PDA

View Full Version : talking of rainbow ...

badger
07-Mar-06, 13:55
Did anyone else hear that news item this morning about the nursery school that has banned the word "black" from a certain well-know nursery rhyme? Might offend someone so now they have to sing "Baa Baa rainbow sheep". It's true - I actually heard this on Today. Wonder what they do if they visit the country - cover the children's eyes? What colour birds do they have in Sing a Song of Sixpence? If I had a child in that school I'd move them pdq. :confused:

crashbandicoot1979
07-Mar-06, 14:10
Seriously???? That's definitely political correctness gone mad!!!!

weefee
07-Mar-06, 14:16
Did anyone else hear that news item this morning about the nursery school that has banned the word "black" from a certain well-know nursery rhyme? Might offend someone so now they have to sing "Baa Baa rainbow sheep". It's true - I actually heard this on Today. Wonder what they do if they visit the country - cover the children's eyes? What colour birds do they have in Sing a Song of Sixpence? If I had a child in that school I'd move them pdq. :confused:

it was baa baa happy sheep at my daughters nursery, that was 8 years ago...totally unnecessary!

obiron
07-Mar-06, 14:34
the pc brigade will they stop when theyve taken over the world. mental.

Liz
07-Mar-06, 14:37
Total madness!

These people have nothing better to do![mad]

2little2late
07-Mar-06, 14:39
It's all rainbow and white to me. [lol] [lol]

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 14:39
Why?Why?Why?

2little2late
07-Mar-06, 14:41
They will be changing the name of the colour black to very, very, very,very,very dark grey next.

angela5
07-Mar-06, 14:43
Thats crazy.....paint colours will be re-named next..

angela5
07-Mar-06, 14:45
some children need to wear pimsoles in school...the notice next will be very, very, very, very dark shade of grey pimsoles must be worn.:(

DrSzin
07-Mar-06, 14:50
Maybe it was a real rainbow sheep (http://www.blog.chezbriscoe.com/archives/images/2005_05_21/email/052105_rainbow_sheep.jpg)? Or perhaps they just had lots of different-coloured (http://www.worth1000.com/entries/115000/115306KpRO_w.jpg) ones?

I was admonished recently for using the word blackboard instead of chalkboard. I insisted it was a blackboard, but this clown wouldn't give in. Now I make a point of calling the things blackboards - especially the green ones. :lol:

JAWS
07-Mar-06, 14:52
Stuart Chamberlain, manager of the Family Centre in Abingdon and the Sure Start centre in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, defended the move.
He told the Courier Journal newspaper: "We have taken the equal opportunities approach to everything we do. This is fairly standard across nurseries."

Even Humpty Dumpty is not now allowed to break in case it upsets the children!

For more details see:-
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032006/140/nursery-rhyme-slaughtered-pc-brigade.html

And some people think I live in a Fantasy World. These allegedly well educated and intelligent clowns are filling children’s heads with this nonsense.

Changing the name of the Black Museum has already been mentioned on another thread.
Not too many months ago I heard mention of a book in which it is suggested that "Getting down to the Nitty-Gritty" should be banned as it referred to those slaves who were transported in the bottom of Slave Ships because when they arrived in the New World they were covered in filth and full of lice.
It would seem that the first recorded use of the phrase was in the dim and distant Slave Trading days of the 1950s.

Whatever next?
Ban the Old Woman in a Shoe as inciting Child Abuse?
Three Blind Mice and Old Mother Hubbard for Animal Cruelty?
Tom Tom the Piper's Son for encouraging Criminality?
The Queen of Hearts for insulting the Working Class?
Jack Spratt for glorifying Junk Food?
Little Boy Blue and his Horn for encouraging Noisy Anti-Social Behaviour? Or would it be unfair to stick an ASBO on him?
Mary, Mary and her Little Lamb has to go but I don't think they would like me to teach my alternative versions of that particular Nursery Rhyme, or Jack and Jill for that matter! ;)

Methinks the Asylum needs it's security checking before some more escape and start banning all those nasty frightening Fairy Tales.

2little2late
07-Mar-06, 14:52
To make things easy they could rename black, the opposite of white, as in

The opposite of white hole of Calcutta,

Baa,baa opposite of white sheep,

I've got an opposite of white eye,

"Can I have an opposite of white coffee please?".

