PDA

View Full Version : Use of cctv?

cuddlepop
24-May-09, 16:18
Inverclyde has a brand new community school with cctv cameras installed for the protection of propery and people.

Its been reported that a group of cleaners have been caught on camera skiving for most of the shift in a "locked" room and knocking off early.

The skivers got a written warning and the others that knocked off early were docked an hours pay and given a verble warning.

It seems now that these cameras are really "spying" devices for employers.:eek:

teenybash
24-May-09, 16:23
Sad days when we all are being spied on in such a manner.........society now seems to be totally paranoid or wandering into communism....crazy world these days.:(

golach
24-May-09, 16:29
sad days when employee's skive off without doing a full days work, ripping off the establishment, but thats ok is it? [disgust]

cuddlepop
24-May-09, 16:34
sad days when employee's skive off without doing a full days work, ripping off the establishment, but thats ok is it? [disgust]
No golach I agree its wrong its just another use for cctv.
Employers wont require supervisors on a shift anymore as "big brother " is watching them.:(

golach
24-May-09, 16:42
I with no problems with CCTV, it has helped the police solve crimes many times, it controls traffic in my city, it prevents criminal damage. I have no problems with that. I am not guilty of anything criminal so I have no worries. CCTV has become a necessity these days.

Mik.M.
24-May-09, 17:06
I with no problems with CCTV, it has helped the police solve crimes many times, it controls traffic in my city, it prevents criminal damage. I have no problems with that. I am not guilty of anything criminal so I have no worries. CCTV has become a necessity these days.
I`m with Mr G on this one,if you are not doing anything wrong or illegal then why should it bother you? The only thing thats frustrating about it is if you need to see some of the recorded footage you have to go through the police. Data protection act. Most annoying when all you want is the reg no of the car that damaged mine in Tesco`s car park.:mad:

wee sparkle
24-May-09, 19:48
I think that CCTV is a good thing personally. Its used in shops to catch out criminals, its used in streets to protect people, its used in schools for security, and im sure theres loads more i'm missing. I think that its wrong to deliberately use it to "spy" on people, but if the employee's were wrongfully skyving off work, then its their own fault for two reasons:

1) for doing it in the first place
2) for getting caught! :lol:

I can see why many people dont like it, but realistically, theres not much chance that anyone is going to be properlly watching you doing anything from behind the camera, because the camera's would be situated in suitable locations, so as not to invade privacy. Plus, you would always know if you were being filmed because all places that operate CCTV cameras have to display signs, telling people that they are in place.

But thats just my thoughts :D

cuddlepop
25-May-09, 09:25
The Union in this case are trying to use the argument that this use of cctv was "disallowed" and it was a chance observation by management that caught the culprits.
Nobody should be paid for something that they're not doing and it possess the question how long has this being going on too?

I've worked on my own cleaning an office and an element of trust has to be placed on the worker that they will do the job in the time allocated and properly.

CCTV is also used in Primark's employees changing room because of all the thieving thats going on.I think the cameras are positioned on the lockers.

Its a sad sign of the times when people have to be watched electronically so that they behave honestly.:(