PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Zion Keeper

porshiepoo
27-May-09, 16:40
So, the inevitable has finally happened and one of the Zion park keepers has lost his life in a horrendous manner in front of many visitors to the park.

It seems the guilty Tiger is Abu and had to be shot to get the body of the keeper out of the enclosure.

I sincerely feel for the family of the keeper who now have to come to terms with his death, however, I do not understand the destruction of such an endangered species.
This Tiger was simply doing what nature dictated. Putting it into an animal enclosure and assuming that human contact would be enough to prevent such an incident was irresponsible and criminal in my view.
Why are these animals not shut away when keepers have to clean out the runs??? A stick and a fire extinguisher does not really cut it in my view - as today has proved unfortunately.

It would also seem that Craigs mum has fired him from the Park, although her reasons are vague. His debt was mentioned but then again she knew of this before she bought into the place. His assault on his ex partner Karen may be the reason as this has affected the airing of the show - his show.
But whatever the reason, could his absence from those animals be having a detrimental affect on their nature? Would it have happened if he'd been there?

The least this will do is bring to light the dangers involved in these kind of operations and the dire need for more stringent rules regarding the care and maintenance of these animals.
As much as I admire the theory behind Craigs venture in the conservation of these endangered species, his boasting of riding Zions back and his cuddling and pampering of these magnificent animals perhaps doesn't do much toward the understanding of their true natures.

Gene Hunt
27-May-09, 16:48
I agree with you Porshiepoo, while the death of the keeper is a tragedy I dont understand why the Tiger needs to be destroyed. It iis a wild animal and always will be, putting it behind a fence means nothing, instinct will always run free and there are precious few tigers left in the world today. I have a great respect for wildlife and I am constantly amazed at the way people seem to assume the temperament of maginificent animals like these. I have a real fascination with Wolves, and am constantly surprised at people's attiudes to them.

The Tiger will be shot because it acted on instinct, the keeper died because he did not have enough respect for that instinct.

Kodiak
27-May-09, 16:59
A couple questions for you.

What and Where is Zion Park

Who is Craig

I am sure I am not the only one who has no idea what you are going on about. That is except that a Keeper was killed which was a Tragedy.

bekisman
27-May-09, 17:34
Tiz New Zealand I think:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25545907-12377,00.html

Shabbychic
27-May-09, 17:42

Who is Craig

I am sure I am not the only one who has no idea what you are going on about. That is except that a Keeper was killed which was a Tragedy.

Zion Wildlife Park is in New Zealand.

Craig Busch is known as the Lionman, who ran the Park, and has a TV show on Sky 3.

Craig was having cash problems in running the park, so his mother helped him out, in the understanding she became main shareholder until he could pay her back. The two then had a fall out as Craig was not allowed in decision making and financial matters at the park.

Then the animal conditions became so bad, Craig called in MAF and was then fired by his mother, and not allowed to even go near the cats, many he has raised from cubs.

He is attending an Employment Tribunal this week in an attempt to get his job back.

The keeper who was killed is Dalu, who was Craigs assistant with the cats, and many feel this tragic accident was because of the present conditions at the park, and the fact the present management do not have Craig's high safety standards in place.

scorrie
27-May-09, 17:55

Who is Craig

The Lion Man is a series that has been showing for a few years now on Sky One and then other channels. Based in New Zealand, the park is home to Lions, Tigers and, more recently, Cheetahs. Craig Busch is the Lion Man of the series title and his favourite lion Zion, whom the park was named after, has been in several TV adverts and played the part of Aslan in the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe Film from a few years ago. During the last run of Harry Hill's TV Burp there was a clip of the opening credits and theme song and a couple of gags related to the series. It became a recurring theme in TV Burp for a stuffed lion with a Craig Busch lookalike on its back to sail through the studio behind Harry Hill.

From the times I watched the Lion Man, it seemed to be the case that Craig could control the cats better than anyone else and even he had one or two cats he had to be wary of. It may well have been a factor if he was not around at the time of the incident.

I did notice that his partner Karen had left during the viewing of one episode and wondered why that had occurred.

unicorn
27-May-09, 18:14
I have watched it a few times and had tremendous respect for Craigs' ability with these animals.
It sounds like the animals have had far too much change in a short period of time and are under incredible stress with their regime and sadly this has resulted in this terrible tragedy.
I also find it appauling that this animal has been destroyed, when will people learn that wild animals are always wild.

webmannie
27-May-09, 19:39
It sounds like the animals have had far too much change in a short period of time and are under incredible stress with their regime and sadly this has resulted in this terrible tragedy.
I also find it appauling that this animal has been destroyed, when will people learn that wild animals are always wild.

Guess it boils down to Lions basic instinct (it moves therefore it's food) V Humans basic instinct (it's killed one of us, get the guns out) = only one winner.

porshiepoo
27-May-09, 20:11
The Lion Man is a series that has been showing for a few years now on Sky One and then other channels. Based in New Zealand, the park is home to Lions, Tigers and, more recently, Cheetahs. Craig Busch is the Lion Man of the series title and his favourite lion Zion, whom the park was named after, has been in several TV adverts and played the part of Aslan in the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe Film from a few years ago. During the last run of Harry Hill's TV Burp there was a clip of the opening credits and theme song and a couple of gags related to the series. It became a recurring theme in TV Burp for a stuffed lion with a Craig Busch lookalike on its back to sail through the studio behind Harry Hill.

From the times I watched the Lion Man, it seemed to be the case that Craig could control the cats better than anyone else and even he had one or two cats he had to be wary of. It may well have been a factor if he was not around at the time of the incident.

I did notice that his partner Karen had left during the viewing of one episode and wondered why that had occurred.

Yep, caught her in bed with her friend and her friends husband. (Hermes who used to work there too).
All 3 claim that nothing happened, they were just comforting Karen who had had an argument with Craig. Apparantly the fact that they were naked and in bed should not mean that something happened!!! And the naked Hermes was cuddling the half naked Karen to comfort her - while the hubby watched :eek:

Anyway Craig hit the roof, assaulted Karen and the next day shoved her and her belongings into a car and drove her out the park and locked the gate behind her. lol.

If Craig isn't re established at the park I think there will be more attacks like this. He was the only one who could handle several of the Tigers and was wary of letting others near some of them. He had a very close bond with Zion (his main Lion) and I do believe that this seperation must have had some impact on the animals there. Perhaps this is why Abu did what he did.
Plus the fact that some stupid idiot decided it was OK for them to enter the enclosure with a stick and a fire extinguisher for defence. The mind boggles. Would it not be simpler to just put them away when they're cleaned.

unicorn
27-May-09, 20:15
It is the ignorance of many a human to believe that they are able to control all situations, that leads to this type of tragedy, extreme care should be taken with all animals.

starry
27-May-09, 20:53
Re his ex wife Karen, I believe he beat her so badly she suffered from broken bones and was hospitalised.

Good with cats, maybe not so with people.

scorrie
27-May-09, 21:51
Re his ex wife Karen, I believe he beat her so badly she suffered from broken bones and was hospitalised.

Good with cats, maybe not so with people.

Perhaps the theme song needs to change to:-

"He's a Black-Eyein' Man"