PDA

View Full Version : Would You Eat Placenta?

Kevin Milkins
22-May-09, 23:20
I know it seems like a strange subject, but watching a cow that had just calved today while out on my walk brought back a subject that seemed like a very popular debate a few years ago.

I have not heard anyone talk of it lately but twenty years ago it seemed like it was like it was going to be the saviour of all women’s problems IE post natal depression and help bonding with offspring etc.

Having come from an agricultural background it is an often type of occurrence to see a cow calf and then eat the placenta, but I am sure it is something I could not do at any price.

Is there anyone that has tried it or would consider it?

This is a short video clip of the said cow.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/th_SMOV0020.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/?action=view&current=SMOV0020.flv)

joxville
22-May-09, 23:23
Does afterbirth give aftertaste? :eek:

shazzap
22-May-09, 23:27
Definitely not yak[disgust]

Vistravi
22-May-09, 23:40
Ugh no way!!! I've heard that its got loads of vitamins and what not in it and its health benefits are good but not in a million years would i eat it.:eek::roll:

kitty kat
22-May-09, 23:42
omg yuk:confused...........

Rourkee
22-May-09, 23:44
Probably tastes like chicken!

Welcomefamily
22-May-09, 23:50
Its meant to be very good for you.

Bazeye
23-May-09, 00:47
GetWithTheTimes has probably had it, albeit unknowingly on a pizza (or kebab)

jings00
23-May-09, 00:48
isn't that what Tom Cruise is meant to have done,,,,but not wi the cow placenta??
errr, i'll give it a miss thanks.

Rheghead
23-May-09, 00:52
I could probably eat it thinly sliced on a pizza, curried or minced with onion and tatie.

kitty kat
23-May-09, 00:59
i new i shouldnt have looked again i think im going to be sick

Fran
23-May-09, 01:51
i have seen cats eat the afterbirth. Isnt there a religion where women eat their after birth, not sure which, and that it is very good for you.I wonder if they fry it or roaST IT FIRST!!

Aaldtimer
23-May-09, 03:19
The theory that I've heard that animals do that to minimise the attraction of predators to their young. Sounds like good sense to me!:D

Lolabelle
23-May-09, 03:35
It looks as if it's mostly the blokes who think this could be a good idea! :eek:

MMM as for me! No way! I don't even eat the "goobie" bits on meat! :roll:

porshiepoo
23-May-09, 08:39
Not for me I'm afraid. For those who have actually seen the stuff .......... god I'm gagging at the thought............. to actually then set about eating it!!! The mind boggles.
Maybe there's some that would actually then wash it down with their own urine??!!!!??? :confused

Dogs do it but I believe it's because it's full of nutrients and a wild dog may well have to depend on those nutrients for the first few days when they don't leave the pups.

rockchick
23-May-09, 08:44
Considering it from a strictly survivalist point of view, giving birth is exhausting and you also can lose quite a bit of blood/body fluids. Eating the placenta would provide a new mother with some nutrients to help recover after giving birth, while lessening the chance of becoming predator prey. I've seen cats and dogs eat placenta, but there's no way I could do it...it would be like eating my own liver! Yuck.

Venture
23-May-09, 10:16
Well should any of you have the urge to try it, here are some recipes for you. Yuk.:confused

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/plac_rec2.htm#lasagne

ShelleyCowie
23-May-09, 11:09
No way! I saw mines getting carried away in a bag after having Athrun by C-Section and getting weighed before he did!

Mingin! :confused Ugh i feel sick now remembering seeing it!

Tubthumper
23-May-09, 11:21
I can think of some individuals where, at their birth, it seems the wrong part of the delivery was disposed of...

majic
23-May-09, 12:07
Wasn't there a programe on tv and they saved it for the christening cooked it and everyone had some.Oh and i couldn't im a veggie and even if i wasn't i just couldn't.

floyed
23-May-09, 12:14
No way:eek:

Gizmo
23-May-09, 12:20
Boak!...no chance

katarina
23-May-09, 12:41
i have seen cats eat the afterbirth. !!

I've also seen cats eat their young - and no one advises we should do that!

