PDA

View Full Version : 1 Ebenezer Place

Fluff
19-May-09, 18:20
So here I was, browsing my websites I go to when I am bored, and I come accross a list of 'The most amazing streets i the world'
What is at no.2 but 1 Ebenezer Place - Mackays Hotel in Wick!

World famous now.

Margaret M.
19-May-09, 18:24
It used to be the world's shortest street -- I see a street in Ohio is now #1.

dirdyweeker
19-May-09, 20:40
It used to be the world's shortest street -- I see a street in Ohio is now #1.

The street in Ohio used to be the shortest but it is 15 feet long in comparision to Ebenezers at just 6 foot 9 inches.
Ohio claim to have oldest street in the world (1891) but I have read that Ebenezer Place was built in 1888 so perhaps we can claim the Oldest street too?:D

Margaret M.
19-May-09, 20:50
When I read Fluff's post, I was surprised to see Ebenezer as #2, did a quick Google and obviously came up with outdated info. After a closer look, I see it is #2 in most amazing, not shortest. Glad to hear the record is still held by Wick.

Venture
19-May-09, 21:03
Ebenezer Place is definitely the shortest.

http://www.mackayshotel.co.uk/worldrecord.php

It actually appeared on records from 1887.

MGB1979
19-May-09, 21:24
Wait. The oldest street in the world was built in the 19th century? :confused

Venture
19-May-09, 21:29

Seems odd right enough now that I think about it. Maybe it's the oldest shortest street.:confused

MGB1979
19-May-09, 21:35
Seems odd right enough now that I think about it. Maybe it's the oldest shortest street.:confused

Well my house is number 10 and it was built in 1888 :lol:

scorrie
19-May-09, 22:21
There are cities dating back almost 10,000 years, There was another Murray Lamont doing business back then in Damascus and an Ice cream company called Walls of Jericho firing out sliders in 6800 BC (Before Cones)

Fran
20-May-09, 02:33
Ebenezers is in the guiness Book of records for being the shortest street in Britain. there was a lot of publicity about it.

Aaldtimer
20-May-09, 02:52

That's obviously nonsense.
Maybe they mean the oldest surviving street! :confused

oldmarine
20-May-09, 04:36
There are cities dating back almost 10,000 years, There was another Murray Lamont doing business back then in Damascus and an Ice cream company called Walls of Jericho firing out sliders in 6800 BC (Before Cones)

I vote for Jericho as being the oldest. But then I could be wrong as many times I am.

Bazeye
20-May-09, 10:02
Watling Street?

weeboyagee
20-May-09, 10:17
Young Street, starting at the harbour water in Toronto strikes me as being one of the longest if not the longest street in the world, and is also VERY old! Jane St in Toronto strikes me as being another.

WBG :cool:

golach
20-May-09, 10:21
Young Street, starting at the harbour water in Toronto strikes me as being one of the longest if not the longest street in the world, and is also VERY old! Jane St in Toronto strikes me as being another.

WBG, cough cough, just a wee hint, in case you dont want to damage Scots/Canadian relations.........its Yonge Street [lol]

George Brims
20-May-09, 18:39
I always thought Sepulveda Boulevard in Los Angeles was the world's longest street, as it runs about fifty miles, but apparently it has some breaks where it changes its name for a mile or two. However Figueroa Street runs continuously for 22 miles with no name change.

golach
20-May-09, 19:07
I always thought Sepulveda Boulevard in Los Angeles was the world's longest street, as it runs about fifty miles, but apparently it has some breaks where it changes its name for a mile or two. However Figueroa Street runs continuously for 22 miles with no name change.
Sorry George, you have been listening to the Yanks again, the Canucks win

http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/ONTARIO/TorontoYongeSt.html

joxville
20-May-09, 19:40

WBG, cough cough, just a wee hint, in case you dont want to damage Scots/Canadian relations.........its Yonge Street [lol]

It's listed here as Yonge Street though also say's it's contentious because it includes side roads and dead ends. http://ask.yahoo.com/20021121.html

joxville
20-May-09, 19:41

I'd hate to be the postman on that street. :eek: :D

golach
20-May-09, 19:49
It's listed here as Yonge Street though also say's it's contentious because it includes side roads and dead ends. http://ask.yahoo.com/20021121.html

At 1,896 km, Guinness recogonized Yonge St. as the longest street in the world

joxville
20-May-09, 20:03
Ah'm no arguin' wi ye, only pointin' it oot-dinna shoot the messenger. :D