PDA

View Full Version : Licking metal objects.

cuddlepop
26-May-09, 19:16
Scorries developed a strange habit of licking metal objects.

His favourite just now is the recliner mechanisms.Nothings dropped or spilt on them as I've cleaned them just in case.

Whats wrong with him,if anything.:confused

teenybash
26-May-09, 19:30
Aha Scorrie off on another exploration of the world around him.....he is wonderful. There is probably nothing wrong as most youngsters will have a taste or a lick at that.....at the moment my cat is going through a phase of licking coal!!!!
Once he gets fed up he will probably go on to discover something else that is interesting and needs investigating. Because dogs don't have hands like us they use their noses and tongues, like other four legged creatures, to touch and ultimately decide whatever................as long as he is not chewing the recliner, I don't think there is anything to worry about.:)

Liz
26-May-09, 19:35
Maybe he likes the feel of it on his tongue?:D

As Teenybash says it is probably just a 'phase'.

cuddlepop
26-May-09, 19:39
Teenybash we were afraid he was going to chew the leather but thankfully its the metal he's after.
If Oh has come in from working with his power tools Scorrie will lick his fingers clean.

Just worried incase he's deficient is any metals from his diet.

We all know he's deficient in brain cells.:lol:

Liz
26-May-09, 19:46
Two of my dogs loved the taste of sticking plaster!:lol:

They would sit for ages licking it if you had it on one of your fingers. They would even lick it if you had removed it recently!

cuddlepop
26-May-09, 19:48
Two of my dogs loved the taste of sticking plaster!:lol:

They would sit for ages licking it if you had it on one of your fingers. They would even lick it if you had removed it recently!

Yuk... sticking plasters.

Seriously wasnt a pregnant woman suppose to be deficient in iron thats why she wanted to eat coal?:confused

Liz
26-May-09, 19:54
Yuk... sticking plasters.

Seriously wasnt a pregnant woman suppose to be deficient in iron thats why she wanted to eat coal?:confused

Yes strange eating habits (it's called Pica) can indicate deficiencies in the diet but often with dogs they just like the taste.

If Scorrie is eating a good complete diet he should be getting all the nutrients he need although you could add a good multivitamin/mineral made for dogs to see whether that helps.