PDA

View Full Version : The Spiderwick Chronicles...

percy toboggan
17-May-09, 07:51
fairly routine hobgoblin and ogre flick for kids.
I'd say this wa sunsuitable for very young children - maybe a well adjusted not afraid of the dark six year old would be okay.

When will they make a good film for children that does not involve special effects? This one, as I say was routine but well made. Freddie Highmore plays two roles as very different twin brothers. