PDA

View Full Version : And Streeeeetch

porshiepoo
18-May-09, 18:48
Right I've just started regular sessions on my treadmill with the aim at managing some kind of Mini marathon in the future.
I started with the jog 1 min, walk 2 and repeat for apprx 30 mins. I've now hit the Jog 3 mins, walk 2 for approx 30 mins. Slow going and may not hold my attention for long but at the moment I'm determined that it's best to start like this rather than just hit the treamill and see how long I can run for before collapsing (which is my past attempts).
However, I'm having a problem with my calf muscles and wondered if anyone could help. I have Fibromyalgia so I'm particularly aware of any joint aches and pains and I warm up first by walking on the treadmill, increasing the walking speed gradually over 5 mins.
I always believed that it's best not to stretch cold muscles so figured the 5 min walk would be sufficient warm up before jogging, however when I do jog I'm noticing a tightness in my calf muscles that is quite uncomfortable.
Is this normal or should I be stretching those cold muscles?

Tristan
18-May-09, 22:03
Dynamic warmup is now recomended instead of stretching. Having said that you can warn up and then stretch a bit to get looser. Better to stretch well afterwards. You should be stretching your whole body especially your whole leg hips, calves, thighs (quads and hamstrings) and butt.That old stretch where it looks like you are holding up a wall is always good. Another good stretch is going into a full squat with your hand up against a wall. Make sure your heals are flat (better not to wear shoes for this). This is great for stretching out your whole posterior chain including your lower back.