PDA

View Full Version : Downs Syndrome Child

Iffy
24-May-09, 20:43
Just watched a programme this afternoon on SKY1 called "The Real A & E " - I PERSONALLY found it very interesting... but what REALLY made it for me was...

A wee girl who was born with Downs Syndrome and had some problems with hip displacement which restricted her leg movements.

Now, I don't have children of my own and never will (through TOTAL choice of me AND my husband !!!) and I've quite often queried those parents/foster parents/adoptive parents who can take on a child with "certain" disabilities..

The sheer fact that I don't have children will make me EXTREMELY restricted on this thread, and I've been told before, "DO NOT put on a thread when you have no idea what you're talking about" BUT....

Watching that programme which involved a wee girl with "Downs" made my heart smile, if thats possible. WHAT AN ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS BAIRN and SUCH a pride to her parents - she would wave at the cameras with such a cheeky grin that I almost felt like jumping in there to HUG her !!!!!

I just wanna say that, obviously, children with disabilities deserve the SAME love as would "normal" bairns !!

AND before someone comes on this thread saying "Then why don't you look after children needing fostering?"

THEN as I've already said - I do not have that "Motherly" instinct to look after children - BUT that does not stop me having a CARING nature !!!!

beth210486
24-May-09, 21:30
I have a brother with downs syndrome and they are the most loving people ever, I feel that anyone who has a child with downs or is related to somebody with downs are truly blessed.

scorrie
24-May-09, 21:42
Just watched a programme this afternoon on SKY1 called "The Real A & E " - I PERSONALLY found it very interesting... but what REALLY made it for me was...

A wee girl who was born with Downs Syndrome and had some problems with hip displacement which restricted her leg movements.

Now, I don't have children of my own and never will (through TOTAL choice of me AND my husband !!!) and I've quite often queried those parents/foster parents/adoptive parents who can take on a child with "certain" disabilities..

The sheer fact that I don't have children will make me EXTREMELY restricted on this thread, and I've been told before, "DO NOT put on a thread when you have no idea what you're talking about" BUT....

Watching that programme which involved a wee girl with "Downs" made my heart smile, if thats possible. WHAT AN ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS BAIRN and SUCH a pride to her parents - she would wave at the cameras with such a cheeky grin that I almost felt like jumping in there to HUG her !!!!!

I just wanna say that, obviously, children with disabilities deserve the SAME love as would "normal" bairns !!

AND before someone comes on this thread saying "Then why don't you look after children needing fostering?"

THEN as I've already said - I do not have that "Motherly" instinct to look after children - BUT that does not stop me having a CARING nature !!!!

I saw that program as well and the lassie was a wee star!! I am sure her parents get just as much reward as those of a child without "handicap"

Did you see the part about the biker stuck under a lorry? First the lorry was 13 tons, then it was a mere 7 tons, before growing back to 13 tons again!!

Perhaps a load of illegal immigrants were on board, simultaneously all got off for a pee and then all got back on again?

ShelleyCowie
24-May-09, 21:55
I quite often watch programs like that, hospital documentries, labour and birth, A+E etc etc.

Usually im im floods of tears! The bravery of the children is amazing. They are so intelligent and gorgeous!

TBH
24-May-09, 22:11
I quite often watch programs like that, hospital documentries, labour and birth, A+E etc etc.

Usually im im floods of tears! The bravery of the children is amazing. They are so intelligent and gorgeous!I'm interested to know why you watch these programs? Is it for educational purposes or the old rubber-necking at a car crash syndrome.

starry
24-May-09, 22:13
I watch a few programmes like this as well, it is purely car crash tv for me.

TBH
24-May-09, 22:19
I watch a few programmes like this as well, it is purely car crash tv for me.I do it to, just wondered who else does it.

balto
24-May-09, 22:20
i love watching programs like this as i find then really educational, used to love the home and health channels unto the oh became mean and decided hat we didnt need it.

as for the thread, any child whether they have special need or not deserves love and care, but it takes a special person to care for a child with special needs.

TBH
24-May-09, 22:29
i love watching programs like this as i find then really educational, used to love the home and health channels unto the oh became mean and decided hat we didnt need it.

as for the thread, any child whether they have special need or not deserves love and care, but it takes a special person to care for a child with special needs.I don't think it takes a special person to care for these kids unless they are not the natural parents.

