PDA

View Full Version : identity theft

misty woman
31-May-09, 21:33
Well at the start of last year i became a victim of identity theft,never in a million years did i think i would be a victim.It all started with somone hijacking my catalogue account on line,all my personal information was encrypted,so it must have been someone who worked for the company.They got about three thousand pounds worth of goods of my account but not only this they got my credit card details aswell and ran up thousands on it aswell.I thought i had it all sorted out ,yesterday i got a letter from a debt company telling me i was responsabile for running up debts at an address in england,i phoned the company so now i have to prove that i wasnt at the address given in the letter,not sure how to do this but my employers are going to help me if they can so now i am stressed out again about everything that happened last year.Has anyone else on here had anything like this happen to them?

dx100uk
31-May-09, 21:52
not myself.

but can i recommend a place where you will get excellent free advice and support from hundreds who have travelled the same road.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/identity-theft/

dx

balto
31-May-09, 22:04
this is terriable, would you catalogue and other account they hacked not beable to verify what happened.

misty woman
31-May-09, 22:10
this is terriable, would you catalogue and other account they hacked not beable to verify what happened.
im not sure,i have actually closed the account that it happened with,not sure who to talk to about it!

balto
31-May-09, 22:14
phone your cab office they will beable to help you

dx100uk
31-May-09, 22:16
i can certainly help, have years of exp with the above group
but p'haps this forum is not the place to do it, thats why i recommend the above group and i'll start the ball rolling.

we have many free legal people too.

if you do join pm me the details or if you wish to pm here about your troubles, please do

dx

misty woman
31-May-09, 22:17
never thought of that,i was thinking of going to speak to the police,but will try cab first.thanks balto!

Venture
31-May-09, 22:21
Surely your bank should be able to help you out. If the original problem was sorted, they will have proof that your card was used fraudulently. If you have lived at your same address over the past year and paid council tax, HRC can prove that you were not at some other address in England. How did this debt collecting company get your real address?

misty woman
31-May-09, 22:22
i can certainly help, have years of exp with the above group
but p'haps this forum is not the place to do it, thats why i recommend the above group and i'll start the ball rolling.

we have many free legal people too.

if you do join pm me the details or if you wish to pm here about your troubles, please do

dx
thankyou for the info dx100uk,i have just had enough of this whole situation i thought it was all sorted out last year

misty woman
31-May-09, 22:30
Surely your bank should be able to help you out. If the original problem was sorted, they will have proof that your card was used fraudulently. If you have lived at your same address over the past year and paid council tax, HRC can prove that you were not at some other address in England. How did this debt collecting company get your real address?
my bank was really good when this happened and they sorted it out for me and i got all my money back.obviously the person who stole my id is still using it,they have said i was living at this address in england when i wasnt(i have never been in england)i have to send a copy of my council tax bill and my employers are also providing all the info i need to prove i was at my work to this debt company!

Venture
31-May-09, 22:56
Well you can't be living in two places at once. If you have evidence that you were living at your address at the time concerned then you have nothing to worry about. You should contact the debt company concerned and tell them about your ID being stolen last year. Your catalogue company at the time surely would have involved the police if a member of staff had passed on your details to a third party or used it themselves, especially as thousands of pounds were involved. This is fraud. With such a lot of money involved you should have gone to the police yourself at the time. Perhaps if you had you wouldn't be in this situation now.

balto
31-May-09, 23:01
Well you can't be living in two places at once. If you have evidence that you were living at your address at the time concerned then you have nothing to worry about. You should contact the debt company concerned and tell them about your ID being stolen last year. Your catalogue company at the time surely would have involved the police if a member of staff had passed on your details to a third party or used it themselves, especially as thousands of pounds were involved. This is fraud. With such a lot of money involved you should have gone to the police yourself at the time. Perhaps if you had you wouldn't be in this situation now.
oh get over yourself for gods sake this situatuion can happen to anyone, i cant imagine the stress misty woman must be feeling, she really doesnt need some know it all making her feel worse.

misty woman
31-May-09, 23:04
phoned the company involved yesterday actually,told them everything they need to know so hopefully it will be sorted soon, my employers are helping me,and i also have other info to forward to the company.tell me how i could go to the police when the catalogue would accept no responsibility for what happened so until you know what i went through last year please dont tell me what i should have done.

balto
31-May-09, 23:05
phoned the company involved yesterday actually,told them everything they need to know so hopefully it will be sorted soon, my employers are helping me,and i also have other info to forward to the company.tell me how i could go to the police when the catalogue would accept no responsibility for what happened so until you know what i went through last year please dont tell me what i should have done.
well said, dont let folk like this get to you, they know nothing.

misty woman
31-May-09, 23:07
oh get over yourself for gods sake this situatuion can happen to anyone, i cant imagine the stress misty woman must be feeling, she really doesnt need some know it all making her feel worse.thankyou balto for your support!

balto
31-May-09, 23:08
thankyou balto for your support!
no bother the bills in the post lol.

