PDA

View Full Version : Coping

shazzap
19-May-09, 22:19
I have to go to Wick hospital for a ct scan to check the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else tomorrow.I am feeling very nervous, not of the scan but the results. I know i will be thinking the worst as thats the type of person i am. At night in bed my mind runs away with me and i can't sleep even though i am tired out. Any suggestions of how to relax what are your coping mechanisms.

Fluff
19-May-09, 22:21
Good luck with your appointment.
A warm/hot bath can help, or a warm drink. Talking or writing down your thoughts can sometimes help.

starry
19-May-09, 22:24
I have never had to cope with anything as serious or as scary but for most things I find music or reading are good for destressing me or taking my mind of my worries.

I think for tonight just accepting you won't sleep well and are going to be worrying a lot will take some of the pressure off.
Curl up with a good book or find folk online to chat to.
Warm baths, candlelight, hot chocolate (just chocolate) glass of wine.

Good luck for tomorrow Shazz, I hope you get it hasn't spread, I will keep everything crossed for you xx

Scunner
19-May-09, 22:30
Know the feeling only too well, but not since some time. Hope everything goes well.

shazzap
19-May-09, 22:31
Good luck with your appointment.
A warm/hot bath can help, or a warm drink. Talking or writing down your thoughts can sometimes help.

I have never had to cope with anything as serious or as scary but for most things I find music or reading are good for destressing me or taking my mind of my worries.

I think for tonight just accepting you won't sleep well and are going to be worrying a lot will take some of the pressure off.
Curl up with a good book or find folk online to chat to.
Warm baths, candlelight, hot chocolate (just chocolate) glass of wine.

Good luck for tomorrow Shazz, I hope you get it hasn't spread, I will keep everything crossed for you xx

Cheers for your thoughts.

BINBOB
19-May-09, 22:36
Hope it will be good news...thinking of u.best wishes.;)

shazzap
19-May-09, 22:43
Know the feeling only too well, but not since some time. Hope everything goes well.

This is my second Ct since my radiotherapy ended sometimes i feel like saying !!! well you know what i mean.It is easier to be ignorant.

Hope it will be good news...thinking of u.best wishes.;)

Thank you/

Venture
19-May-09, 23:09
I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

poppett
19-May-09, 23:47
Hope all goes well for you. Waiting for the scan is anxious enough, waiting for the results is worse. Fingers and toes crossed for you that you get good news.

teenybash
19-May-09, 23:53
Shazzap, sometimes it is better just to hand your worries, your fears or stress into the waiting hands of the Gods/God or whover your god may be.
Quietly and calmly pass your cares into their waiting hands and they will then wrap you in a warm blanket of pure Love, to keep you safe and warm safe from all harm. Lie still for a moment and let go and you will find yourself calm and relaxed.................Lots and lots of healing energy will circle around you tomorrow. Good luck and best wishes for Good news.:)

Liz
20-May-09, 00:02
Shazzap it is completely normal to feel worried by such a stressful situation but taking a deep breathe really can help. Try taking a really deep breathe in then holding and exhale really slowly. Keep doing this for a wee while. Also, Rescue Remedy could help as would lavender oil on your pillow.
Listening to some relaxing music may help.
I know it is a bit late for you but I have been listening to subliminal CDs to help with stress and they seem to be working. Like you I am a worrier.

Do you get your results on the same day?

Thinking of you and hope with all my heart you get good news!

Take care. xxx

Margaret M.
20-May-09, 01:39
I hope things go well tomorrow, Shazzap, and I hope the results are what you want to hear. The dark of night can be a frightening time when you are facing an uncertain situation. I have been doing this breathing exercise for a number of years and it truly makes a difference, very calming.

Dr. Weil -- A Natural Tranquilizer:
Use it whenever anything upsetting happens -- before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly -- it is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently.

Since breathing is something we can control and regulate, it is a useful tool for achieving a relaxed and clear state of mind.

Exercise: 4-7-8
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.
• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
• Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
• Hold your breath for a count of seven.
• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
• This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.
This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Fran
20-May-09, 02:25
Shazzap I will be thinking of you tomorrow, I know it is hard not to worry. Hope you have someone going with you. You wont have long to wait for the scan. I find deep breathing and relaxing music helps in a stressfull time.
The Macmillan cancer site is a good one to share worries with others.I find this very helpfull.
Good luck . xxx

