PDA

View Full Version : what do you think ?

mums angels
25-May-09, 21:33
Have a wee bit of a dilema that maybe you can all give some advice on .

I sold an item on here recently for a friend and after four days i have been contacted saying that once they got it home they decided it wasn't what they were looking for (no faults) . Now the item in question had pictures available on the thread and the item was viewed at my friends house and happily paid for and taken away. Now the buyer seems to think my friend should take it back and repay the money ( at a discounted price) i personally disagree as why wait four days and in those four days the item could have been used for allsorts or could be a simple as finding something better elsewhere . But out of interest wonder what your thoughts on this type of problem is and if anyone knows what legal standing my friend would have ?

catran
25-May-09, 21:36
Tell them go away. Cannot think you have any legal obligation if the goods were not faulty.

Did you know the purchasers personally?

mums angels
25-May-09, 21:40
No i don't nor does my friend . it was not me that sold the item but am wondering about how selling things privatly works as i do it quite often for myself.

i do understand how dissapointing it must be to have bought something and it not to be what you expected as it has happened to me a few times on here and on ebay but i have never asked to take it back .. even when i once got something that fell to bits two days later lol ...

NickInTheNorth
25-May-09, 21:42
Absolutely no obligation to take the item back.

Suggest that the buyer sells the item on here, or maybe ebay, but "caveat emptor" really does apply to buying something from an individual rather than a business.

Even if the item was faulty, unfit for purpose or any of the many other things covered by the sale of goods act none of it applies to this type of sale.

Vistravi
25-May-09, 21:43
Your friend should tell them to take a hike. The item has passed hands alongside the money. They are just time wasting.

cuddlepop
26-May-09, 08:50
As everyone else has said your friend in under no obligation to refund money/take it back/discount it.

This item could have been bought by someone else.

I know what my OH would be telling this chancer.:eek:

Rie
26-May-09, 09:48
Thats just sheer cheek!! tell them to go jump they saw it liked it at the time and bought it, now its up to them to sell it on !
your friend has no obligation to take it back or refund, she isnt a catalogue shop!!
:roll:

poppett
26-May-09, 09:54
When selling an item from home I always give a receipt marked "sold as seen". If it is electrical then it is demonstrated as working before it leaves the house and if it breaks before getting to its destination then it`s not my fault. Did sell a Sky box once and offered to take it back if it didn`t work as it was going out to the country, but I had a few interested and knew I could sell it on. When I checked with the buyer a few days later it hadn`t worked for him, but he sold it to someone else and made a profit. Good for him. Buyer beware as the saying goes.

newpark
26-May-09, 09:54
Your friend has no obligation to take the item back. As you said pictures were supplied, person collected the item and kept it for 4 days. Just politley advise them that you will not take the item back.

Kodiak
27-May-09, 15:55
The item was seen and approved and then paid for, Done Deal. They can not come back 4 Days later and say they have changed their mind.

So if they do not want it then just tell them to offer it for sale on .org, after all they must have an account as that is where they saw it advertised.

achingale
28-May-09, 11:50
It was a done deal so there's no come back. Your friend sold in good faith. There is no obligation to take it back. Hope it turns out ok.

EDDIE
28-May-09, 17:42
Have a wee bit of a dilema that maybe you can all give some advice on .

I sold an item on here recently for a friend and after four days i have been contacted saying that once they got it home they decided it wasn't what they were looking for (no faults) . Now the item in question had pictures available on the thread and the item was viewed at my friends house and happily paid for and taken away. Now the buyer seems to think my friend should take it back and repay the money ( at a discounted price) i personally disagree as why wait four days and in those four days the item could have been used for allsorts or could be a simple as finding something better elsewhere . But out of interest wonder what your thoughts on this type of problem is and if anyone knows what legal standing my friend would have ?

Well when u buy something second hand your eyes is your merchant they have only themselves to blame thats the reality of the matter so tell that person straight to get lost and if the person starts waffling about taking you to a small claims court then let them.

sjr014
28-May-09, 23:20
Bought as seen! If they werna happy why hand over the cash??!!

mums angels
30-May-09, 17:15
Thank you very much for all your replies i had thought the problem had dissapered as my friend wasn't contacted at all since i told them to go driectly to the seller however again 9 days after original purchase I have been contacted again to say they have "discovered" item is broken so looks like it may be a long battle on this one . ( however there was absoloutly no faults on sale )

i will personally be handing out a " bought as seen " reciept with any thing i sell from now on as you just never know whos going to become a problem.

EDDIE
30-May-09, 17:32
Thank you very much for all your replies i had thought the problem had dissapered as my friend wasn't contacted at all since i told them to go driectly to the seller however again 9 days after original purchase I have been contacted again to say they have "discovered" item is broken so looks like it may be a long battle on this one . ( however there was absoloutly no faults on sale )

i will personally be handing out a " bought as seen " reciept with any thing i sell from now on as you just never know whos going to become a problem.

There is no guarnteee with second hand stuff and they probably broke it themselves honestly imagine buying something secondhand and it takes 9 days to relise its broken there trying it on.
And if you are replying back to them by email watch what u are saying because all they have to do is hit print to record it?Can u not block there email address and be done with it

mums angels
30-May-09, 17:37
There is no guarnteee with second hand stuff and they probably broke it themselves honestly imagine buying something secondhand and it takes 9 days to relise its broken there trying it on.
And if you are replying back to them by email watch what u are saying because all they have to do is hit print to record it?Can u not block there email address and be done with it

oh its been through PM but i have been honest and polite in all correspondence so not worried about that , i have said not to contact me at all as it wasn't me that sold it so better to take it up with the sellers anyway. i hadn't thought of blocking though i may just do that thanks .

*Martin*
30-May-09, 17:47
Go on tell us who it is :lol:

starry
30-May-09, 17:56
Just like the lottery

It's Not Me ;)

mums angels
30-May-09, 20:52
LOL no i won't be saying who it is as it isn't important who it was just what the people on the org would do in same circumstance .

but you are right starry - it is not you :lol:

*Martin*
30-May-09, 21:19
oh fine spoil sport! ;)

Is it me?

mums angels
30-May-09, 23:07
oh fine spoil sport! ;)

Is it me?

Ahh yes you guessed it :lol:

sweetpea
30-May-09, 23:12
Sold as seen. The guy saw what he was buying and agreed to buy it at the price. no problem.;)