PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 11:00
Do any of you people find if something happens in the news that disturbs you, you can just ignore it and it goes away?

Whitewater
08-Mar-06, 12:09
I find many news reports both offensive and disturbing. I wonder at times how many of the "first line" people involved i.e. ambulance personnnel, policemen & women, social workers etc. can ever get over some of the sights they see. It must be dreadful for them.

I'm still shocked by the little girls body found in the suitcase in the Caledonian canal. I can't understand the role the grandparents played, if she was (as originally reported) moved from the area, you would think the first thing they would want would be an address or phone number so that they could contact their grand daughter just to see if she had settled into her new home or just to talk to her.

Sometimes peoples actions are beyond belief.

To answer the question, sometimes things just don't go away, they are too horrific to forget.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 12:45
I posted a thread last night, it was disturbing but it was lifted straight from a news report and the thread was removed.

MGB1979
08-Mar-06, 12:50
I posted a thread last night, it was disturbing but it was lifted straight from a news report and the thread was removed.

I saw that post and thought it was a bit much for a family forum. The sensible thing to do would be provide a link or a warning that there was a graphic description of animal abuse, just like they would on the news. The particular story is about 5 years old anyway.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 12:59
Interesting. "A bit graphic" you say? I'm unclear on the rules as I've seen posts on this website about killing in Iraq, babies in bags, kids in suitcases and many other news reports. Are they acceptable for a family forum? Who decides?

MGB1979
08-Mar-06, 13:06
Ultimately, the mods decide, they have to make sure the forum is suitable for people of all ages.

Bingobabe
08-Mar-06, 13:07
I posted a thread last night, it was disturbing but it was lifted straight from a news report and the thread was removed.I think people should beaware of animal abuse as much as they are aware of human abuse.Lets face you cant sugar coat a story as bad as that also theres alot of sickos in the world and people should beaware of this and this is realilty.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 13:11
Well said.

wickerinca
08-Mar-06, 17:13
I know what you mean Random Hero! Sometimes I read the headline and turn the page or click on the next subject as I just find it too distressing. It is so hard to believe that there are just such evil people in the world. Are there more of them or is it just that with modern media reporting we hear of it more?
Unfortunately it doesn't go away.....I wish it would, but it won't.:cry:

Saveman
08-Mar-06, 17:20
No it doesn't go away. In a way I sometimes wish I didn't have an interest in what goes on in the world but then I think why should I live in a bubble?
Why should I go about my everyday life oblivious to the suffering others? I shouldn't. None of us should.

crashbandicoot1979
08-Mar-06, 17:26
I like to think that if I was to ignore it, it would go away but I know that it won't and I agree with saveman that no one should be oblivious to the suffering of others. So I read/watch the news and thank my lucky stars that I have this life and not another.

wickerinca
08-Mar-06, 17:30
No it doesn't go away. In a way I sometimes wish I didn't have an interest in what goes on in the world but then I think why should I live in a bubble?
Why should I go about my everyday life oblivious to the suffering others? I shouldn't. None of us should.

I agree Saveman (What is happening to me!!?) I get so upset at the news sometimes that I have to go and run (Well.....trot!!) round the garden or take the vacuum cleaner out! I sit at the lake to try and get perspective back into my head and list the things I have to be thankful for....which are many. There are many events that we have absolutely no control over but we still feel helpless when faced with the many atrocities carried out on innocents.
Have to go for a trot.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Mar-06, 17:39
I like to think that if I was to ignore it, it would go away but I know that it won't and I agree with saveman that no one should be oblivious to the suffering of others. So I read/watch the news and thank my lucky stars that I have this life and not another.

Read the papers today as usual.Went a wander doon the street with my better half.Said hello to all ma fellow Weekers who always say hello.Ye know what?Agree with what ye all have said,but there really isnae any place like home.:grin:

Abdullah
08-Mar-06, 19:01
I think that may have been more to do with copyright as alot of online news sites are starting to clamp down heavily on sites that breach their copyright. maybe a summarized version with a credit and link to the original author would have been acceptable.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 19:13
I think that may have been more to do with copyright as alot of online news sites are starting to clamp down heavily on sites that breach their copyright. maybe a summarized version with a credit and link to the original author would have been acceptable.

