted in Caithness.
Will definately go back. :Razz

how much did you pay for 3 of you? there are 3 of us going as well, i am just wondering how much is the budget?

skinnydog
06-Jun-09, 16:09
The owner is Mr Ali.

rangers1873
06-Jun-09, 18:38
just finished my carry out and it was excellent ,really tasty and fresh . when wife went to pick it up she said the staff were excellent with her. will be going back again

minnie
06-Jun-09, 20:53
Had a takeaway last nite best ave had in a long time!!:):D

hotrod4
07-Jun-09, 06:48
I seem to be the only one but I found the food a bit Bland.As most of you will know I am an Indiaholic :lol: So thought Id share my "wisdom".
Here is my Review:

I had Chicken Pakora which was very dry but lacked a bit of flavour,the batter was very light and barely covered the chicken.
The Chicken Dhansak was even worse and to top it all it was flavoured with lemon.Normally a Dhansak is classed as a hot and sour dish but on this occasion there was no heat and found it a bit underwhelming and lacked any real flavour.
Had the Aloo Gobi which is my favourite side dish, the Flavour was excellent but the Cauliflower was raw.I like "crunch" in my vegetables but this cauliflower hadnt seen any water!!!!!. It was such a shame as the flavour was spot on.
Overall I thought it was nothing too spectacular but it is their first week so I can easily overlook it.
I had a Balti house last night so will post that review on a seperate thread.

twinkle
08-Jun-09, 09:55
Dakud007 for the 3 of us it was £67, i thought that was excellent as we had 3 starters, 3 main course's, 3 differenct rice and 3 different nann's as well as 2 drinks each!! Really impressed!

Amy-Winehouse
10-Jun-09, 21:59
We had a take away last night it was lovely but it was on the pricey side for me but i have to admit it was worth every penny :D

rangers1873
11-Jun-09, 14:43
just had lunch with the missus and my youngest boy and a friend from work, we all totally enjoyed it. my friend and son had onoin bhadji and they both said it was the best they have had. i tryed chicken chat as my starter and it was excellent. all our main courses were lovely

Thumper
12-Jun-09, 11:52
Went there last night and I have to say it was fantastic!Could not fault anything x

Alice in Blunderland
12-Jun-09, 19:24
Going tonight so will post my view later on. :D

Julia
12-Jun-09, 21:24
We had some takeaway tonight, onion bhajis were great, we had lamb tikka massala and lamb tiger khan, really tasty, we had the peas rice which I've never had before and it was a huge big portion, plenty for two people! Got a couple of free poppadoms and pickles thrown in too. Our only disappointment was getting plain naan instead of the peshwari we had ordered, even so the plain one was still very good.

I ordered it early and said I wanted it ready for 8pm, it was ready to collect as soon as we went through the door, now that's service!

dakud007
13-Jun-09, 04:11
twinle, thank you for telling me the detailed price.

forevera123
13-Jun-09, 04:14
make me hungry now

dirdyweeker
13-Jun-09, 20:41
Well I went to the Restaurant tonight only to be turned away:(
Seems they are fullly booked so that alone must speak for itself.
There was not a table to be had.

Kevin Milkins
13-Jun-09, 21:09
We had a take away last night and the sevice was first class and the and the food was very good.

I still say the ones from Tesco will be my prefered Indian take away though.

If I was going out to dine I think this place will be top of the list of places to choose from.

rangers1873
13-Jun-09, 21:15
my son and his girlfriend have just come back from having a meal and said it was lovely

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jun-09, 11:44
We had a lovely meal. :)

Service was excellent.

The seating and space around the tables was just right. It was pleasant to find that we were not packed in too tightly and the tables were clean and the seating comfortable.

For starter we had Sheek kebab and Chicken Tikka both were perfect and not too spicy.

Main course was Chilli garlic chicken and Chicken palak. The chilli garlic chicken was very good and the taste of the chillis were just right not too hot and very ,very tasty. The Chicken Palak also was tasty and the spinach flavour was not lost with the spices.

No room for any desert. The waiters were very attentive and the restraunt was busy with other diners and takeaway but this did not impact on the service.

The owner came over and spoke for a little while and was most happy to tell us where he was from and about his other establishments.