I can't afford a colour television so I have an opposite of white and white one.

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 15:00
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,(as was his right) Humpty Dumpty had a great fall (the wall itself was well built and it seems that this incident may have been Humpty's own fault),
All the kings/queens horses and all the kings/queens men/women couldn't put Humpty together again.(but that didn't reflect on them or Humpty, it was a case of wrong place at the wrong time, and horses are hardly equipped for construction or maintenance of any kind.)
*Please Note* the name Humpty Dumpty is a traditional name and in no way reflects the weight or shape of Humpy Dumpty. He is not an egg. He was a male but females also had opportunity to sit on the same wall if they so wished. The fact that no females fell is not a taint on all males, this account is merely a recounting of an incident. Females could have fallen as well but a nursery rhyme was not composed about them. This is not discrimination……actually it might be discrimination.

"A person of unknown gender sat on a safe wall, this person of unknown gender had a significant fall, all the government officials and all of their modes of transport couldn't effectively aid the person of unknown gender to reestablish equilibrium in their life, either mentally or physically."

erli
07-Mar-06, 15:04
It's just stupid!
Who decides these things? :confused
A freind of mine is black and refers to herself as black.

Abdullah
07-Mar-06, 15:12
Baa baa muticultural sheep have you any wool?
Yes oh yes I have three bags full
One for my elevated person in charge,one for my equal opportunity lesbian co-ordinator.
And one for the refugee who lives down the lane.

nicknotnicked

emszxr
07-Mar-06, 15:57
dont even start me on this topic. it is crazy.
we cant say bah bah black sheep, but when it was bah bah white sheep did you hear any one complain.
and its not a black board any more. and no black bags either, its a bin bag now.
there is heaps i have heard that have had the word black removed. why oh why. if it was a white something would you hear everyone shout about it and jump up and down.
so what colour is my black jacket or my black boots. dark dark grey???? is that not offensive to elephants then????
all these pc people ned to find something better to do with their sad little lifes.
i shall still be singing bah bah black shep to my wee girl and if it aint pc correct in some people's minds or eyes, too bad.

JAWS
07-Mar-06, 16:12
I think many of these Nursery Rhymes should be brought to the attention of the Health and Safety Executive.
Most show an absolute disregard for the Duty of Care and also Safe Working Practice.

The people these reports refer to should be traced and prosecuted to the full extent of the Law for their blatant and callous disregard for the safety of others.
Their behaviour is quite unacceptable in a civilised society and they must be stopped at all costs!

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 16:15
I think many of these Nursery Rhymes should be brought to the attention of the Health and Safety Executive.
Most show an absolute disregard for the Duty of Care and also Safe Working Practice.

The people these reports refer to should be traced and prosecuted to the full extent of the Law for their blatant and callous disregard for the safety of others.
Their behaviour is quite unacceptable in a civilised society and they must be stopped at all costs!

LOL! :lol:

badger
07-Mar-06, 16:40
I did get caught out recently doing Eeny Meeny Miney Mo - got so far and thought, Whoops, can't say that so muttered something and rushed off to ask a friend of mine who's a teacher what the current version is. Apparently the accepted substitution is Tigger.

Maybe that is a bit more sensitive than all the other nonsense (love that Humpty Dumpty version, Saveman:eyes ) but I don't think black people themselves mind, it's the white idiots that get all worked up.

I have a black gay friend who moved to rural Wales some years ago and used to joke that he'd never get a job. He did stick out a bit like a sore thumb there but don't think he ever had any problems with anyone. Point is he thought it was funny. Do the nuts that make these rules have a sense of humour ? Silly question.

badger
07-Mar-06, 16:47
Maybe it was a real rainbow sheep (http://www.blog.chezbriscoe.com/archives/images/2005_05_21/email/052105_rainbow_sheep.jpg)? Or perhaps they just had lots of different-coloured (http://www.worth1000.com/entries/115000/115306KpRO_w.jpg) ones?

I was admonished recently for using the word blackboard instead of chalkboard. I insisted it was a blackboard, but this clown wouldn't give in. Now I make a point of calling the things blackboards - especially the green ones. :lol:

What a pretty sheep - wonder if they ever got the colours out or did she stay like that. Couldn't make the other link work?

