PDA

View Full Version : Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

gleeber
30-Oct-03, 22:49
The UK government has just voted to de-classify cannabis from Class B drug to a Class C drug. Im not sure that means in the short term, but undoubtably in the long term its a step to legislation of all drugs.
Legislation means control!
Who would you rather controlled the drug scene, the Government or the Mafia?

jjc
31-Oct-03, 00:38
Im not sure that means in the short term, but undoubtably in the long term its a step to legislation of all drugs.Sorry, Gleeber, but (assuming, by the tone of your other comments, that you mean legalisation rather than legislation) your logic just isn't sound.

Simply because the government have voted to downgrade/reclassify (note: it still has a classification and therefore has not been declassified) cannabis it does not automatically follow that they will now (or ever) legalise cannabis, heroin, ecstasy, cocaine, or any other substance currently classified as illegal.

Legislation means control!Tell that to the 46,000 Britons who die each year due to smoking. No? How about the 33,000 Britons who die as a result of alcohol?

If legalisation (again, assuming you mean legalisation as the drugs are already the subject of legislation) truly means control then why does the NHS have to spend so much to combat the effects of these two legalised drugs? Why does so much get spent on advertising and helplines to try to get people off them? Why is an estimated 1 person in every 13 dependent to some degree on alcohol?

Legalisation gives out a very dangerous message: that these drugs are safe to use. That simply is not the case.

Let's not be naïve, Gleeber. These drugs are not illegal because the government wants to spoil your fun. They are not illegal because the names of all the drugs were written down, put in a hat, and drawn at random into the three categories. They are illegal because they are harmful. They are harmful in the short term and they are harmful in the long term. In some cases we don't even know the full implications for the long-term health of users. There is mounting evidence that regular use of ecstasy might cause long-term brain damage.

If you really think drugs are harmless just look at Ozzy Osbourne. You think he was born that way??? :eek:

We legalised (or, rather, failed to criminalize) cigarettes and alcohol before the full implications of their use was fully understood. We are now paying the price and will probably never be free of the problems they cause. Would you make the same mistake with all other drugs?

Who would you rather controlled the drug scene, the Government or the Mafia?Obviously the government… but I think we hold different opinions on the definition of 'controlling the drug scene'. I think that the government should increase the profile of the war on drugs, not throw the gates open and welcome the dealers into the light.

Personally, I'd rather the government imposed stiffer punishments on those dealing drugs. Even the increase in the maximum sentence for dealing class B and C drugs from 5 to 14 years (which was bundled in with this reclassification of cannabis, but somehow you failed to mention) doesn't go far enough – I dream of the day when drug dealing is as heinous a crime as paedophilia. As for dealing to kids – that should be automatic life imprisonment without parole.

Also, they should stop tiptoeing around the users.

It seems, at the moment, as though drug use has become almost accepted amongst society and that is just wrong. This is a case of supply and demand. Go after the dealers and you cut the supply. That's great, and the more it is done the better. But go after the users and you cut the demand. Let's bring drug use back into the position where it is unacceptable and, you never know, it might just help to control the situation.

[mad]

golach
31-Oct-03, 00:43
Gleeber, NO WAY, this is a cost cutting exercise by the Government, no DRUGS should be legalised in any way, all the Government want to do is cut the work and time and staff of the all the drug enforcement agencies, the Police, the Customs, and all the other agencies that control drugs , The Government and I mean the Civil Servants want to cut the cost of all these departments, not to decriminalise the use of drugs would mean anarchy in the UK, I dont want the UK to be a pinko country like the Netherlands, I have been down that road, did not like it, so if you want to smoke Cannabis as far as I am concerned you are a CRIM. and should suffer the concecuences.
Golach

Colin Manson
31-Oct-03, 04:55
Who would you rather controlled the drug scene, the Government or the Mafia?

Aren't they one and the same :p

gleeber
01-Nov-03, 10:49
As usual the subject of drugs in our societies brings emotions an resonal prejudices firmly to the surface. I take exception to the thinly veiled comments from golach that I may use drugs and jjcs patronising comments suggesting that i may not be aware of the dangers of drugs. Neither are correct! I am not an advocate of legalising all drugs, neither do I support the tried and failed system of prohibition.
I hate drugs! I hate the effect they have on unsuspecting parents, their children, and mostly I hate the effect they used to have on me.
The drug culture is a slimy, dangerous and uncontrolled section of our society, fed by criminal gangs and worldwide terrorist groups whether we are prepared to accept it or not.
Until now, prohibition has swept the cause (drugs) under the carpet. I believe something has to change if we are to stop the link between those criminal gangs, terrorists and our kids and crime on our streets.
Im not stupid enough to suggest I have the answer, but until unprejudiced and risk taking people are allowed to find a middle ground, the extremists on both sides will continue to hold the hearts and minds of our population.
Meanwhile, the do-gooders sit in the pub, or at home with a nice glass of red and condemn the children of their neighbours.

golach
01-Nov-03, 14:12
Gleeber,
I apologise if you thought I was having a go at you, I wasn't, I was generalising and I meant anybody that uses Cannabis or any other narcotic substance be it Class A,B or C
is commiting a crime
Golach

Anonymous
01-Nov-03, 17:48
:evil Don't worry about a thing Tony Bush will tax it soon, then no only the chossen few will be able to aford it.
Thats his plan, and any how we will all be as high as a kite soon when them ships come sailling in, or some nutter from North Corea say's naff of to Mr George Blair. :evil :evil :evil [lol] [lol] :Razz