TRUCKER
20-May-09, 06:06
Hope everything goes ok for you . Good luck

balto
20-May-09, 09:21
I have to go to Wick hospital for a ct scan to check the cancer hasn't spread anywhere else tomorrow.I am feeling very nervous, not of the scan but the results. I know i will be thinking the worst as thats the type of person i am. At night in bed my mind runs away with me and i can't sleep even though i am tired out. Any suggestions of how to relax what are your coping mechanisms.
Do you know, ive been complaining of how tired i have been cause we have had thie sickness bug in the house the baby was the last one to get it, so lack of sleep has been a major problem over the past week, but reading this i am truly disgusted with myself, to think someone is going through this awful time, lets me think how grateful i should be. hope all goes well for you , and i will be thinking of you.x

lelebo
20-May-09, 09:32
will be thinking of you today xxx

Rie
20-May-09, 09:45
Hope all goes well for you , just remember we are all here any time you need to talk, the org is a remarkable support system. :)

Lavenderblue2
20-May-09, 09:56
Dear Shazzap,

I know it's not easy but try and think positive thoughts and involve yourself in things which, hopefully, will take your mind away from worrying.
Deep relaxing breathing may help you at night - breath deeply in through your nose so as your abdomen swells until you can't draw in more breath; then breath out VERY slowly through pursed lips. Continue to do this and you will feel more relaxed.

I am waiting for the results of a CT scan, which was done in Raigmore on the 11th May; also, today my daughter is down at Raigmore on an urgent referral to the breast clinic…

I hope today will dismiss all of your worries – bless you.

LB2 :)

shazzap
20-May-09, 12:19
Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind thoughts.
I am back from the scan and will have to wait 7-10 days for results.
The silly thing is that i wasn't supposed to be there until Friday, i felt a right fool i'll tell you.

They had had a no show so did the ct scan for me, which i thought was very nice of them.

Well again thank you all.

annthracks
20-May-09, 12:43
good luck with the results

BINBOB
20-May-09, 13:12
Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind thoughts.
I am back from the scan and will have to wait 7-10 days for results.
The silly thing is that i wasn't supposed to be there until Friday, i felt a right fool i'll tell you.

They had had a no show so did the ct scan for me, which i thought was very nice of them.

Well again thank you all.

i have done something similar..i think it was because u were stressed.i really hope it will be very good news...please let us all know.fingers all crossed here.

BINBOB
20-May-09, 13:13
Dear Shazzap,

I know it's not easy but try and think positive thoughts and involve yourself in things which, hopefully, will take your mind away from worrying.
Deep relaxing breathing may help you at night - breath deeply in through your nose so as your abdomen swells until you can't draw in more breath; then breath out VERY slowly through pursed lips. Continue to do this and you will feel more relaxed.

I am waiting for the results of a CT scan, which was done in Raigmore on the 11th May; also, today my daughter is down at Raigmore on an urgent referral to the breast clinic…

ahh..that is a lot of worrying to get through,really hope all will be well.thoughts are with u both.

Mrs Bucket
20-May-09, 13:50
When my demons visit me at night which happens regularly this is what works for me. I have cordless earphones and I listen to music or radio programmes.

Margaret M.
20-May-09, 13:52

I hope the news is good on both counts, Lavenderblue. It sounds like a long wait to get the results of these tests.

shazzap
20-May-09, 13:58
Dear Shazzap,

I really hope you and your daughter are ok :)

Lavenderblue2
20-May-09, 19:10
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Tonight it is with great relief I can tell you that my daughter had good news - she has an abscess deep in her breast but at least it isn't anything sinister.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your results Shazzap - I'm with you in the waiting game...

Bless you all, LB2 :)

shazzap
20-May-09, 19:14

Tonight it is with great relief I can tell you that my daughter had good news - she has an abscess deep in her breast but at least it isn't anything sinister.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your results Shazzap - I'm with you in the waiting game...

Great news about your daughter and i hope your news is good too.

Venture
20-May-09, 19:27

I hope things go well for you too LB2. Please pass on good wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery.

BINBOB
20-May-09, 20:43

so glad about ur daughter ,really hope ur news will be good too.;)

shazzap
21-May-09, 17:21
Well have just been to another hospital appointment which i knew would be a waste of time.

Physiotherapy.

The physio wasn't expecting what he saw today, his words were i have never seen anything like it before i was not expecting to see such extensive surgery.

When i went to see the consultant last week he booked the ct scan and also for me to see a physio, since my op i can't bend my leg inwards or at least not very well at all. the physio asked to take a look at my back also as this is where the transplant of muscle for my leg was taken from.

I joked with him that i bet he didn't think he would be seeing something like that today.

He said that he would refer me onto an occupational therapist to see if they can help with anything to help with putting socks and shoes on as with having no bend i find this hard. Wish they could do something about the awkward positions i have to sleep in on a night with my leg and back.

Ah well such is life.

Fran
21-May-09, 18:26
The occupational therapist will be helpfull. they have cushions specially designed for under your legs or wherever, an electric air mattress which you can adjust with remote control, appliances to pull up tights, put on shoes, do up zips, you name it and they will have it. hope you get some comfort now, and mostly a good result from your scan. fran x

shazzap
21-May-09, 19:05
The occupational therapist will be helpfull. they have cushions specially designed for under your legs or wherever, an electric air mattress which you can adjust with remote control, appliances to pull up tights, put on shoes, do up zips, you name it and they will have it. hope you get some comfort now, and mostly a good result from your scan. fran x

Thats good to know Fran.

