PDA

View Full Version : Anti freeze petition result.

teenybash
22-May-09, 12:47
A time back I signed a petition to have a bittering agent added to sweet tasting antifreeze, as pets were dying due to lapping spillage.
This is how the Government responded...www.number10.gov.uk/Page19371 (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19371)
What are your thoughts.

GetWithTheTimes
22-May-09, 13:07
i think it shouldnt be left lying about just like bleach and other things harmful to health

if they were put away correctly in a safe place in the first place then kids and animals couldnt drink it

so i dont think that a bittering agent needs to be added i think people just need to put stuff away after them, and not under the kitchen sink where kids and animals can get to with ease its stupid place to put dangerous cleaners and anti freeze

just my opinion but the deaths of animals and kids because of antifreeze is purely the customers fault they shouldn't of left it lying around in the first place

carasmam
22-May-09, 14:10
Dogs can get antifreeze poisoning from drinking water that has leaked from a engine, so keeping the bottle safely locked away is not really the issue here :roll:

GetWithTheTimes
22-May-09, 14:18
Dogs can get antifreeze poisoning from drinking water that has leaked from a engine, so keeping the bottle safely locked away is not really the issue here :roll:

well if the engine is leaking i think it should be fixed by the owner and if its a dangerous poisoning chemical maybe it should be washed away from under the leaking car so the dog doesnt drink it

i had a friend who's dog kept getting in the rat poison years ago and eventually he managed to get right in about it and died, now i am pretty sure rat poison isnt going to be sweet but he ate it anyway

my grans dog ate cat poo out the litter tray

my dog eats seaweed and all sorts of stuff he gets his hands on so i really doubt a bittering agent would do any good to deter a dog from something it wants to drink or eat

people rant bout dog mess if people cleaned up the anti freeze and the mess from under the car then they wouldnt drink it and die, thats a lazy dog owner!!! i would never leave stuff like that around for my dog to get hold of

Shabbychic
22-May-09, 14:33
The government appear to miss the point completely. In a fantasy world all poisons would be locked away, no spillages or contaminated water would exist, nasty people wouldn't use the stuff to deliberately poison animals, and animals and young children would be able to read. But we live in the real world, which the government clearly doesn't.

It's like saying, everybody knows landmines are dangerous so therefore nobody will step on them.

I think the petition should perhaps be done again with simplified wording, or maybe the issue was never really looked at at all. It's a bit like call centres, no matter what you ask, you just get the standard reply written on screen in front of them.

I wonder if Joanna Lumley is a child and animal lover??:D

carasmam
22-May-09, 14:52
... thats a lazy dog owner!!! i would never leave stuff like that around for my dog to get hold of

Isn't it a car owner who maybe doesn't realise they have a leak ?

Margaret M.
22-May-09, 15:10

....or one who doesn't have any pets and does not think that the tasty treat may attract a neighbour's pet.

getwiththetimes, come join us in the real world.

GetWithTheTimes
22-May-09, 15:13

the point is if WE clean up our mess or decide to use NON poisonous products they wouldnt suffer its not the companies job to put a bitter agent in their product its YOUR job to use it resposibly on a car without a leaky engine!

if you have pets YOU should be taking the care to make sure it doesnt happen END OF not blame the company for having sweet anti freeze lol whether its sweet or bitter its your job to clean it up and put it away not anyone elses YOURS

GetWithTheTimes
22-May-09, 15:17
....or one who doesn't have any pets and does not think that the tasty treat may attract a neighbour's pet.

getwiththetimes, come join us in the real world.

well you should be watching where your pet is and what its doing!

if your neighbour uses it and doesnt clean up dont let the dog next door

and if your pets are just wandering to a neighbours house for a drink maybe you should water the pets more!

chocolate is supposed to be bad for dogs should we put a bittering agent in it too?

i am in the real world i think all you lot petitioning for a bittering agent to be put in anti freeze need to come in to the real world and get a grip

carasmam
22-May-09, 15:22
Yes, you are right and I am wrong, thanks for enlightening me :D

bish667
22-May-09, 15:48

I think the point he is trying to make is that a dog will drink anything thats there if its thirsty, whether its bitter or sweet, wouldnt it?