misty woman
31-May-09, 23:09
well said, dont let folk like this get to you, they know nothing.
people like this dont bother me,hopefully they will never know what it is like to have someone else living with your identity!

kriklah
31-May-09, 23:12
a few years ago someone used my name to open a catalogue account at an address i had lived at previouly, i guess some junk mail was still going there with my name on it. having ordered over £300 worth of stuff and not paid for it, the catalogue handed over to a debt collection ageny. they in turn appeard to use the phone book to track me down! and sent a letter addressed to me but to my brother in laws address (where i have never lived) and he passed it on to me.

i then contacted the agency and informed them that this was not my account, they referred me back to the catalogue. i was then able to prove that i had not lived at the address for over 3 years(and at the time the orderes were placed) by sending them copies of my bank statements (copies confirm stamped by the bank)with my current adress for that whole time span. i also gave them contact details (and contacted myself) of the naval department that delt with married quaters since the old address was naval property. this also gave proof of when i had moved from there but also would have been able to find out just who was living there at the time the orders were made, thereby catching the culprit. (tho once id managed to prove it wasnt my fault i never heard anything from them again)

dx100uk
31-May-09, 23:30
here is a link to register with CAG

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

then use the other link and log-in, then click on start new thread on the left box

BTW: if its a DCA [debt collection agency] on your tail, you can ignore them, they have no legal powers at all. anyone can be a dca!.

anyhow, lets get your registered on cag and getting help

dx

Venture
31-May-09, 23:39
so now i have to prove that i wasnt at the address given in the letter,not sure how to do this

If you didn't want anyone to reply to your thread you should have said so.

im not sure,i have actually closed the account that it happened with,not sure who to talk to about it!

Why give people the impression you are looking for advice?

never thought of that,i was thinking of going to speak to the police,but will try cab first.thanks balto!

You mention you thought about going to the police but jump down my throat when I suggest it.

oh get over yourself for gods sake this situatuion can happen to anyone, i cant imagine the stress misty woman must be feeling, she really doesnt need some know it all making her feel worse.
If anybody needs to get over herself balto its you. What gives you the right to call me a "know it all" just because I replied to this thread?

For your information I do know what it feels like.

people like this dont bother me,hopefully they will never know what it is like to have someone else living with your identity!

Venture
31-May-09, 23:54
thankyou balto for your support!

thanks balto!
Well balto it seems like you can do no wrong in misty woman's eyes with your advice. I wonder why?[lol]

butterfly
01-Jun-09, 01:17
BTW: if its a DCA [debt collection agency] on your tail, you can ignore them, they have no legal powers at all. anyone can be a dca!.

dx

Good piece of information there for you Misty Woman,try not to worry too much about it,i am sure you will get it sorted and it should be easy to prove that you have lived at your address while this fraud has been going on in England.

Geo
01-Jun-09, 14:47

I hope you get it sorted quickly, it must be very stressful.

Personally I would have gone to the police. That way any future hassles can be helped by giving an incident number from them. Not having a go just trying to show that it could be useful, no matter what the catalogue said.

The catalogue company may be right and it was nothing to do with them. One of the ways this can happen is websites can download software to your pc without your knowledge, or it can be hidden in attachments in emails. This software can allow access to your PC and provide information such as usernames and passwords as it logs them as you type then sends them to the fraudster. Up to date anti spyware software can help. There are some free ones such as:

Spyboy Search and Destroy
Spywareblaster
Adaware
Superantispyware

I use a couple of them and all four if I think a PC I'm using is infected with something. Useful for less dangerous spyware too such as stuff causing advertising popups.

I hope you get it resolved once and for all. Let us know how you get on.

balto
01-Jun-09, 16:28
Well balto it seems like you can do no wrong in misty woman's eyes with your advice. I wonder why?[lol]
and whats that supposed to mean, aye she is my sister but i would feel the same for anyone in teh same situation.

oldmarine
01-Jun-09, 18:18
I have been a victim of Identity Theft and have been fighting the results for nearly 2 years. It started with someone getting my renewal credit cards and gambling on-line with it. I contacted my bank who canceled the credit cards. My name has shown up at towns in 4 different states in the USA. My credit reports have been mailed to two different addresses. I went to my local bank to have a statement placed on all my accounts that my address is not to be changed unless I (in person at my local bank) authorize it. Identity theft can be frustrating. Working in person with my bank has allowed me to be reimbursed for all my losses.
:(:(

oldmarine
01-Jun-09, 18:21
I likewise called the local police in the two towns and gave them the address where my statements were mailed. Don't know what happened with that.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:07
If you didn't want anyone to reply to your thread you should have said so.

Why give people the impression you are looking for advice?

You mention you thought about going to the police but jump down my throat when I suggest it.

If anybody needs to get over herself balto its you. What gives you the right to call me a "know it all" just because I replied to this thread?

For your information I do know what it feels like.Excuse me venture,but i never asked for advice,i only asked if anyone else had the same thing happen to them!

