PDA

View Full Version : jellyfish

shazzy
24-May-09, 20:32
Hiya all!! I've just been walking doggies along Keiss beach and came across loads of jellyfish,lilac in colour,on the beach and in the tide line.Is it normal for this time of year?

majic
24-May-09, 20:39
Did you know if you get stung by one you need someone to pee on the place you were stung ? but i might be wrong.

shazzy
24-May-09, 20:46
nasty!!! got all weird images in my head now!:confused

Invisible
24-May-09, 20:50
I would say it is normal for the jellyfish to appear at this time of the year however im not an expert on marine life.

annemarie482
02-Jun-09, 19:55
its normal for keiss, i've lived here all my 24 years and their there every summer.

Tighsonas4
02-Jun-09, 20:45
would say quite common at this time of year tony

seadog
02-Jun-09, 21:00
[disgust] Sounds like Portuguese Men O' War. Best to avoid touching them and the same goes for the dog.
Pee does stop the irritation but more pleasant to rub with vinegar.:lol:
Very common at this time of year.

shazzy
02-Jun-09, 21:21
[disgust] Sounds like Portuguese Men O' War. Best to avoid touching them and the same goes for the dog.
Pee does stop the irritation but more pleasant to rub with vinegar.:lol:
Very common at this time of year.

would vinegar do for the dogs or would they need the vets?

seadog
03-Jun-09, 18:27
It will probably be ok to use vinegar on the dog as well but the most important thing is to avoid touching them. Even if dead you will still get an irritation and avoid touching eyes or other delicate parts if you get it on your hands.[lol]

Seabird
03-Jun-09, 21:15
The most common Jellyfish to wash up in Caithness is the Moon Jellyfish.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Moonjell.htm

bonami
06-Jun-09, 22:38
These blue jellyfish are very common in the seas around Caithness at this time of year . It is litterly possible to steam through miles of them at sea.AS far as I know they are harmless. Not so the brown ones which has a very painful sting. They are tha bane of fishermens lives as thier tentacles tangle in fishing gear and even gear stored for many months and then used again still gives a nasty sting. There is a few antidotes to cure this including rubbing with urine aftershave etc.