PDA

View Full Version : 10 things you need to know about losing weight.

Rheghead
27-May-09, 21:40
Did anyone watch this programme (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ksh7c) tonight? Any thoughts? Very interesting stuff done in a easily explained scientific way.

The bit most interesting for me was the woman who was convinced she had a slow metabolic rate because she was fat despite she thought she ate all the right stuff. She just was eating more of the right stuff and wasn't counting calories.

Tristan
27-May-09, 22:04
I caught a snippet of it. It seemed to be compilation of ideas from other studies which isn't a bad thing. I noticed they talked about mild cardio exercise but didn't seem to touch on strength training which is a shame.

Gizmo
27-May-09, 22:08
Did anyone watch this programme (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ksh7c) tonight? Any thoughts? Very interesting stuff done in a easily explained scientific way.

The bit most interesting for me was the woman who was convinced she had a slow metabolic rate because she was fat but thought she ate all the right stuff. She just was eating more of the right stuff and wasn't counting calories.

Aye, did you see the size of that fruit salad she had for breakfast?, i thought she maybe worked in a Zoo :lol:

It was a great program, given me some good hints and tips, i actually bought a digital scale outta Tesco tonight, so that i can get an accurate count of my daily calorie intake, cos' i don't eat fried food, junk food....or even a lot of food, i go to the gym every second day and cover between 250/300km a month on the gym cycle apparatus, plus i do weights at every gym session, but i just can't seem to shake the small amount of belly fat that i'm still carrying from my hard living days, i've put on plenty new muscle mass, but just can't shift that remaining belly fat.

It's true what was said in the program about totally underestimating what you believe your calorie intake is, if you asked me how many calories i had for a normal breakfast i would have said about 200cal maximum, that's a bowl of bran flakes with raisins, full fat milk, and a sprinkling of candarel, well i've just done some rough calculations with new new scales and it looks like my breakfast cereal calorie count is around 380cal, and some mornings i'll also have a couple of slices of toast with peanut butter, which looks like it's just over 250cal, i think i'm in for a bit of a shock with my daily calorie count :lol:
I may be on water and soup for a while :p

MadPict
27-May-09, 22:13
Eat more dairy, eat more protein for breakfast, exercise in your sleep, eat less fruit - all things I practice!!!!!!!!

Tristan
27-May-09, 22:15
Another good way to check your calories is to go to fitday.com

Anne x
27-May-09, 23:44
Simple Answer Eat less , Drink less , No Takeaways , Excercise more , Dont Smoke, Walk instead of Drive and Die of Boredom ;)

teenybash
28-May-09, 00:00
Sorry but, I thinks these programmes are rubbish though they may help motivate people to eat more in proportion.
My theory is to,,,, Have a large helping of will power with every meal and look on food as the fuel that your body runs on.....don't flood your engine as it will only die out on you.......;)

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 00:04
Thanks for that link Rheghead, I found that programme very interesting.

northener
28-May-09, 09:12
Another good way to check your calories is to go to fitday.com

I thought that was a website for Aberdonians who don't know what day it is..........;)

Gizmo
28-May-09, 09:30
I thought that was a website for Aberdonians who don't know what day it is..........;)

No, that would be fitdaylike.com :D

achingale
28-May-09, 11:43
Simple Answer Eat less , Drink less , No Takeaways , Excercise more , Dont Smoke, Walk instead of Drive and Die of Boredom ;)

Well said!

Fluff
28-May-09, 12:40
I started watching it last night and thought it was a good programme. Sadly I had a stinking headache and fell asleep half way through lol!

I enjoyed the one about sleep too, I hope they make more of these 10 things..

Olin
28-May-09, 13:46
First off I didn't watch the program, however I do have this to say:

It's not about what your putting into your body it's about what your taking away!

You could eat 50 Donuts a day if you wanted however you would need to exercise way more to burn them off!

Think about how much time you can give to exercise and what kinds you can do and then decide what you want to eat!

This article on olympic swimmer Michael Phelps shows how it all evens out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7562840.stm

Gizmo
28-May-09, 14:10
First off I didn't watch the program, however I do have this to say:

It's not about what your putting into your body it's about what your taking away!

