PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio

Loch not Lock
26-May-09, 00:08
I am contemplating buying an internet radio which works off Wireless Broadband.
Any advice on how good they work in Caithness? I notice Ebuyer have one for only £39.99 whereas elsewhere they tend be £100+.:confused

joxville
26-May-09, 00:11
Any advice on how good they work in Caithness? I notice Ebuyer have one for only £39.99 whereas elsewhere they tend be £100+.:confused

Save yourself 40 quid and just listen to radio through your pc, thats what I do.

cullpacket
26-May-09, 03:44
BBC i player is good for music and programs and you don't need a TV licence :Razz

Loch not Lock
26-May-09, 08:15
Save yourself 40 quid and just listen to radio through your pc, thats what I do.

I do listen via my PC but often like to go to bed and fall asleep listening to the radio. Not too keen on leaving my computer on all night for various reasons - energy, crashing, overheating etc.:confused

Kodiak
27-May-09, 16:01
BBC i player is good for music and programs and you don't need a TV licence :Razz

If you watch Live TV on your Computer you do require a TV Licence.

At present if you watch Recoeded TV Material on you computer then you do not require a TV Licence.

This will not stay this way as it is proposed that a TV Licence will be required if you have a Computer with an Internet Connection. The last information I have that this will come in shortly after the next General Election.

MadPict
27-May-09, 16:22
I do listen via my PC but often like to go to bed and fall asleep listening to the radio. Not too keen on leaving my computer on all night for various reasons - energy, crashing, overheating etc.:confused

How about a small DAB radio as an alternative? Not sure what the DAB cover is like in Caithness but they have a good range of stations.

I have a AE Internet Radio (http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/WiFi_radio/WiFi.asp) which I use quite a bit - had it for a few years now and while expensive at the time I like the fact it is a stand alone device not needing to be connected to a hifi system like some streamers.

Metalattakk
27-May-09, 18:10
How about a small DAB radio as an alternative? Not sure what the DAB cover is like in Caithness but they have a good range of stations.

There is no DAB coverage in Caithness (save for a small pocket in Lybster) and there are no plans for there to be coverage in the future.

EDDIE
27-May-09, 18:13

£39.99 for a wifi radio is cheap and will probably be better than dab area at the moment depending on signal of your are i fancy a wifi radio as well but they are dear all the ones i have seen is over £100 but its like most things in life its a case of suck it and see how it goes

DeHaviLand
27-May-09, 18:45

At present if you watch Recoeded TV Material on you computer then you do not require a TV Licence.

This will not stay this way as it is proposed that a TV Licence will be required if you have a Computer with an Internet Connection. The last information I have that this will come in shortly after the next General Election.

Really? And who gave you this information? Gordon Brown? Lord Mandelsson? Or perhaps you would like to supply a link so we can see that its not just an outrageous statement?

MadPict
27-May-09, 19:00
There is no DAB coverage in Caithness (save for a small pocket in Lybster) and there are no plans for there to be coverage in the future.

Thanks for the correction.

Loch not Lock
10-Jun-09, 09:24
My 39.99 internet radio arrived yesterday and I must say it is absolutely superb with over 1,200 UK stations and many more worldwide. The reception is crystal clear and would recommend it to anyone who has wireless broadband. Ebuyer has it at that price whereas they cost around £150 in the shops. It also uses only 7 watts electricity and works with your compter turned off so it saves fuel. Works in any room in the house.:)

Rheghead
10-Jun-09, 09:52
My 39.99 internet radio arrived yesterday and I must say it is absolutely superb with over 1,200 UK stations and many more worldwide.

Will you just end up listening to CaithnessFM?:confused

Kenneth
10-Jun-09, 10:33
U cant get CaithnessFM on the internet... :(

JAWS
10-Jun-09, 10:51

This will not stay this way as it is proposed that a TV Licence will be required if you have a Computer with an Internet Connection. The last information I have that this will come in shortly after the next General Election.Typical BBC rip off. I have no intention of using my computer to watch TV. (OK, I have a TV and a license already)

I do not see how they have arrived at the assumption that somebody who does not wish to have a TV would want to get a computer to watch it instead.

The arrogance of the BBC in assuming that nobody could possibly exist without having access to them is disgraceful.

Loch not Lock
10-Jun-09, 12:59
Will you just end up listening to CaithnessFM?:confused
No. I prefer LBC with Clive Bull from 10 pm to 1am or my hero, George Galloway on Talksport on Friday and Saturday at the same time.:)

Kevin Milkins
10-Jun-09, 14:50
My 39.99 internet radio arrived yesterday and I must say it is absolutely superb with over 1,200 UK stations and many more worldwide. The reception is crystal clear and would recommend it to anyone who has wireless broadband. Ebuyer has it at that price whereas they cost around £150 in the shops. It also uses only 7 watts electricity and works with your compter turned off so it saves fuel. Works in any room in the house.:)

Is the signal sent to the radio via your wireless router in the same way that you would use your laptop?

Have you got a link so that I can have a look at it?

joxville
10-Jun-09, 14:53
No. I prefer LBC with Clive Bull from 10 pm to 1am or my hero, George Galloway on Talksport on Friday and Saturday at the same time.:)

Bull on LBC and more bull on Talksport. ;)[lol]

Loch not Lock
11-Jun-09, 08:56
Is the signal sent to the radio via your wireless router in the same way that you would use your laptop?

Have you got a link so that I can have a look at it?

Yes, it works exactly the same as sending a signal to your laptop. If you Google "Reciva Radio" it will give you an idea of some of the stations you will receive.:)