Margaret M.
24-May-09, 22:29
I have a brother with downs syndrome and they are the most loving people ever, I feel that anyone who has a child with downs or is related to somebody with downs are truly blessed.

I agree, Beth. Downs syndrome children are the most gentle human beings. I have had contact with several and they are so happy and loving, they just warm my heart.

balto
24-May-09, 22:41
I don't think it takes a special person to care for these kids unless they are not the natural parents.
but not everyone is emotionally able to care for kids with special needs whether they are the natural parents or not.

ShelleyCowie
24-May-09, 22:48
I'm interested to know why you watch these programs? Is it for educational purposes or the old rubber-necking at a car crash syndrome.

Educational. Im very interested in medical things. I never had the grades at school to go to a medical school through illness for about 2 years.

My dream job was to be a midwife.

balto
24-May-09, 22:50
Educational. Im very interested in medical things. I never had the grades at school to go to a medical school through illness for about 2 years.

My dream job was to be a midwife.
never giveup on your dreams shelley, your still young enogh.

starry
24-May-09, 22:51
There still time for you to do it Shelley.

Vistravi
24-May-09, 22:58
!!!!

What is normal???:confused
Every child should be loved regardless of any additonal needs they have.
A child with down syndrome is no different from any other child. Cateregorising children in normal and not normal groups is the first step society has in labelling children. Labelling has enormous negatives effects on children but yet society still does it:mad:

ShelleyCowie
24-May-09, 22:59
never giveup on your dreams shelley, your still young enogh.

There still time for you to do it Shelley.

I have been thinking about doing a home course to get more qualifications, i already have maths and english. Will need a science though.

Im also looking into what i can do in thurso so might go speak to the midwifes here since they were really friendly and helpful! :Razz

Vistravi
24-May-09, 23:04
If you want it grab it with both hands and don't let go til you have it. ;)
I want my own nursery by the time i'm 30 but i have no idea how to get it but i know i will get it. I already know what i would call my own nursery too. I'd call it wee monkeys lol :D

tootler
24-May-09, 23:04
What is normal???
A child suffering with down syndrome is no different from any other child. Cateregorising children in normal and not normal groups is the first step society has in labelling children. Labelling has enormous negatives effects on children but yet society still does it

I guess a child "suffering" is different from a child that isn't suffering.

I've had experience working with young adults with Down's and also young people with autism and, when they're not "suffering", they are absolutely magically brilliant people - in many ways better than "normal". But when they are suffering, they are certainly also different from "normal" in a less positive way.

But they certainly are different.

Vistravi
24-May-09, 23:16
I guess a child "suffering" is different from a child that isn't suffering.

I've had experience working with young adults with Down's and also young people with autism and, when they're not "suffering", they are absolutely magically brilliant people - in many ways better than "normal". But when they are suffering, they are certainly also different from "normal" in a less positive way.

But they certainly are different.

Cheers tootler you pointed out to me that my post didn't actually make sense when i said suffering.
Aye they are different but still children and people. it annoys me that society catergories(sp) them and only see the difficulties they have.
One of my brothers is austsic(sp) and he has the most amazing memory, almost photographic and he is very perceptive of people. He notices all the things that my two other brothers miss and question them. But then again in the eyes of society his difficulties is his face not who he really is, they don't see the bright spark behind the difficulties he has.

sweetpea
24-May-09, 23:32
What is normal???:confused
A child with down syndrome is no different from any other child. Cateregorising children in normal and not normal groups is the first step society has in labelling children. Labelling has enormous negatives effects on children but yet society still does it:mad:

Exactly my thoughts when I was scrolling down here. There used to be a practise of 'normalisation' in the 70's directed at Down's Syndrome and other people with congenital conditions.

sweetpea
24-May-09, 23:33
I have been thinking about doing a home course to get more qualifications, i already have maths and english. Will need a science though.

Im also looking into what i can do in thurso so might go speak to the midwifes here since they were really friendly and helpful! :Razz

Access to Nursing at the college.

TBH
24-May-09, 23:35
but not everyone is emotionally able to care for kids with special needs whether they are the natural parents or not.I doubt anyone would know whether they are able to look after kids with these ailments whether they wanted to by design or chance.

My dream job was to be a midwife.Then go for it, nobody is holding you back but your own doubts.