PDA

View Full Version : Worming!

Dadie
26-May-09, 12:38
How come there is such a difference in trying to worm the cat and the dog!
Cat wrap in a towel, wrestle with it, get scratched and bitten...the cat spits out worm pill 3 times before swallowing it with a slice of my thumb!
Dog give worm pill in butter. end of!
Disinfect cuts and scrapes on me and apply spray on skin!
I hate fighting with the cat 4 times a year for worming and frontlining especially as the dog is so good about it all!

fuzzypeg
26-May-09, 17:02
i have a special syringe shaped implement that works a treat for administering any drugs to the cats.you should ask at the vet for one or try pets at home

Dadie
26-May-09, 19:46
Think my thumb is infected after the cat bit it!
It is still throbbing and feels hot... I have soaked it in TCP.. what else is good for cat bites?

GruesomeTwosome
27-May-09, 13:13
How come there is such a difference in trying to worm the cat and the dog!
Cat wrap in a towel, wrestle with it, get scratched and bitten...the cat spits out worm pill 3 times before swallowing it with a slice of my thumb!
Dog give worm pill in butter. end of!
Disinfect cuts and scrapes on me and apply spray on skin!
I hate fighting with the cat 4 times a year for worming and frontlining especially as the dog is so good about it all!

One of my dogs is the same as yours but the other should have been a cat. Bearing in mind she is a rottie so the towel is a fruitless exercise but I have to pry her jaws open, push the worming tablet down her throat as far as I can and pour water down after it to force her to swallow. Before finding this the only method to work I tried putting it in butter, soft cheese, hard cheese, ham, doggy treats to which she would eat around it and leave the tablets perfectly in tact. Before I had to use water I tried rubbing her throat to make her swallow but again she would just wait a few seconds and spit it out. It sounds awful but we cope with it quite well now, thank goodness its only 4 times a year.

Scunner
27-May-09, 14:37
Had a good laugh at this post - as we've just wormed the cat. Leather gloves to grab and hold, onto kitchen worktop, so that there is no grip for claws. Prize open mouth, push tablet down as far as possible. Hold mouth shut while keeping nose covered. Success - first time. Cat now in huff, will slink back in sometime and repose on rocking chair in conservatory, and open one eye to keep a watch on us for 2 days.

teenybash
27-May-09, 18:50
Think my thumb is infected after the cat bit it!
It is still throbbing and feels hot... I have soaked it in TCP.. what else is good for cat bites?

Add a little water to bicarbonate of soda to make a paste and put on the affected area with a plaster or bandage to hold in place. It will draw out any infection. When you feel the throbbing dying down wash the wound with vinegar and let the fresh air do the rest.....works everytime.:)