All in all I will definatley be going back and would recommend them no problem to anyone. :)

dragonfly
14-Jun-09, 12:42
must come through when hubby is home and give it a try. We use Al Raj in Nairn (same owner) when we are down at our caravan there and its fantastic compared to others up here, tho Cinnamon in Inverness is still my No.1

anyone know if Tandoori Spice will be doing buffet nights?

ANNIE
14-Jun-09, 13:03
went last night just me and hubby for the 2nd time and it was beautiful just under £33 that was 2 starters 2 main 3 drinks thought that was very reasonable

skinnydog
14-Jun-09, 21:31
They are bound to do a buffet night, they do one in Nairn and it is just great. Thursday night down there but we will just have to wait and see.

I haven't been through yet but looking forward to my first visit. Chicken Darjeeling is my fave!!

forevera123
16-Jun-09, 02:38
They are bound to do a buffet night, they do one in Nairn and it is just great. Thursday night down there but we will just have to wait and see.

I haven't been through yet but looking forward to my first visit. Chicken Darjeeling is my fave!!
do they do pizza there, that s my favorite

Niall Fernie
16-Jun-09, 21:50
Have just come back from one of the best meals I've had in years at the new Indian Restaurant in Wick. I've had to undo my trouser button sitting here as I'm fit to burst!

What can I say, nice atmosphere, very attentive service (we had at least 3 different waiters) and the food was absolutely superb. The only thing missing is the take away menu that I forgot to ask for :)

I thought the prices were very reasonable especially when considering the quality of the food.

Also, word of mouth must be doing them a great service as it must be the busiest eatery in the county on a Tuesday night, must have been at least 20 tables occupied while we were there.

Well done to the new owners for the great service and the great food, we'll be going back for sure, very soon!!!

annthracks
30-Jun-09, 18:06
do they do pizza there, that s my favorite

I hope they don't degrade themselves! :)

Fran
30-Jun-09, 23:36

tHE ONE IN HALKIRK DOES A BUFFETT NIGHT, i GOT THEIR MENU TODAY.

shamrock2007
10-Jul-09, 19:40
Had a fantastic dinner last night. Service was 1st class. Had Chicken Tikka Chasni, mushroom rice & peshwari nan, really really good :D

jaykay
13-Jul-09, 11:23
I tried the Spice Tandoori on Saturday night and would agree that the surrounding and the staff were very good. However I thought the food left a lot to be desired and was also a tad on the expensive side. For instance you have to pay extra for the pickles that are normally free with the poppadoms. I also found the food to be very bland which is certainly something you don't expect in a good Indian Restuarant. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

KILTIECAULDBUM
13-Jul-09, 18:12
I tried the Spice Tandoori on Saturday night and would agree that the surrounding and the staff were very good. However I thought the food left a lot to be desired and was also a tad on the expensive side. For instance you have to pay extra for the pickles that are normally free with the poppadoms. I also found the food to be very bland which is certainly something you don't expect in a good Indian Restuarant. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

No, you're not alone, I was very disappointed with our takeaway. I agree that the Chicken Tikka Chasni was nice as someone else has said, but the Chicken Korma, Vegetable & Chicken Pakora were very very bland & the poppadoms were like rubber, you had to bend them & pull to get a bit off & they didn't taste very nice either. It's funny, but they tasted like the 'smell of gloss paint' if you know what I mean?? (I know what I mean anyway, :lol:)
It's the first time for a long time, that we binned more than we ate!! Just stick to making my own or going to Abs. :lol:

Where's HOTROD by the way, with the Nan Bread recipe he promised us all, to go with his Chicken Dhansak?? ;)

j_1971son
16-Jul-09, 13:58
No, you're not alone, I was very disappointed with our takeaway. I agree that the Chicken Tikka Chasni was nice as someone else has said, but the Chicken Korma, Vegetable & Chicken Pakora were very very bland & the poppadoms were like rubber, you had to bend them & pull to get a bit off & they didn't taste very nice either. It's funny, but they tasted like the 'smell of gloss paint' if you know what I mean?? (I know what I mean anyway, :lol:)
It's the first time for a long time, that we binned more than we ate!! Just stick to making my own or going to Abs. :lol:

Where's HOTROD by the way, with the Nan Bread recipe he promised us all, to go with his Chicken Dhansak?? ;)

i have to agree somewat here, i used to live in near Bradford, the curries there had much more of a kick to them, however i cannot fault the service of Tandoori Spice and i'm sure that if you asked them to add some extra spice i'm sure they would oblige. I don't think this is just because were in Wick as i have had a couple of curries while in Inverness and have come across the same problem, so if you like your curries hot ask them.