I havent read too much into this issue but what exactly is involved in changin the taste to bitter and does it affect the effectiveness of the anti-freeze?

GetWithTheTimes
22-May-09, 19:37
I think the point he is trying to make is that a dog will drink anything thats there if its thirsty, whether its bitter or sweet, wouldnt it?

I havent read too much into this issue but what exactly is involved in changin the taste to bitter and does it affect the effectiveness of the anti-freeze?

woohoo someone got the point lol

yes a dog will eat or drink whatever whether its nice or not

if its thirsty it will drink and hungry it will eat sweet or bitter

so really if you want to save the dogs life clean it up or ask your neighbour to clean it up if its the neighbour

and fix your car if its leaking

why should the company have to make changes

i bet if your dog was thirsty it would drink bleach water and i assume it isnt sweet does it require bitter taste added?

when i wash the dog he drinks the shampoo water he sits in and he has water all the time so i doubt he was drinking it just because he was thirsty he probably drank it coz he could

he tries to eat threads off the rope even tho he gags everytime he tries to swallow it but he persists anyway so changing the taste of something isnt going to stop a dog drinking it if it wants to

and some dogs might not mind bitter taste, what makes you think bitter is what will stop dogs drinking it, chilli would burn em and no doubt stop em drinking it why not heat taste added, then again some dogs will eat hot same as some will eat bitter things

and who actually drank anti freeze to find out its sweet??? hahahahahaha

cuddlepop
22-May-09, 20:07
A time back I signed a petition to have a bittering agent added to sweet tasting antifreeze, as pets were dying due to lapping spillage.
This is how the Government responded...www.number10.gov.uk/Page19371 (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19371)
What are your thoughts.

Typical they just havent seen the point.
In the grand scheme of things just how much is a "disgusting" taste/smell added to antifreeze going to cost.:confused

EDDIE
26-May-09, 21:51
As matter of interest some design of engines have a cooling system filter in it so when water passess through the crystals releases an additive to prevent freezing but the trouble is its not a common design in engines that type of idea means you dont need antifreeze.

Liz
27-May-09, 12:15
well you should be watching where your pet is and what its doing!

if your neighbour uses it and doesnt clean up dont let the dog next door

and if your pets are just wandering to a neighbours house for a drink maybe you should water the pets more!

chocolate is supposed to be bad for dogs should we put a bittering agent in it too?

i am in the real world i think all you lot petitioning for a bittering agent to be put in anti freeze need to come in to the real world and get a grip

Oh so all cat owners are supposed to follow their cats wherever they go? That would be interesting!:roll:
I can imagine all those people climbing over fences and going through neighbour's gardens!:lol:

The problem is not with the owners of the pets who, of course, should keep all chemicals etc out of harms way but with neighbours etc who may not do this.

Good grief what would it take to just add a bittering agent to the anti-freeze?!

teenybash
27-May-09, 13:07
I was disappointed when I read the petition results and the no use attitude of the gov.....but what can be expected from the lot in Westminster.
Agree it is not pet owners who are at fault but, those who are careless allowing spillage of such a dangerous and attractive tasting poison.
A simple instruction to manufacturers to add a bittering agent would have been all that was needed. No doubt there will be another attempt at persuading the gov to help with this issue...though hopefully it won't be who we have in power at the moment....but that is another topic.[disgust]

Margaret M.
27-May-09, 19:24

It's more than a pet wanting to drink because it is thirsty. The problem is the aroma of the antifreeze which actually lures the animals to it. It's appealing smell and taste tempt the animals to drink it.

cuddlepop
27-May-09, 20:21
Dogs will turn up their noses at peaty water so maybe that could be added to antifreeze.;)