PDA

View Full Version : Cavity Wall Insulation

Caoran
06-Mar-06, 21:04
Has anyone had this done to their home, and if so, at what cost, and has there been any benefits?

Valerie Campbell
06-Mar-06, 21:19
Whatever you do, don't take up Scottish Gas's offer of getting it done. They subcontract to Miller Pattison who are anti-north!. We took up the offer in February 2005 and are still waiting for it to be done. The offer stated that a 3 bed house could be done for £175 under a government assisted scheme. Shop around and see who charges what. Just make sure they come up to Caithness in the first instance...

Caoran
10-Mar-06, 22:32
Thanks for the warning Valerie, It was a flyer from Scottish Gas that got me thinking about it.

kenimac1
10-Mar-06, 22:45
Had it done to an exposed property in Yorkshire many years ago and noticed the difference straight away. Much more comfortable and easily heated. You need to be careful about the type of construction and the type of insulation used though. Not all compatible. No idea of the cost now but the figure quoted of less than £200 sounds way to low to be of any quality.

Fran
11-Mar-06, 00:03
Had cavity wall insulation done to my house which made a tremendous change...much warmer and cheaper to heat. i would highly recommend it, but cant recommend anyone to do it.

Fran
11-Mar-06, 00:05
i had cavity wall insulation done and it made such a difference, much warmer and cheaper to heat.

tillygirl
14-Mar-06, 12:29
I had that problem too Valerie. Would not touch Scottish Gas's offer. Am still looking to get it done but by someone else. Heard Scottish and Southern do it, even if you are not a customer. Maybe worth a wee look.

Valerie Campbell
12-Apr-06, 11:14
I know this is an old thread but I have news re cavity wall insulation. This morning, after my 14 month wait, much haggling, and finally getting in touch with Jamie Stone, it's been done! I now hope to save a wee bit of money on my Calor bills.

Tristan
12-Apr-06, 11:43
Here is a site that may help find different grants and offers that are available.

http://www.est.org.uk/myhome/gid/index.cfm