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:09
Good piece of information there for you Misty Woman,try not to worry too much about it,i am sure you will get it sorted and it should be easy to prove that you have lived at your address while this fraud has been going on in England.thankyou butterfly.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:11
I hope you get it sorted quickly, it must be very stressful.

Personally I would have gone to the police. That way any future hassles can be helped by giving an incident number from them. Not having a go just trying to show that it could be useful, no matter what the catalogue said.

The catalogue company may be right and it was nothing to do with them. One of the ways this can happen is websites can download software to your pc without your knowledge, or it can be hidden in attachments in emails. This software can allow access to your PC and provide information such as usernames and passwords as it logs them as you type then sends them to the fraudster. Up to date anti spyware software can help. There are some free ones such as:

Spyboy Search and Destroy
Spywareblaster
Adaware
Superantispyware

I use a couple of them and all four if I think a PC I'm using is infected with something. Useful for less dangerous spyware too such as stuff causing advertising popups.

I hope you get it resolved once and for all. Let us know how you get on.thankyou for the advice geo

Venture
01-Jun-09, 22:23
Excuse me venture,but i never asked for advice

Well excuse me, misty woman, but you certainly got it, wanted or not, and it wasn't only me that gave it.[lol]

Most posters on this website are grateful for any advice when they have a problem.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:25
Well excuse me, misty woman, but you certainly got it, wanted or not, and it wasn't only me that gave it.[lol]
yes i know but everyone else was nice about it not like some!

balto
01-Jun-09, 22:29

Most posters on this website are grateful for any advice when they have a problem.
you call that advice. to me you just seemed to be having a dig.

misty do you have any nice neighbours who could verify also that you were living at your address when this happened, sure you could fine one.

Venture
01-Jun-09, 22:34
yes i know but everyone else was nice about it not like some!

So which is the offending post.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:36
So which is the offending post.have a guess!

butterfly
01-Jun-09, 22:39
OK here goes..the way i read it was Misty was asking if anyone has had anything like this happen to them.I didnt read anything sarky in Misty's reply's and i notice she didnt just thank Balto but DX100uk and others too.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:40
OK here goes..the way i read it was Misty was asking if anyone has had anything like this happen to them.I didnt read anything sarky in Misty's reply's and i notice she didnt just thank Balto but DX100uk and others too.thankyou butterfly.

TBH
01-Jun-09, 22:41
Well you can't be living in two places at once. If you have evidence that you were living at your address at the time concerned then you have nothing to worry about. You should contact the debt company concerned and tell them about your ID being stolen last year. Your catalogue company at the time surely would have involved the police if a member of staff had passed on your details to a third party or used it themselves, especially as thousands of pounds were involved. This is fraud. With such a lot of money involved you should have gone to the police yourself at the time. Perhaps if you had you wouldn't be in this situation now.Personaly I can see nothing offensive in this post whatsoever, just sound advice.

balto
01-Jun-09, 22:42
have a guess!
venture must know which one it was as it was changed since last night.

Venture
01-Jun-09, 22:45
I really have to laugh at you misty woman and congratulate you as being the first person to bad rep me since I joined the org. with the comment "grow up". Kettle calling the pot black there I'd say. Oh and don't bother thanking me.

misty woman
01-Jun-09, 22:47
I really have to laugh at you misty woman and congratulate you as being the first person to bad rep me with the words "grow up". Kettle calling the pot black there I'd say. Oh and don't bother thanking me.dont think i would ever thankyou!

balto
01-Jun-09, 22:50
I really have to laugh at you misty woman and congratulate you as being the first person to bad rep me with the words "grow up". Kettle calling the pot black there I'd say. Oh and don't bother thanking me.
why oh why are you turning this into a battle ground, misty asked for advice and you are sinking the thread faster than the titanic.

TBH
01-Jun-09, 23:01
why oh why are you turning this into a battle ground, misty asked for advice and you are sinking the thread faster than the titanic.
Misty herself stated that she wasn't looking for advice, she was looking for people that had the same problems that she was experiencing.

Venture
01-Jun-09, 23:05

venture must know which one it was as it was changed since last night.

Yes I freely admit I changed the second sentence in the above post. It originally read "The word Beverley springs to mind".

How the fact that I mentioned that I knew that you were sisters can be classed as an offending post baffles me, particularly since you both announced it in a recent thread. That's where I saw it.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=543814#post543814

balto
02-Jun-09, 08:28
Yes I freely admit I changed the second sentence in the above post. It originally read "The word Beverley springs to mind".

How the fact that I mentioned that I knew that you were sisters can be classed as an offending post baffles me, particularly since you both announced it in a recent thread. That's where I saw it.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=543814#post543814
totally pointless this whole thing, going to stand aside now as its a wee bit boring, who cares if we are sisters, that has nothing to do with anything i write on here, i would support anyone even you if it ever happened to you.

02-Jun-09, 18:10
Thread locked at the request of the OP