No. There was no link, nothing to suggest it was a news report. It's to protect people who want to ignore things and pretend they don't happen.

MGB1979
08-Mar-06, 19:16
No. There was no link, nothing to suggest it was a news report. It's to protect people who want to ignore things and pretend they don't happen.

But it was a news report.

I think you've taken the hump because the thread was removed, but if you'd linked to the story people could still read it and, I'll bet, the thread would still be here.

Saveman
08-Mar-06, 19:16

I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that it was deemed explicit to an adult level and so not suitable for a family forum.

connieb19
08-Mar-06, 19:25
No. There was no link, nothing to suggest it was a news report. It's to protect people who want to ignore things and pretend they don't happen.So by reading about it these people would be doing something to prevent it happening?:confused: Is that what you are trying to say?

Personally, I'd rather not read such reports, not because I want to pretend they don't happen but because it upsets me that these things do happen and me reading about them will still not make them go away!![mad]

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 19:44
I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that it was deemed explicit to an adult level and so not suitable for a family forum.

And the Iraq war isn't?

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 19:46
So by reading about it these people would be doing something to prevent it happening?:confused: Is that what you are trying to say?

Personally, I'd rather not read such reports, not because I want to pretend they don't happen but because it upsets me that these things do happen and me reading about them will still not make them go away!![mad]

It was a lengthy article. You could have stopped reading whenever.

Perhaps people want to do things to prevent things like that. So if they don't know about them, how can they? I can't run things by people before I post them incase I 'upset' them.

connieb19
08-Mar-06, 19:52
It was a lengthy article. You could have stopped reading whenever.

Perhaps people want to do things to prevent things like that. So if they don't know about them, how can they? I can't run things by people before I post them incase I 'upset' them.So maybe you would like to tell me how you or I can prevent these things?

Saveman
08-Mar-06, 19:52
And the Iraq war isn't?

That's not my call.....but kids are more likely to read something about animals than about war.
I read your post and it was truly horrific, are you happy enough with kids reading it?

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 20:09
The topic heading had nothing to do with animals? They arn't phsycic kids.

It's not my call what kids read. But to be honest should they be reading things about the Iraq war which is painted with blood all over this forum? Or is that not your call either? Is it my call? You seem to think so, Saveman. This forum contains sectarianism also in some posts. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 20:11
So maybe you would like to tell me how you or I can prevent these things?

Where's the initiative in that? If you want a suggestion, in the article it states an anti animal cruelty group are trying to introduce animal welfare laws in China, you can sign up to show your support with their cause which in my mind is an extremly valid one. The option is there.

connieb19
08-Mar-06, 20:11

It's not my call what kids read. But to be honest should they be reading things about the Iraq war which is painted with blood all over this forum? Or is that not your call either? Is it my call? You seem to think so, Saveman. This forum contains sectarianism also in some posts. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not.What are you speaking about? :confused:

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 20:13
What are you speaking about? :confused:

That was Saveman's answer. I've also posted an answer to your post

Saveman
08-Mar-06, 20:16

It's not my call what kids read. But to be honest should they be reading things about the Iraq war which is painted with blood all over this forum? Or is that not your call either? Is it my call? You seem to think so, Saveman. This forum contains sectarianism also in some posts. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

It's admins call. Plenty of people read your post, admin decided to remove it. I don't think personally I would have posted all of the details but maybe just a link to the site and gave a warning about the explicit content. Maybe it is double standards with threads about Iraq also on the forum, but your post gave me a sick-to-the-stomach feeling that I never got from any of the Iraq posts and I wasn't particularly surprised it was removed. That said, I would rather know about this case than be in ignorant bliss which helps noone but me.
Let's not misdirect our anger about this Chinese womans habits against each other.

RandomHero
08-Mar-06, 20:19
I'm not angry I just wonder why people find some things offensive and some things not. It was a detailed article but like I say it was an article. It gave me a sick to the stomach feeling also, but then again so does seom of the articles/videos filmed in Iraq.