You could eat 50 Donuts a day if you wanted however you would need to exercise way more to burn them off!

Think about how much time you can give to exercise and what kinds you can do and then decide what you want to eat!

This article on olympic swimmer Michael Phelps shows how it all evens out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7562840.stm

To equate what Michael Phelps does, with your average person is completely ridiculous.

And your 50 doughnuts has 18750kcal and 980g of fat, of which 290g is saturated.
To burn that off you would have to run about 350 miles if you are 12 and a half stone in weight, it's just a really stupid thing to say.

Rheghead
28-May-09, 14:18
What I liked about the programme was that it wasn't selling you a dieting plan, just good informative tips on how to lose weight without much effort based on what seemed sound medical findings.

Just watch it on iplayer.

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 14:23
What I liked about the programme was that it wasn't selling you a dieting plan, just good informative tips on how to lose weight without much effort.

Just watch it on iplayer.

I think that is what kept me interested to watch the whole programme.

Mr,s M just watched it on the iplayer and she also was very inspired by it, however not enough to miss our Orgers curry night tonight.:Razz

Geo
28-May-09, 16:34
1 thing I know about losing weight is....I'm starving! My stomach thinks my throat's cut!

Hey ho, no pain no gain, I mean loss. :)

starry
28-May-09, 17:46
I liked the science side of it all, I was really interested to see why things worked.

I was amazed that there are actually changes in the way the brain operates when it hasn't had breakfast.
To see it on the scan was really interesting.

I am another one who will be looking at my portion sizes, they are not anywhere are big as the girl on the shows but they are not as lights as they should be.

cuddlepop
28-May-09, 19:29
What I find difficult to do is really cut down on the portion size as I know you need less calories the older you get....its just my stomach doesnt.:lol:

A_Usher
28-May-09, 19:31
I thought it was a pretty good program.
If you are looking for calories of UK food,a good site is:
http://foodfocus.co.uk, and its free, unlike the majority or nutrition sites out there.

There is the thought that 6 meals a day, basically eating 3 hours appart, is a good way to work dieting, making sure you consume the correct amount of protein and carbs, especially if you are working out.

If anyone wants to know what their estimated basic metabolic rate is, with and without exercise then let me know, i have a spreadsheet that calculates it, along with Heart Rate Zones for training etc, estimate calories required for cutting, maintenance etc. A few people are already using it.

If anyone is working out and cutting weight then a better method than the household scales is measuring body fat with callipers, and they are much cheaper than scales, around 10 pounds for the accumeasure, and again if anyone wants info on that let me know, i have a spreadsheet that will calculate your daily calorie intake, measurement on callipers and appropriate calories required per goal etc.

sweetpea
28-May-09, 23:00
I reckon everyone knows their own bodies. If I eat wheat I feel sick to the core and if I eat when my brain says I'm full I regret it for days. If it works work it! If I need to lose weight I do MY OWN THING and that works for me...;)

Gizmo
04-Jun-09, 21:38
Well, i have finally managed to shift some weight, half a stone in 6 days, that was with a very strict calorie controlled diet of between 1300min/1600max calories a day and loads of exercise, 129km cycling and a few weights sessions in the gym. It's tough going....i mean REALLY tough going cutting back to that amount of calories...and weighing out every single thing you eat is a real pain, i've had the shakes a couple of times and just had to get something to eat, but apart from that i feel great, i think that may be down to drinking the same amount of water that's currently in Watten Loch :lol: a couple more weeks of this and i should have shifted all the fat i want :D

And who ever it was that recommended www.fitday.com then thanks, it's a brilliant site and has been perfect for keeping a log of my calorie intake.

And a big thanks to Andrew Usher for all the great advice via email, if it wasn't for your help i'd still be exercising hard but getting nowhere with the weight loss.

It's ALL about the calories folks

Rheghead
05-Jun-09, 14:44
And who ever it was that recommended www.fitday.com then thanks, it's a brilliant site and has been perfect for keeping a log of my calorie intake.

