PDA

View Full Version : Disabled parking in Thurso

Hoida
27-May-09, 19:17
Can someone please tell me why Taxi's are allowed to park in 'Disabled Parking places' I am referring to the space in Princes Street (outside the Indian restuarant) The past 3 Fridays we have tried to park there only to find a taxi already there, it is most annoying especially when there are spaces further up the street at Sandra's.

Rheghead
27-May-09, 19:30
I would politely remind the taxi driver of the law, he might refrain from parking there in future.

Kodiak
27-May-09, 20:42
I would ask him to move. If he refuses then let him see you take his Reg Number and the name of the TAXI. Then inform him you are going to the Police Station to report him. If he still does not move do just that, report him at the Police Station.

Unless he is displaying an up to date and legal Disabled Blue Badge then it makes no difference if he is a Taxi or not he can not park in a Disabled Parking Space.

Loafer
27-May-09, 21:50
Can someone please tell me why Taxi's are allowed to park in 'Disabled Parking places' I am referring to the space in Princes Street (outside the Indian restuarant) The past 3 Fridays we have tried to park there only to find a taxi already there, it is most annoying especially when there are spaces further up the street at Sandra's.

Didn't you know that taxi drivers are not legally obliged to follow the highway code? I'm sure you have noticed their tail-gating, dicy overtaking manouvres and no requirement to use indicators?

The Loafer

bekisman
27-May-09, 22:19
What was the name of the Taxi firm? (interested as I am disabled)

jings00
27-May-09, 23:33
tis usually Harbour's or Pentland I see there....

Kodiak
27-May-09, 23:55
From now on I will take note of any and Taxi's parked in this Disabled Parking spot. If I do see any I will Take a Photo and take it to the Police station and report them. I will also complain that they were stopping me a disabled person in Parking in a Disabled Parking spot. I will keep on doing this until something is done.

northener
28-May-09, 09:14
Didn't you know that taxi drivers are not legally obliged to follow the highway code? I'm sure you have noticed their tail-gating, dicy overtaking manouvres and no requirement to use indicators?

The Loafer

Unlike the rest of the motoring community then:roll:

northener
28-May-09, 09:22
Part of the problem is that motorists blatantly ignore the Taxi rank signs and dump their motors on the rank whilst they "just nip off for a second".

This means that people who are trying to make a living off the Rank find themselves unable to use the areas allocated to them and have a choice - park on double yellows well away from the rank (and their livelihood) or sit in the unused disabled bays.

It's not right and I certainly don't agree with parking there, but let's not blame the poor old taxi driver for trying to earn a (relatively poor) wage because some ignorant lazy arses have dumped their cars on the Taxi Rank.

I'd ask them politely to move, I think you'll find most of the drivers are decent types and won't have a problem with it. If they do have a problem with moving....report them ASAP.

The Angel Of Death
28-May-09, 12:18
Part of the problem is that motorists blatantly ignore the Taxi rank signs and dump their motors on the rank whilst they "just nip off for a second"..

Isn't this a job for the traffic warden ? I'm in thurso most days and can count the times on one hand that i see him out and about whats the point in having a warden if your not seeing anything done about the parking issues ?

Connor.
28-May-09, 13:21
When pulling into the taxi rank outside sandra's they seem to have a case of indicatorphobia, they should be more safe!

Rheghead
28-May-09, 14:08
Talking about 'nipping off for a second', yesterday there was a driver double parked in the middle of Traill Street and facing the wrong way outside the housing association place. He seemed totally oblivious to the mayhem that he was causing as lorries were serving out to overtake him. It beggars belief sometimes.

Margaret M Mackay
28-May-09, 14:26
On each occasion it has been 'Pentland Cabs' and on two occasions the same driver But Thanks for all the replies