PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Gaelic Signposters..?

jings00
27-May-09, 23:47
noticed a sign up on Granville Crescent??, handmade by the looks and hand painted (tho a tidy job) .. and in Gaelic. I doubt it is an "official" one. For some reason this really annoyed me, lol
Anyone else seen any rogue Gaelic signs??

Anne x
27-May-09, 23:48
noticed a sign up on Granville Crescent??, handmade by the looks and hand painted (tho a tidy job) .. and in Gaelic. I doubt it is an "official" one. For some reason this really annoyed me, lol
Anyone else seen any rogue Gaelic signs??

Why were you annoyed just admire the craftsman /woman

webmannie
27-May-09, 23:49
Go on then what did it say?

Kodiak
27-May-09, 23:58
If it has been done Unofficially the it is not allowed as the Council class it as damage to Roadside Furniture.

jings00
28-May-09, 11:44
it says... "sraid chleraint", wi a thing above "a"
i don't know exactly why it annoyed me, lol...it just did.
but like i say,, it is a very tidy job.
( i can only assume it is the street's name...with "chleraint" being "crescent" )
(and again i assume it is the gaelic,,,i'm not a speaker of it )

crayola
28-May-09, 12:04
Sráid is Gaelic for street.

jings00
28-May-09, 15:36
riiiiiiiiiiiiight... a passerby just asked what it meant,,, i hadny a clue
(i had to look up the name of the street in english, never mind the other)

tootler
28-May-09, 15:46
I think it might be Clarence Street? My friend mentioned it yesterday - that's where she lives - it certainly took her by surprise! Who'd have thought, eh, Gaelic activists in our midst - whatever next?!:lol:

crayola
29-May-09, 00:18
Thanks, my limited language skills don't stretch to knowing the Gaelic form of Clarence.

I wait with bated breath for the Gaelic signs for Thorkel Road, Hakon Road, Sigurd Road, Thorfinn Terrace, Rendel Govan Road, Harald Drive, Brabster Street, Olrig Street, ..............................

webmannie
29-May-09, 12:22
I'm still waiting for the gaelic translation of helicopter

jings00
29-May-09, 13:59
the sign has been removed now.......
it's not like the original sign was taken down and replaced with the phantom gaelic kiddies....the sign was missing in the first place.