PDA

View Full Version : PC wont turn on

bobbyjoeufb
27-May-09, 12:51
Pc wont turn on, I have replaced the PSU and thought it may be a motherboard issue, so I ordered a 2nd hand motherboard, which I have fitted but still the pc will not turn on. I have tired shorting the switch pins on the motherboard still wont start.

Can anyone suggest what I can try now?

blueivy
27-May-09, 13:10
Pc wont turn on, I have replaced the PSU and thought it may be a motherboard issue, so I ordered a 2nd hand motherboard, which I have fitted but still the pc will not turn on. I have tired shorting the switch pins on the motherboard still wont start.

When you say it won't come on, do you mean you press the power switch and nothing happens? Have you tried changing the power button / case?

bobbyjoeufb
27-May-09, 14:05
I push the power button and get nothing, no power lights no fans.

I dont have another case to try, but I have tired shorting the switch pins on both motherboards with no sucess.

blueivy
27-May-09, 14:08
I push the power button and get nonthing, no power lights no fans.

I dont have another case to try, but I have tired shorting the switch pins on both motherboards with no sucess.

I know shorting the pins should do the same, however I'd still look for another case as you never know.

My other suggestions are obvious, but if I don't mention them I don't know.

Have you tried another kettle lead for a known working one? Have you tried another socket in the house? Have you tried taking the motherboard out of the case and trying to switch it on that way in case there is a short in the case?

Where are you as I have a case here you could try (although it has all the bits in it so you'll need to work around them but could be good as a test)?

bobbyjoeufb
27-May-09, 17:01
Is there anything I have to do to run it out of the case? Ie earth it?

blueivy
27-May-09, 19:21
Is there anything I have to do to run it out of the case? Ie earth it?

I have run boards outside the cases many times without any problems. I put down an antistatic mat (or something similar) and pop the board on that. Never had any problems. The PSU is already earthed.

Safety wise an electrician would be the best person to ask as I'm not taking any responsibility for any consequences! I'm happy to do it myself but I'm not going to advise somebody else to do the same.

EDDIE
27-May-09, 21:03

If u changed the psu is the switch on at the back of the psu?
(there should be a switch on off switch at the back of the psu)
Assuming the is power going to the pc
If u have bought a second hand motherboard u dont no for sure if its working do u it could be dead on arrival assuming its ok u have to make sure all the jumer settings on the motherboard are correctly set and u have to make sure all those little wires that go to the buttons are correctly fitted to the motherboard becuse its easy to put on wrong.
The way i look on things if my pc breaks i view thats as upgrade time its pointless spending money on parts to keep the same spec your just as well upgrading and ideally u should have bought a kit which had a new motherboard cpu in it .
I hate to say it but if you are just using your pc for internet and little things you would probably been better of scrapping your pc and get another cheap one its only really if u have a gaming pc and your gamer were its worth while upgrading or fixing.

dx100uk
28-May-09, 01:51
why not confirm the psu is good?
connect up a harddrive and see if it spins up?
if it does the psu is prob ok.

are you SURE you have the correct memory fitted, that will give the appearance of a dead motherboard if its the wrong type

are the processors ok?, did each one come with its own or are you swapping only one over to the replacement board?

have you got the pc speaker connected & does it make any beeps?

what are the motherboards?

dx

blueivy
28-May-09, 13:53
why not confirm the psu is good?
connect up a harddrive and see if it spins up?
if it does the psu is prob ok.

That won't work. Connecting a hard drive to a PSU like that won 't powe anything.

are you SURE you have the correct memory fitted, that will give the appearance of a dead motherboard if its the wrong type

It will but the computer will still start - you'll get BIOS beep error codes. At the very least you will get the CPU fan running.

are the processors ok?, did each one come with its own or are you swapping only one over to the replacement board?

Again a bad processor won't result in the machine powering up. You'll get the BIOS beep error codes.

have you got the pc speaker connected & does it make any beeps?

That is a good point. The CPU fan should still power on though.

bobbyjoeufb
28-May-09, 16:58
Thanks for your help I have managed to get the pc running again.

I tried both motherboards out of the case and shorted the pins to find both powered on.

I reinstalled the orginal motherboard and PSU and connected only the pwr switch and it powered up. So i connected all the other wires and it would not power up!

Managed to locate the problem to the USB wiring so I checked the ports at the front of the case to find the tab that sperates the ports was bent and touching the pins, bent it back into place and pc started up.

Bloody annoyed that I have spent money on a new PSU and motherboard, If anyone needs either ill be selling them on.

dx100uk
28-May-09, 18:21
hehe
shorted +5vdc line!
makes psu go into foldback.

thats why i said connect an hdd up with the mobo.

no worry

better not ans too much.

policemans about.

dx

blueivy
29-May-09, 11:52
better not ans too much.

policemans about.

I assume that was aimed at my comments above? If not, apologies.

Just like you I was trying to help by pointing out that what you had suggested wouldn't work and that he would be better focusing his attention on something else.

thats why i said connect an hdd up with the mobo.
That's not what you said. That's why I said it wouldn't work.