PDA

View Full Version : Faithful to the end

porshiepoo
17-May-09, 18:29
There has been many posts of late referencing the cruelness towards dogs and animals in this country. The owner that tied up the poor dog to a fence and then left it to die slowly from starvation is just the tip of the iceberg.
With so much cruelty already needing addressing in our own country I feel a tad awful trying to draw attention to the animals of Greece and it's Islands. However, many of us holiday on these Islands, many of us have seen neglect and cruelty there and have not known what to do, so I'd like to draw attention in any way I can to the Greek Animal Rescue.

GAR is an organisation that is seriously dedicated to saving and rescuing neglected and abused animals in Greece and campaigning to enforce anti - cruelty laws, the prevention of mass poisoning amongst many other crimes.
Once the animals are rescued (This organisation actively saves these animals, doesn't just wait for them to arrive), they are treated by vets, rehabilitated and re-homed worldwide.

Any animal cruelty is heinous however, the cruelty that occurs on the streets and back roads of a country that many of us holiday on goes beyond anything even I have seen.
Poisoning is common place, the dogs are poisoned and left to die slow deaths on the streets.
Dogs especially are tied on small chains with no access to food, often water and/or shelter from the heat.
Dogs have been taken to the sea by their owners and had a rock tied to their neck and left to drown.
Starvation is commonplace.
Hunting dogs no longer of use are hung.

I really cannot mention the cruel and barbaric things that are metered out onto animals in Greece and its Islands - they're just too cruel.
The government of Greece really aren't concerned about what is happening. In the run up to the 2004 Olympics, the government 'dealt' with it's stray dog/cat population by arming its residents with free poison.
GAR offer petitions and email addresses where everyone and anyone can contact the relevant bodies of Greece to declare their disgust at the way animals are treated. It does work as they have had some headway.

The following is a poem from the back of the current GAR Newsletter, once you've read it and wiped your eyes why not check out the GAR website.

Faithful to the end.

A dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun.
Too faithful to leave, too frightened to run.
He's been here for days now with nothing to do
But sit by the road, waiting for you.
He can't understand why you left him that day.
He thought you and he were stopping to play.
He's sure you'll come back, and that's why he stays.
How long will he suffer? How many more days?
His legs have grown weak, his throat's parched and dry.
He's sick now from hunger and falls, with a sigh.
He lays down his head and closes his eyes,
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.

www.greekanimalrescue.com (http://www.greekanimalrescue.com)

I should just warn that if you visit the website, alot of the stories are distressing to read and the link to the petition has a disturbing image to it. Please try to sign the petition though, this UK based charity needs as much help as it can get.

unicorn
17-May-09, 19:15
The stories here are absolutely horrendous, what in gods name have these poor animals ever done to decerve such terrible cruelty. It makes me feel sick to my stomach to read these stories.

porshiepoo
17-May-09, 21:23
I know. I think the cruelty in this country is bad enough but what happens over there on a daily ... no, hourly, basis is just barbaric.
There seems to be no compassion toward animal life whatsoever and it's such a 'normal, everyday' sight that it's become acceptable to those that live there.
GAR get alot of abuse as the Greeks don't like the fact that those dogs that are rescued are re-homed abroad. And why? Because they don't want anyone to know of the scale of abuse and neglect in that country.

GAR have saved so many souls now and they've done it by actively rescueing the dogs. Many animals are bought into them but they will respond to accusations of abuse or cruelty or neglect and more often than not they manage to get the owners to relinquish the animal over to them.

If you check out their Facebook page, be warned, some of the images are very distressing.

unicorn
17-May-09, 22:05
I am not on facebook. There is actually a complete disregard for animals in so many countries, they cannot understand why we keep pets in our houses.
I cannot for the life of me though fathom out how keeping them for a specific purpose can lead to the complete disregard for their feelings or basic rights to be treated in a humane way.
The society that see's nothing wrong with this type of barbaric behaviour should as a whole hang it's head in shame, absolutely appauling.

Margaret M.
17-May-09, 22:07
I am so thankful that I have lived in countries where cruelty to animals is not the norm. I cannot imagine how an animal lover in some of these places deals with what goes on around them. Just heartbreaking.

Liz
17-May-09, 22:57
This absolutely sickening and heartbreaking.

What kind of people can carry out such atrocities?

Thank God for good people like GAR.

teenybash
18-May-09, 23:26
Although there are acts of cruelty deliberately carried out in this county it is nothing to what goes on around the world..............what can one say in relation to the evil callousness that resides within the souls of the human race...............I am speechless.:(