PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation of a word

Olin
28-May-09, 10:16
I was just wondering how the pronounciation of a certain word came about...

If you take the word "Stay" spelt ending in an "a-y" it has the same pronounciation as the letter "a."

Hopefully everyone understands that!

My question or query is, how come the small villiage of "Ardgay" is prnounced with the same sound of the word "guy?"

I have often thought about this as I hear the announcer announce the next stop on the train as I travel to Inverness.....

If anyone could clear this up I may get a better nights sleep tonight!

Thanks! :)

MadPict
28-May-09, 10:47
"Hardgay" is a Japanese comedian, wrestler and tarento. Guess the train announcer didn't want to confuse the Japanese tourists?

joxville
28-May-09, 11:05
What it comes down to is who would you rather meet getting of a train: an 'ard guy or an 'ard gay? :eek: [lol]

crayola
28-May-09, 11:37
My question or query is, how come the small villiage of "Ardgay" is prnounced with the same sound of the word "guy?"I'd imagine the name and its pronunciation came first and the 'gay' spelling came later but that doesn't really help with the original puzzle. :confused

Rheghead
28-May-09, 12:50
They don't want any butch but homosexual connotations.

Fluff
28-May-09, 12:56
I have often thought the same thing about Berkshire. Pronounced Barkshire, spelt Berkshire.
We have an odd language!

Gizmo
28-May-09, 13:15
And why is 'Celtic'(kel-tic) pronounced 'Sell-tic'?

Olin
28-May-09, 13:17
Yeah some words are weird!

I remember in high school the music teacher used to annoy us by telling us to play the chord of "G" on guitar and would say,

"Play a g, as in g for gnome"

Wound some people right up!

TBH
28-May-09, 13:17
Slough and tough, that one confused the Germans in an episode of Dad's Army.

feegilmour
28-May-09, 18:39
canna answer ur question Olin but Ardgay is a lovely wee village 2 live in

cuddlepop
28-May-09, 19:19
Uig on Skye is pronounced O ig,mum alwas got it wrong no matter how mant times we told her.:lol:

Tourist have fun over here trying to pronounce the names.

George Brims
28-May-09, 21:42
To pronounce words correctly, it is necessary to first spell them correctly. As in "pronunciation" (not "pronounciation").

There, that's my pedantic post of the day out of the way.

balto
28-May-09, 21:58
nee naw nee naw, grammer police in the building.[lol]

Each
28-May-09, 22:08
Ardgay is an English translation of the Gaelic Name - "Ard Gaoithe"
The pronunciation - "Ard Guy" would correct in gaelic (excentuate the "U")

This means "Place of the high wind" - not sure if this is a natural phenomena or a joke at the expense of a gossipy/blethery community !

sweetpea
28-May-09, 22:55

Cum an arrest me an take ma particulars down, officer[lol]

crayola
28-May-09, 23:31
Ardgay is an English translation of the Gaelic Name - "Ard Gaoithe"
The pronunciation - "Ard Guy" would correct in gaelic (excentuate the "U")

This means "Place of the high wind" - not sure if this is a natural phenomena or a joke at the expense of a gossipy/blethery community !Thanks for the explanation Each. I wondered if it was something like that, I knew 'ard' was high but I didn't get the other bit.

Connor.
29-May-09, 05:15
"Hardgay" is a Japanese comedian, wrestler and tarento. Guess the train announcer didn't want to confuse the Japanese tourists?

HARDO GAY FOOOOOO

he certainly is strange that guy

susan.leith
29-May-09, 16:06
On a similar theme, please help an outsider............. how do you pronounce Halkirk? Does it rhyme with "Falkirk"? Or does the "Hal" rhyme with "pal"?

Rheghead
29-May-09, 17:16

You spelt grammar wrong.;)

Gizmo
29-May-09, 17:55
On a similar theme, please help an outsider............. how do you pronounce Halkirk? Does it rhyme with "Falkirk"? Or does the "Hal" rhyme with "pal"?

Hall-kirk....

TBH
29-May-09, 21:30
Hall-kirk....Or perhaps, Hawcrick?

wifie
29-May-09, 21:34
Emm can I put Hack-rake in 'e mix! Mibbe that is a Thursa thing! ;)

TBH
29-May-09, 21:45
Emm can I put Hack-rake in 'e mix! Mibbe that is a Thursa thing! ;)Pedant...................................Typical of the great unwashed Teainabowla.

wifie
29-May-09, 22:10
Pedant...................................Typical of the great unwashed Teainabowla.

