PDA

View Full Version : voting

kitty kat
25-May-09, 13:36
can some one explain i have never voted before (shame on me ) and dont have the foggiest where to start? what do i do? where do i go and more impotantly which parties do what any and i mean any help will be nice :D

muffin
25-May-09, 16:13
Where and when you can vote should be printed on your voting card which you must take with you, you only vote for 1 candidate with a cross, who you vote for is really down to your own principles, the parties have all broadcast on the TV but if you missed it you really need to get some of their literature, we haven't received any through the post so it looks as if the rest of the world does not think anyone lives in Caithness or our views don't matter.

Rheghead
25-May-09, 16:47
can some one explain i have never voted before (shame on me ) and dont have the foggiest where to start? what do i do? where do i go and more impotantly which parties do what any and i mean any help will be nice :D

Try the numerical analysis approach?

First, you need to make a list of the issues that seem to have great political interference.

Here is my suggestion.

Tax
Economy
Law and Order
Immigration
Health
Education
Energy and Environment

Next you need to allot a percentage to each of them which represents the level of importance that you think it deserves, making sure that the sum adds up to 100%

Next you need to visit each party's websites and mark each issue out of 10 as you think they score to your own judgement.

eg, Law and Order may be very important to you so you have given that issue 60%. The Tories may be proposing to put an extra 5000 police on the streets which appeals to you so you mark the tories on law and order a handsome 8/10.

Then for each party and issue, do the simple calculation, 8/10 X60% = 48%

Repeat for each issue and for every political party that you think needs attention and sum up each corrected percentage for each political party.

The highest scoring political party will get your vote.

If you have been a voter for a long time then you may be surprised at the result.

:Razz:Razz

kitty kat
25-May-09, 22:28
thanks guys has been a big help :)

i know this may sound a very simple question but what parties are out there ?:confused

joxville
25-May-09, 22:32
Try the numerical analysis approach?

First, you need to make a list of the issues that seem to have great political interference.

Here is my suggestion.

Tax
Economy
Law and Order
Immigration
Health
Education
Energy and Environment

Next you need to allot a percentage to each of them which represents the level of importance that you think it deserves, making sure that the sum adds up to 100%

Next you need to visit each party's websites and mark each issue out of 10 as you think they score to your own judgement.

eg, Law and Order may be very important to you so you have given that issue 60%. The Tories may be proposing to put an extra 5000 police on the streets which appeals to you so you mark the tories on law and order a handsome 8/10.

Then for each party and issue, do the simple calculation, 8/10 X60% = 48%

Repeat for each issue and for every political party that you think needs attention and sum up each corrected percentage for each political party.

The highest scoring political party will get your vote.

If you have been a voter for a long time then you may be surprised at the result.

:Razz:Razz
Once you've gone through all that you vote for the one with the prettiest rosette. [lol]

Rheghead
25-May-09, 22:44
Once you've gone through all that you vote for the one with the prettiest rosette. [lol]

I would definitely go for the 'no frills' candidate, or would that be 'no thrills'? :lol:

Rheghead
25-May-09, 23:02
thanks guys has been a big help :)

i know this may sound a very simple question but what parties are out there ?:confused

I failed to mention that there are more things to consider than what the main political parties stand for. If I was to do a numerical analysis then I would probably vote Conservative given their policies on taxation and my combined personal income. I cannot bring myself to vote Tory after all they did in the 1980s so I am biased. I am happy to be taxed more under labour because I believe altruistically in a fairer society which the Labour party has succeeded in creating though not perfected.