JAWS
08-Mar-06, 20:40
Did I miss something interesting? Perhaps a few words we could Google would suffice for people to catch up.

The only thing that I find difficult to understand is that, in this day and age, people can still be shocked by what humanity is capable of.
It's not that many generations ago that a public execution was a good afternoon's entertainment, the gorier the better.

We like to believe that humans are so superior to other life forms when in reality we are still only half a step away from being savages.

Saveman
08-Mar-06, 20:47
Did I miss something interesting? Perhaps a few words we could Google would suffice for people to catch up.

The only thing that I find difficult to understand is that, in this day and age, people can still be shocked by what humanity is capable of.
It's not that many generations ago that a public execution was a good afternoon's entertainment, the gorier the better.

We like to believe that humans are so superior to other life forms when in reality we are still only half a step away from being savages.

Yes good point Jaws. History has proved humanity can be extremely animalistic given certain circumstances. It is probably because we live in 2006, and generally speaking don't engage in violence as part of our everyday life (in this part of the world) that we can be shocked by the depths of degradation and violence that some will stoop. Especially if it is for entertainment and perpetrated upon helpless creatures.

MadPict
08-Mar-06, 21:08

"Disturbing"?

Then why post it?

:confused:

weefee
08-Mar-06, 21:26
i read that post too, and i think that it would have been to long for most young children to be interested, teenagers possibly may have read it, but surely they are old enough to have an opinion on the matter involved - as really they will be the generation to do something realistic about this and similar problems, if we ban young people for reading about these subjects then how can they have an opinion or an interest. Is ignorance bliss or is education and freedom of information the way forward?

Shadow
08-Mar-06, 22:42
i read that post too, and i think that it would have been to long for most young children to be interested, teenagers possibly may have read it, but surely they are old enough to have an opinion on the matter involved - as really they will be the generation to do something realistic about this and similar problems, if we ban young people for reading about these subjects then how can they have an opinion or an interest. Is ignorance bliss or is education and freedom of information the way forward?

I'm a teenager, I read half the post and was horrified at it! It was in far too much detail! He could have shortened it to say that the animal was incredibly badly abused, instead of saying what the person had done. Or he could of at least posted something in the title to warn people about the horridness of it!!

Bingobabe
08-Mar-06, 22:49
i read that post too, and i think that it would have been to long for most young children to be interested, teenagers possibly may have read it, but surely they are old enough to have an opinion on the matter involved - as really they will be the generation to do something realistic about this and similar problems, if we ban young people for reading about these subjects then how can they have an opinion or an interest. Is ignorance bliss or is education and freedom of information the way forward?I agree what ever happened to freedom of speech freedom to express an opion. You cant bubble wrap kids of things that happen in todays society no matter how inhumain they may be. They can pick up a newspaper thats sitting in their own house and read far worse. Isnt it better to let children know the dangers in life rather than let them be ignorant to such things.

teritoots
08-Mar-06, 22:50
Random hero could you maybe provide the link so then we can decide if we'd like to read it or not?

weefee
08-Mar-06, 22:52
I'm a teenager, I read half the post and was horrified at it! It was in far too much detail! He could have shortened it to say that the animal was incredibly badly abused, instead of saying what the person had done. Or he could of at least posted something in the title to warn people about the horridness of it!!

you have a fair point with that, i agree it was very graphic and a disclaimer would have been a good idea, but rather removed from the board could it not have been edited?

Abdullah
08-Mar-06, 23:11
Heres a link to a site telling you how you can help to try and stop these videos:

http://www.dopplerfx.com/dfx_cfm/crush/crush_main.cfm?dest=FAQ

RandomHero
09-Mar-06, 18:17
I would post a link to the news report but it contains pictures aswell and that would certainly offend. Like I say it was a news report. If you think it's too graphic then that's something to take up with the publisher. We can't bubble wrap kids and especially not teenagers. They hear worse things in the playground than they do on television in alot of cases.