Thank you.:)

shazzap
28-May-09, 10:37
Dear Shazzap,

I am waiting for the results of a CT scan, which was done in Raigmore on the 11th May;

I have been thinking about you and wondered if you have your results yet. Are you ok.

Lavenderblue2
28-May-09, 18:30
Hi Shazzap, when I still hadn't heard a week ago today I telephoned the consultants secretary and she told me that a letter had been written and I should receive it on Monday or Tuesday.
Being as Monday was a Bank Holiday I was sure it would come Tuesday - it didn't - nor Wednesday or today. I telephoned again today only to be told that the letter still hasn't been signed!!
I am so fed up, I've been quite poorly for the last two weeks, I just want to get this sorted out.

Have you had your results yet?

Lavenderblue2

shazzap
28-May-09, 18:41
It really annoys me when they take their time with results like these.

I know they are busy but you would think they would prioritise, waiting causes stress and illness also sleepless nights and worry.

You are not on your own i am still waiting but not as long as you have been. I hope you hear something soon, maybe you should get your GP to give them a call.

Lavenderblue2
28-May-09, 19:06
I'll just wait, I don't want to make a nuisance of myself. As you say Shazzap they ARE busy and I'm not the only one waiting - you are testament to that. Lets hope that we'll both hear soon.

How's the physio going?

LB2

cuddlepop
28-May-09, 19:40
LB2 and Shazzap what a worrying time for you both.

Hope your both feeling better soon and the Health board realise they're causing extra stress that you can do without.:(

katarina
28-May-09, 20:37
I feel really annoyed for you at the delay in posting your letter out. these people don't seem to realise the stress the waiting game causes. It is as bad as anything - I know. If they had experienced it themselves they would maybe get a move on. I so hope you have good news - every minute you wait is like a week. Hang in there. God bless.

starry
28-May-09, 20:45
I would give your GP a ring, I am sure they can access the results on computer.

Good luck xxx

shazzap
28-May-09, 21:02
I'll just wait, I don't want to make a nuisance of myself. As you say Shazzap they ARE busy and I'm not the only one waiting - you are testament to that. Lets hope that we'll both hear soon.

How's the physio going?

LB2

You will not make a nuisance of your self you have a right to know and not have to worry. Ring your GP.

I would give your GP a ring, I am sure they can access the results on computer.

Your GP can access results on thier computer.

Good luck xxx

Iffy
28-May-09, 21:32
My Dad was waiting for some test results and I urged him to make an apppointment to find out the results (Or, at least some idea of what was happening ????)

WELL when he went to his Docs. today the results just "happened" to be on the computer there and then !!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My Dad had put his "test" in well over a week ago, so why did it take an appointment for him to find out what the outcome of quite a serious test would be ????[evil]

shazzap
28-May-09, 21:37
My Dad was waiting for some test results and I urged him to make an apppointment to find out the results (Or, at least some idea of what was happening ????)

WELL when he went to his Docs. today the results just "happened" to be on the computer there and then !!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My Dad had put his "test" in well over a week ago, so why did it take an appointment for him to find out what the outcome of quite a serious test would be ????[evil]

I hope your dad is ok Iffy.

Iffy
28-May-09, 21:42
Shazzap and Lavenderblue2

My thoughts are with you both ? -

MUCH LOVE TO YOU BOTH xxx

Lavenderblue2
29-May-09, 16:19
Hello all,
I took your advice and telephoned my GP's surgery this morning and a very helpful girl in admin accessed the letter and put it in my file. I saw the Doc this afternoon - the area they were looking at in the CT scan showed nothing wrong but something else quite significant has shown up. Now I have to start another round of investigations but at least the ball is rolling again.
Thank you all for your kind words.
Lavenderblue2 xox

starry
29-May-09, 16:31
I am glad you know what is going on now Lavendar xxxx

Good luck for the next round of tests.

shazzap
29-May-09, 17:57
Hello all,
I took your advice and telephoned my GP's surgery this morning and a very helpful girl in admin accessed the letter and put it in my file. I saw the Doc this afternoon - the area they were looking at in the CT scan showed nothing wrong but something else quite significant has shown up. Now I have to start another round of investigations but at least the ball is rolling again.
Thank you all for your kind words.
Lavenderblue2 xox

I am happy for you. :)

Liz
29-May-09, 18:08
I know what it is like to go through all kinds of tests and then have to wait for the results.

So I am thinking of you Shazzap and Lavenderblue2 and really hope that things work out well for you both. xx