Yep, I've opened an account as well and it is amazing how much the calories do add up.

The trickiest for me was bread and butter and making a careful measurement of how much I cut a homemade slice of bread off the loaf and how much margerine I spread on the slice.

It works out to be 350kcal per slice! Wowee that is a lot more than I thought. One slice is 125kcal and I was putting far too much margerine on.

Gizmo
05-Jun-09, 15:03
Yep, I've opened an account as well and it is amazing how much the calories do add up.

The trickiest for me was bread and butter and making a careful measurement of how much I cut a homemade slice of bread off the loaf and how much margerine I spread on the slice.

It works out to be 350kcal per slice! Wowee that is a lot more than I thought. One slice is 125kcal and I was putting far too much margerine on.

Bloomin eck Rheg, 350kcal a slice?..is that 2" thick door stops you're cutting?..lol

2 slices of Kingsmill medium white bread (73g) has 169kcal, and 5g of Clover Light Spread has 23kcal, i think you just might be over-doing the slicing and spreading a little :lol:

Tristan
05-Jun-09, 18:32
When I first started using I was amazed at the the effect of portion size and that little bit extra that gets added (butter etc). The free version is so good I am tempted to the the full version.

dakud007
05-Jun-09, 21:20
i have been trying to loose weight for more than ten years, but i never did it successfully. once i lost weight, i gained it back soon. i exercised alot, end of day, i ate more. so, i think it is quite importand to watch the amout of the food that we are taking. don't try to sitting there doing nothing as much as possible.:D

Rheghead
06-Jun-09, 01:38
Bloomin eck Rheg, 350kcal a slice?..is that 2" thick door stops you're cutting?..lol

2 slices of Kingsmill medium white bread (73g) has 169kcal, and 5g of Clover Light Spread has 23kcal, i think you just might be over-doing the slicing and spreading a little

lol, not quite door stops!

I can get about 10 slices(~18mm thick, I can't cut it any thinner) out of a homemade loaf so that is 125kcal each.

oops I think I have over calculated on the butter! :o :p

I think 75kcal 10g serving of butter is more like what I put on, so each slice is actually about 200kcal. I'll try that Clover light thanks.

Rheghead
06-Jun-09, 13:48

Can't agree more. I've had a top-down review of what I'm eating just recently and I've started to lose weight again. I've lost 4lb this week since just by using fitday.com which makes me focus on my calories and activity. I was 99kg in February and got down to ~86 kg at end of April-ish and stopped. This morning I topped the scales at 84kg the slimmest I've been in a long time.

starry
06-Jun-09, 14:12
I used FitDay to work out why my sugars were all over the place. It is a brilliant site even if the name does make me think of being drunk in Aberdeen.

A_Usher
06-Jun-09, 16:34
Well, i have finally managed to shift some weight, half a stone in 6 days, that was with a very strict calorie controlled diet of between 1300min/1600max calories a day and loads of exercise, 129km cycling and a few weights sessions in the gym. It's tough going....i mean REALLY tough going cutting back to that amount of calories...and weighing out every single thing you eat is a real pain, i've had the shakes a couple of times and just had to get something to eat, but apart from that i feel great, i think that may be down to drinking the same amount of water that's currently in Watten Loch :lol: a couple more weeks of this and i should have shifted all the fat i want :D

And a big thanks to Andrew Usher for all the great advice via email, if it wasn't for your help i'd still be exercising hard but getting nowhere with the weight loss.

Was a pleasure to help you out where i could :)

For everyone:
When you are planning your meals make sure get the essential vitamins and minerals, and macro nutrients. Protein is exceptionally important, even more so when your working out. There are ways to work out roughly what you need per day for calorie intake and for loosing weight. As an example, lets look at some at 160 pounds, with 20 percent body fat.

This would mean that their lean body mass was around 128 pounds. To loose weight this would mean they would need to ideally consume around 1536 calories per day. Appropriate portions of protein, carb and fat would need to consumed with that calorie intake.

It can be hard going, i know, im cutting a lot of weight as part of my rehab program for the psoriatic arthritis i had.