KILTIECAULDBUM
17-Jul-09, 12:08
i have to agree somewat here, i used to live in near Bradford, the curries there had much more of a kick to them, however i cannot fault the service of Tandoori Spice and i'm sure that if you asked them to add some extra spice i'm sure they would oblige. I don't think this is just because were in Wick as i have had a couple of curries while in Inverness and have come across the same problem, so if you like your curries hot ask them.

Hi.
We couldn't just ask for them to spice things up? A Korma isn't supposed to be hot or spicy & the problem was it being totally tasteless!! It is flavoured with mainly cream, coconut & ground almonds with a small hint of curry & therefore should be VERY tasty without being spicy at all, it is always one of the mildest dishes on the menu!!
Maybe I should have taken it back & asked them to make it tasty for me? [lol]

Spice Tandoori
10-Aug-09, 13:25

In reply to comment made about the popadoms this was due to our popadom machine being down we did explain to every customer who ate with us that day that the machine was down and thet the popadoms were like this.We also did not charge any customers that night when we noticed the popadom machine was down. Also about the vegetable pakora and chicken pakora being bland i find that hard to believe as so many of our customers have all given good reports regarding our food as being tasty very flavoursome and some say the best they have had. I do apologise that you did not enjoy your meal from us and sugest you try again.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Aug-09, 20:28
Went again last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

My husband tried the Dhal and Augbergine side dishes which went down well with him and he is definately a curry expert.

I again had the chilli garlic chicken which was slightly hotter this time than last but again I enjoyed it and even found hubby tucking into mine. :roll:

dragonfly
10-Aug-09, 22:38
please Mr owner of Spice Tandoori, can you buy the Indian Palace in Thurso so we can get a decent Indian restaurant this side of the county too

(not sure if the place is up for sale but the post is piling high on the doormat!)

Spice Tandoori
11-Aug-09, 18:50
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, its an honour to serve all our customers and we really appreciate the support that we get from our customers. We will surely keep this in mind and maybe in future we will be able to open a branch at Thurso as long as we have your support. Thanks again for a comment like this.
-Management
Spice Tandoori
www.spicetandoori.co.uk (http://www.spicetandoori.co.uk)

dragonfly
11-Aug-09, 21:05
we're down in Nairn a lot of weekends and go to Al Raj so know your meals are of a good quality and very very tasty, especially your bombay potatoes!!!

hotrod4
14-Aug-09, 13:52
In reply to comment made about the popadoms this was due to our popadom machine being down we did explain to every customer who ate with us that day that the machine was down and thet the popadoms were like this.We also did not charge any customers that night when we noticed the popadom machine was down. Also about the vegetable pakora and chicken pakora being bland i find that hard to believe as so many of our customers have all given good reports regarding our food as being tasty very flavoursome and some say the best they have had. I do apologise that you did not enjoy your meal from us and sugest you try again.
I too found them bland but thats my personal choice. I worked for an Asian family for most of my life and their food was amazing and flavoursome, but sorry i wasnt that impressed with it but maybe since Ive had the real Mccoy then takeaways have alot to live up to!:lol:
Poppadom machine was down? Whats wrong with the fryer? Thats where I do mine!!!:roll:
The last time i tried it the waiters were arguing with the chef and the barman was more interested in telling all the kitchen gossip to one of his friends than paying attention to what was going on. A "15 minute" wait turned into 50 minutes due to staff squabbling.
Shame as I thought it had such potential, maybe I will try again-After all 3rd time lucky!!!

ANNIE
14-Aug-09, 21:29
been umteen times an found it better everytime i go the food serice 2nd 2 none so tandoors spice keep it up :)

shazzap
14-Aug-09, 21:48
We had a meal from here and i have to say will not be going back.

dragonfly
14-Aug-09, 21:53
We had a meal from here and i have to say will not be going back.

think it would be fair to say why you wouldn't be back - at least give the owners chance to address your complaint

Margaret M.
15-Aug-09, 20:55
Had lunch there when I was over and it did not disappoint. Food was excellent -- the size of the nan bread was amazing but I managed to put it all away. Two thumbs up!

shazzap
15-Aug-09, 21:27
think it would be fair to say why you wouldn't be back - at least give the owners chance to address your complaint

Why else would i not be going back, because i didn't like it.