PDA

View Full Version : Declining Gaelic

crayola
23-May-09, 00:12
Does anyone know why Gaelic declines at the beginning and at the end? Many languages decline at the end but is Gaelic unique in that it declines at the beginning too?

How did that start? Was it because someone couldn't attract Mairi or Morag's attention on a Hebridean beach because of the sound of her name fading away in the wind? Do Mhairi or Mhorag carry further in the wind? :confused

Vistravi
23-May-09, 01:44
No clue maybe it just didn't really take off.

Cattach
23-May-09, 13:29
Does anyone know why Gaelic declines at the beginning and at the end? Many languages decline at the end but is Gaelic unique in that it declines at the beginning too?

How did that start? Was it because someone couldn't attract Mairi or Morag's attention on a Hebridean beach because of the sound of her name fading away in the wind? Do Mhairi or Mhorag carry further in the wind? :confused

Gaelic is an off limits subject in Caithness!!

Each
23-May-09, 19:12
Im not sure what you mean by declining.

It sounds as though you are talking about the "seimhachadh" (sorry dont now what the english translation for this gramatical term is.)

Grammatically, it identifies the context of the noun and its relationship to the rest of the sentence and/or speaker. In this example you used the additional "h" identifies the fact that the speaker is addressing another person.

I'm the wrong person to try and explain grammer (in english or in gaelic) especially the genetive, possessive and vocative cases of nouns - some one else will have to explain that one for you.

ShelleyCowie
23-May-09, 22:35
I really dont understand Gaelic. I want too though since i take Athrun to the Gaelic toddlers. Would of liked for him to go to Gaelic Nursery too but whats the point, not many speak gaelic apart from the ones that go to the nursery.

And i cant speak it! :eek:

crayola
23-May-09, 23:54
Im not sure what you mean by declining.

It sounds as though you are talking about the "seimhachadh" (sorry dont now what the english translation for this gramatical term is.)

Grammatically, it identifies the context of the noun and its relationship to the rest of the sentence and/or speaker. In this example you used the additional "h" identifies the fact that the speaker is addressing another person.

I'm the wrong person to try and explain grammer (in english or in gaelic) especially the genetive, possessive and vocative cases of nouns - some one else will have to explain that one for you.
That's exactly what I mean. It's the vocative case. Where did it come from and is it really needed?