Have you tried singing Baa Baa rainbow sheep? It just doesn't work - rhythm is all wrong. These children will be permanently musically damaged, they will never be able to compose or write verse. Somebody should sue.

DrSzin
07-Mar-06, 17:24
What a pretty sheep - wonder if they ever got the colours out or did she stay like that. Couldn't make the other link work?Both links work fine for me. :confused:

Have you tried singing Baa Baa rainbow sheep? It just doesn't work - rhythm is all wrong. These children will be permanently musically damaged, they will never be able to compose or write verse. Somebody should sue.It could be changed to "Baa baa bland sheep".

To get back to my earlier rant...

If a blackboard becomes a chalkboard, what does a whiteboard become?

scotsboy
07-Mar-06, 17:26
Usually a mess, as people never use the correct markers :)

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 17:30
The "don't use permanent markers" board?

rich
07-Mar-06, 17:46
A lot of posters are talking about the rainbow approach as if it was a crock. Well, I don't know about that. I am not certain to what extent a black sheep may be insulted or humiliated by the term. But we should err on the side of caution. I am acutely aware of times rushing hands and all the other intimations of mortality that come crowding in once past age 50.
I know that I will meet my maker eventually. Together we will go over the record of my life - a lot like those painful interviews we have with the banker when we realize that retirement is not an option - except in this case the retirement is permanent (barring some sort of reincarnation scheme) - anyway you get my drift I hope.
And in the course of this interview comes the question - HOW HAVE YOU TREATED THE OTHER CREATURES IN MY CREATION?
"Um...er...just fine I think. I would even say my record is exemplary"
Then, just behind GOD'S shoulder comes a reproachful "Baaaaa!"
And there is a sheep. Black as coal. Black affronted. A black mark on my prospects for eternity.
So I don't know about you but I am being very courteous whenever I find I must have dealings with sheep. And I would advise the rest of you scorners and mockers not to tempt fate by making coarse remarks about any animal's skin pigmentation....

landmarker
07-Mar-06, 18:58
this all relates to p.c. gone mad of course. The rhyme is about early taxation isn't it?

Try to think though of all the perjorative terms which a pre-fixed 'black' and you sense a wider reason for it. Dark & light, good & evil. This did not relate to skin colour and to suggest the same is ridiculous.

Accident blackspot
The black arts.
A black mark.
Blackguard.
Black Magic.

any more anyone? Surely the sheep are the least of the p.c. brigade's worries.

Abdullah
07-Mar-06, 19:27
black affronted
black forest gatteau
black and tan......Mmmmm
black eye
black hole
black death
in the black

landmarker
07-Mar-06, 21:15
...boys from the blackstuff
'blacking' practices in trade union/indistrial disputes
blackmail
blackout

connieb19
07-Mar-06, 21:23
Blackberry
Blackbird
blackjack
Blackcurrant
Blackhead
Black Beauty
Blacksmith
Blackmail

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 22:36
Blackened is the air

wickerinca
08-Mar-06, 03:20
We have a friend called John Blackey.........do we have to make him change his name or will we just shoot him as he must be a blot on the pc nutters landscape. BTW he is non-black.:mad:

2little2late
08-Mar-06, 13:16
When parliament re-opens after the summer recess will they change the name of Blackrod?

Errogie
20-Mar-06, 23:55
You are never further than 3 feet from a rat: there are some stories that resurface time and time again with only minor alterations. Has anyone else seen this week's Private Eye?

This tale first surfaced in February 1996 when the Daily Mail declared that "loony left wing councillors" had banned children at Hackney play groups from singing the ryhme. It was not true then either.
Nor was it true in October of that year when the Daily Mail claimd play leaders on a Hackney council racism awareness course had been told to stamp out the song; nor in 1987 when Islington council went o court to stop an SDP poliltocal broadcast which falsely claimed they had imposed a ban; nor in 2000 when various papers relocated it to Birmingham; and nor in 2005 when the Mail on Sunday moved it all the way up to Aberdeen
For the record, the charity Parents and Children together, which runs the two play groups at the centre of last week's outbreak, told the Press Associtation that "children at the two family centres sing a variety of descriptive words in the nursery rhyme to turn the song into an action rhyme. They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black, and white sheep etc" Curiously this explanation went unreported by any of the national newspapers.