PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me

majic
31-May-09, 21:13
Can anyone tell me what the bird is call that sounds like it is pumping up a bike tyre, i did see it but to fast to seeplease and thank you.

dafi
01-Jun-09, 09:39
Was it a pumpy farty sound or was it a squeeky air escaping sound? Could you explain it a wee bit more. What sort of habitat was it in. What impresion of colour of size did you get. What time of day was it ..light or dark.

majic
01-Jun-09, 11:58
The sound is like a squeak of a hand pump and it is a medium size bird longish bill plain in colour and any time of the day it is about and the land is heather rushes and grass.

fudge100
02-Jun-09, 01:36
your explanation of the sound it makes is very vauge.but could it also be described as a high pitched zrring noise? your description of the bird being smallish with a long beak and fast in flight sounds to me like a snipe. if so the noise it makes is not actually vocal, it is actually made by the air rushing through its wings and causing the feathers to vibrate as it stoops.when it makes this sound it is termed as a snipe drumming.

dafi
02-Jun-09, 07:39
Morning majic

I think it might be an idea to eliminate some of the common species. Have a look at this link. Just click on birds and song. Its all straight forward to use.

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Welcome

Start with Snipe, Curlew, Oystercatcher and Redshank. And see if you recognise any of them!! Some of the smaller birds may fit as well. The display calls of the Meadow Pipit might be worth a listen to.

nirofo
04-Jun-09, 02:16
Is this the bird you saw?

Snipe.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Snipe-stood-in-pool.jpg

nirofo.

majic
07-Jun-09, 19:50
Not sure, i did see a pic of a snipe in flight but it didn't look like the one i saw. The best way to describe the way it flew was like a w on its side. I haven't seen it lately.

majic
10-Jun-09, 19:26
I had a close encounter, i was walking across the field and nearly stood on the thing, i didn't see it, it flew so fast i still didn't get a good look scared the life out of me.