PDA

View Full Version : volunteer work abroad

denise
17-May-09, 19:50
hi there, as iv'e just had a big birthday pass recently i have been thinking about doing some volunteer work abroad, help in an orphanage, build a school etc.
was wondering if any orgers. out there has done oe ken somenone who has done something along the same lines.
cheers

joxville
19-May-09, 16:44
I don't know anyone personally who has done this kind of work but I sponsor a Doctor, through VSO, that goes to third world countries to help educate the people and Doctors, Nurses etc. about Aids/HIV. Because it costs so much to send people abroad it helps if the volunteer can recruit people locally to raise funds to enable them to go abroad. However, it's not just medically trained volunteers they send abroad, there are all sorts of skilled people required so for anyone interested click on the link to learn more, or if you wish to donate.

http://www.vso.org.uk/

poppett
19-May-09, 19:22
My husband`s urologist in Edinburgh goes up the Amazon on healthcare boats Amazon Hope 1 and 2 on a regular basis. If you google "The Vine Trust" it gives you all the information you require about their work both on boats and helping the street children.

alex
19-May-09, 20:44
You could also try http://earthwatch.org for shorter holiday type volunteer efforts.

celtic lass
20-May-09, 12:32
hi there, as iv'e just had a big birthday pass recently i have been thinking about doing some volunteer work abroad, help in an orphanage, build a school etc.
was wondering if any orgers. out there has done oe ken somenone who has done something along the same lines.
cheers
My daughter went to CAMP AMERICA in an underprivlege camp in new york and she loved it.It made her look at live at lot diffrent.The kids came from the streets of new york and the camp was basic and you had to try and teach them life skills.She would go back in a flash but it was all summer and now she has a good job but she always says she will go back one day and she always says the kids in this country should try walking in thoose kids shoes one day.She got a lot out of that experience.

denise
22-May-09, 20:28
thanks for your input, I send away for a volunteering booklet more than a fortnight ago but i guess it's been lost in the post What a surprise you say). Anyway I have logged all the web pages onto my favourites page, so I can gather more information. I also think there will be a volunteer experience web page out there, it's just finding it.
Thanks again denise