Who are you callin unwashed? [disgust] I have a bath every year whether I need it or not - and I dinna mean a dip in 'e Trinkie! :Razz

TBH
29-May-09, 22:18
Who are you callin unwashed? [disgust] I have a bath every year whether I need it or not - and I dinna mean a dip in 'e Trinkie! :RazzHev ye evin got, modern, ootdoor bathing facilities such as e' Trinkie?

Each
31-May-09, 22:55
Emm can I put Hack-rake in 'e mix! Mibbe that is a Thursa thing! ;)

Funnily enough - this is the gaelic name for Halkirk (Hacraig) - pronounced just as you said it.

wifie
31-May-09, 23:07
Funnily enough - this is the gaelic name for Halkirk (Hacraig) - pronounced just as you said it.

Wahoo I was speakin gaelic! In yer face TBH! [lol]

butterfly
01-Jun-09, 00:28
Wahoo I was speakin gaelic! In yer face TBH! [lol]

You tell him Wifie!![lol]

leafylass
02-Jun-09, 18:53
On a similar note there is the district of Milngavie in Glasgow (or burbs of Glasgow) which is pronounced Milguy which is even more confusing as it doesn't sound anything like it is spelt!

Each
02-Jun-09, 21:26
Milngavie - is the english tranlsation of the gaelic - Muileann Dhaibhidh (meaning Davids Mill)

The mul-guy is a pretty close to the Gaelic pronunciation - but as per their sterotype - the weegies like to chew on their words a bit before letting them out into the world.

joxville
02-Jun-09, 21:34
Milngavie - is the english tranlsation of the gaelic - Muileann Dhaibhidh (meaning Davids Mill)

The mul-guy is a pretty close to the Gaelic pronunciation - but as per their sterotype - the weegies like to chew on their words a bit before letting them out into the world.

It smacks of being stereotypical of a *Northerner to refer to Glaswegians as weegies? :roll:

*Or do you prefer Teuchter? [lol]

wifie
02-Jun-09, 23:07
It smacks of being stereotypical of a *Northerner to refer to Glaswegians as weegies? :roll:
*Or do you prefer Teuchter? [lol]

I thought you weren't from Glasgow so what ya moanin about? I also thought you liked to not be pc so, again, what ya moanin about? ;)

golach
03-Jun-09, 11:36
found this on another web site, thought you might like to see this

Our glorious language.

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you
On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.

Well done! And now you wish perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird.

And dead: it’s said like bed, not bead –
For goodness sake don’t call it ‘deed’!
Watch out for meat and great and threat,
They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.

And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart –
Come, come, I’ve hardly made a start!

A dreadful language? Man alive,
I’d mastered it when I was five.

joxville
04-Jun-09, 00:52
I thought you weren't from Glasgow so what ya moanin about? I also thought you liked to not be pc so, again, what ya moanin about? ;)

Did I say I was from Glasgow? Hmmmm.........nope. I was pointing out the irony of Each's post.

Each
04-Jun-09, 21:06
Which bit do you find offensive - the term weegie - shorthand for glaswegian - surely not.

If you were going to take offense why not pick on my observation that glaswegians speak differently from others.

No - lets steer a course well away from received pronunciation - I'm for all our fabulous dialects - its a shame telly is gradually taking the edge off them and were all moving towards a standardised telly dialect.

Make an effort to look for the differences in everyone I meet and enjoy the beauty of Doric, Scots and Caithness and the music of every other community

robglysen
04-Jun-09, 21:49
I'm always having this debate with a workmate, mostly about the name Mackay. The Kay bit is aways pronounced to rhyme with Die but its spelt like Day. Makes no sense to me, but try saying it wrong when theres a Mackay about!

I find Halkirk seems to be pronounced HOLkirk, the A is completely changed to another letter!

Also Calder is pronounced COLder. I got such a ribbing for that one too.

All in good humour though. I think.

joxville
04-Jun-09, 22:01
Which bit do you find offensive - the term weegie - shorthand for glaswegian - surely not.

If you were going to take offense why not pick on my observation that glaswegians speak differently from others.

No - lets steer a course well away from received pronunciation - I'm for all our fabulous dialects - its a shame telly is gradually taking the edge off them and were all moving towards a standardised telly dialect.

Make an effort to look for the differences in everyone I meet and enjoy the beauty of Doric, Scots and Caithness and the music of every other community

Gonnae no say that...a' wisnae offended pal, a wis jist pointin oot the irony o' yer use o' the word 'stereotypical'. :D