Gene Hunt
23-May-09, 12:52
After some of my wives cooking ??, please .. bring it on. At least with placenta I would know what it is when I sat down to eat it. And it probably wouldnt be still moving unlike some of my wifes concoctions.

She gave me a steak so rare the other week I could have had it walking around after a few zaps with a defibrillator.

Gizmo
23-May-09, 13:05
She gave me a steak so rare the other week I could have had it walking around after a few zaps with a defibrillator.

Is that you wifes Defibrillator you'd be using?, didn't think they could do that :lol:

Invisible
23-May-09, 13:15
Coming from a farming background I would not eat placenta.
I've see my dog go up and sniff it and have seen the cows eat it.
Same with sheep. One lambing I slipped on the stuff its lethal, had a bruised behind for a week.!

teenybash
23-May-09, 13:53
YEUK!!!!:eek:

Gene Hunt
23-May-09, 14:13
Is that you wifes Defibrillator you'd be using?, didn't think they could do that :lol:

The petrol powered ones can .. ;)

Gizmo
23-May-09, 14:24
The petrol powered ones can .. ;)

Is it a two stroke engine? :lol:

Gene Hunt
23-May-09, 15:05
Is it a two stroke engine? :lol:

Now your just trying to entice me into talking myself into trouble .. ;):lol:

But yes .. it is.

shazzap
23-May-09, 15:23
Have just been perusing the rest of the posts after putting my tuppence worth in at the beginning. I know a lot of people have mentioned how nutritious it is supposed to be, but. Would that not depend on what the persons diet and lifestyle consisted of ?

Just a thought !!!!!!!!

Bazeye
23-May-09, 16:04
Have just been perusing the rest of the posts after putting my tuppence worth in at the beginning. I know a lot of people have mentioned how nutritious it is supposed to be, but. Would that not depend on what the persons diet and lifestyle consisted of ?

Just a thought !!!!!!!!

Winehouse placenta anyone?

joxville
23-May-09, 16:06
Pizza placenta perchance?

Venture
23-May-09, 16:19
Pizza placenta perchance?

The recipe is above if you fancy it Jox. Disguised with some garlic you probably wouldn't even know what you were eating.[lol]

Venture
23-May-09, 17:36
What kind of weirdo stops and video's that then posts it on the net?

And just what and who gives you the right to call Kevin a weirdo just because he has posted film of a natural event in the animal world? I didn't see anywhere in his post that it was compulsory to view the video, he did tell you what it contained. You viewed it through choice and posted on here. Kevin happens to be a very polite and helpful guy and well respected on the org. Try saving the name "weirdo" for those who deserve it.[disgust]

Bazeye
23-May-09, 18:06
The recipe is above if you fancy it Jox. Disguised with some garlic you probably wouldn't even know what you were eating.[lol]

Especially after five pints.:lol:

Kevin Milkins
23-May-09, 22:11
I think the answer to the question is a most definate no. As I said about twenty years ago it was a very topicle subject and quite a yuppy thing to do.

Its meant to be very good for you.

This is one theory and not sure what evidence it was based on.

i new i shouldnt have looked again i think im going to be sick

Curiosity killed the kitty kat.

The theory that I've heard that animals do that to minimise the attraction of predators to their young. Sounds like good sense to me!:D

This theory holds more water in my opinion and makes most sense.

After some of my wives cooking ??, please .. bring it on. At least with placenta I would know what it is when I sat down to eat it. And it probably wouldnt be still moving unlike some of my wifes concoctions.

I think Mrs Hunt will be delighted with you Gene if she reads this thread.[evil]lol

Just a thought !!!!!!!!

Good question.

What kind of weirdo stops and video's that then posts it on the net?

It's an opinion, and I respect that.

And just what and who gives you the right to call Kevin a weirdo just because he has posted film of a natural event in the animal world? I didn't see anywhere in his post that it was compulsory to view the video, he did tell you what it contained. You viewed it through choice and posted on here. Kevin happens to be a very polite and helpful guy and well respected on the org. Try saving the name "weirdo" for those who deserve it.[disgust]

Thank you Venture.