PDA

View Full Version : Google UK default

daviddd
06-Mar-06, 23:19
Does anyone know how to get Google to default to the 'pages from the UK' radio button rather than the 'Web' search that is usually US and often irrelevant? I can't see a way in the 'preferences' bit.

badger
07-Mar-06, 16:50
I'd like to know the answer to this as well as there just doesn't seem to be any way of changing it and it's really annoying. May we should try their forum?

Abdullah
07-Mar-06, 17:08
http://www.googleguide.com/

badger
07-Mar-06, 19:12
http://www.googleguide.com/

Thanks Abdullah but I still can't find the answer to the question, despite spending some time on this site looking. It doesn't have a search box for the site which is a bit annoying. Did you actually find the answer? If so where? This is so frustrating :confused:

Abdullah
07-Mar-06, 19:21
No, sorry badger, I didn't look through the site just thought it may have been helpful to you.
Regarding a search the only advice I can give is if you use firefox then you can press f3 it brings up a search function at the bottom of page where you can type in a word and any references to the word are highlighted on the page.
Hope this may help.

regards....abdullah

badger
07-Mar-06, 19:31
I normally use IE6 and use the Edit - find function but that doesn't help with restricting sites found. It's just so annoying that Google gives the choice of the web or UK but the default is set to the web and there seems no way of changing it. I've spent ages looking on the site and can't believe there isn't a demand for this.

RIR
07-Mar-06, 19:40
You can't. ".com"and ".co.uk" searches produce the same results. You can go into Google>Preferences and select "english only". That will involve placing a "cookie" on your PC.

Cheers

Ian.

DrSzin
07-Mar-06, 20:02
Click on the link below, then add it to your Favorites if you're using IE, or to your Bookmarks if you're using Firefox.

Google UK (http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB)

I don't know how to do this automatically from the Google Toolbar or the Firefox Search Bar.

badger
07-Mar-06, 20:04
It's not what you enter that's the problem - it's the fact that Google UK has a choice between searching the web or searching UK pages only. The default is for the web to be checked whereas I would like it to be UK, as I'm sure would many others including daviddd. I've emailed them now with a request so let's see what happens [disgust]

DrSzin
07-Mar-06, 20:11
It's not what you enter that's the problem - it's the fact that Google UK has a choice between searching the web or searching UK pages only. The default is for the web to be checked whereas I would like it to be UK, as I'm sure would many others including daviddd. I've emailed them now with a request so let's see what happens [disgust]Look at the radio buttons on the page that pops up when you click on my link.

badger
07-Mar-06, 20:39
Look at the radio buttons on the page that pops up when you click on my link.

Yes sorry about that. I got interrupted in my last post so hadn't seen yours when I posted it and was replying to RIR. Couldn't remember what those things were called - radio buttons! (having a senior moment :( ). That's pretty clever - I've added it to my favourites and will have to edit my home page now, which is a flat file with my most used links on it. Still think Google should make it easier to change the default - it should be in preferences.

Thanks Doc - you can be pretty useful.

Niall Fernie
08-Mar-06, 10:36
If you're building your own "home" page, why not look at putting a google search box on the page with the "radio button" value set to uk pages only.

http://www.google.co.uk/searchcode.html

You would have to add the "uk pages only" code from the main google page :

<input type=hidden name=meta value="cr=countryUK|countryGB">

badger
08-Mar-06, 11:21
If you're building your own "home" page, why not look at putting a google search box on the page with the "radio button" value set to uk pages only.

http://www.google.co.uk/searchcode.html

You would have to add the "uk pages only" code from the main google page :

<input type=hidden name=meta value="cr=countryUK|countryGB">

Thanks Niall. Actually that's what I've done with the link DrSzin sent - looks awful messy on my nice homepage because I haven't learnt how to make a neat link out of a long one but at least it works. Have a feeling that's in your FAQs somewhere so must have a look. I've emailed the query to Google though because I do think it should be an option in Preferences which they could do for every country version.

daviddd
16-Mar-06, 22:36
thanks for your help everyone, however what I want to do is create a direct link in the bottom taskbar (one click = Google (UK)). I still can't seem to do this. Any ideas?!

badger
17-Mar-06, 12:23
If you're using IE you can open the page with the UK radio button checked by using DrSzin's link then just drag the icon from the address bar up to the Links bar.