PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Prices In Wick/thurso

COACHMAN
09-Mar-06, 18:23
NOTICE THE PRICES HAVE GONE UP AGAIN IN WICK AND THURSO .[mad]
CHEAPEST PRICE IN CAITHNESS CAN BE FOUND ON WWW.PETROLPRICES.COM (http://www.PETROLPRICES.COM).
HOW CAN TWO TOWNS 21 MILES APART HAVE SUCH DIFFERAT PRICES AS IT IS THE SAME SUPPLY FOR SOME OF THE OUTLETS ?

ice box
09-Mar-06, 18:41
i always fill up at the skaich it's 91.p litre morrison super market in alness is 90.p a litre but there seems to be a lack of power when i get fuel from there it must be cheappy fuel . it a disgrace the price of fuel between wick and thurso the last time i was there it was nearly a pound a litre for petrol and wick was 96.p litre i say another blockage should sort the price out lol

Billy Boy
09-Mar-06, 18:44
why do all the garages in thurso move prices at the same time

ice box
09-Mar-06, 18:47
Cause there all hungry for the pound lol

landmarker
09-Mar-06, 19:33
I do not like Morrison's fuel at all.
I'm convinced it's inferior and this is not just an urban myth. Or a rural one come to that.

theone
09-Mar-06, 20:20

In america during prohibition the different mafia families all sold bootleg whisky for the same price. Lowering prices and starting a price war would only affect all of their pockets.

rfr10
09-Mar-06, 20:26
Check out www.pipelinecard.org for cheaper fuel.

Tristan
09-Mar-06, 21:47
If it is price fixing these were two of many interesting links on the subject

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8F2EF6B4-AC4D-4373-99D1-9877FD4DA3CE/0/oft606.pdf

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792322

Price fixing and the law
Competition law prohibits almost any attempt to fix prices - for example, you cannot:

agree prices with your competitors, eg you can't agree to work from a shared minimum price list
share markets or limit production to raise prices, eg if two contracts are put out to tender you can't agree that you'll bid for one and let your competitor bid for the other
impose minimum prices on different distributors such as shops
agree with your competitors what purchase price you will offer your suppliers
cut prices below cost in order to force a smaller or weaker competitor out of the market
The law doesn't just cover formal agreements. It also includes other activities with a price-fixing effect. For example, you shouldn't discuss your pricing plans with your competitors. If you then all "happen" to raise your prices, you are fixing prices.

Consequences
The law is enforced by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). It can impose a fine of up to 10 per cent of your turnover. It can also apply for company directors to be disqualified.

If you are found to be part of a cartel you could even face criminal prosecution and jail - see the page in this guide on cartels and the law.

Normally, the OFT is unlikely to act on agreements between competitors if your combined market share is less than 25 per cent. Even so, the law has two other important effects on every business:

Any price-fixing agreement is unenforceable. If a competitor suddenly decides to undercut you, you can't complain about it.
Customers and other competitors can sue you for any loss caused by your price fixing.

Stargazer
09-Mar-06, 23:20
A few years ago petrol in Wick was always more expensive than Thurso. The reason then was that the fuel was landed in Scrabster and tankered to Wick hence the extra cost. But now the price is the other way round. Very strange.

More so when places like Lairg are cheaper again. And interestingly a little garage in the back of beyond half way between Forres and Grantown was selling petrol at the same price at Inverness Tesco.

Chillie
10-Mar-06, 01:38
Cheapest petrol i have seen so far is Asda in perth 87.9p

landmarker
10-Mar-06, 17:15
Cheapest petrol i have seen so far is Asda in perth 87.9p

I can beat that.
Five and threepence. (28p) - for a gallon of the stuff.
Tops filling station , Chester Road, Stretford.
c.1968. I must have seen it even cheaper but I can't say I remember it.

Happy flippin' daze.

Saveman
10-Mar-06, 17:25
I can beat that.
Five and threepence. (28p) - for a gallon of the stuff.
Tops filling station , Chester Road, Stretford.
c.1968. I must have seen it even cheaper but I can't say I remember it.

Happy flippin' daze.

If only my time machine ran on 4-star....... :p

2little2late
10-Mar-06, 18:48
What I tend to do is buy petrol from whichever is the cheapest, that way they are getting one more customer and the one I bought it from has one less customer. If everyone did this then the dearer filling stations will start to feel the pinch.

wicker
10-Mar-06, 19:44
aye im the same i always goto the cheapest one in wick which is never richards more often elm tree sometimes dunnetts tho, must admit dont goto lochshell dont like it out there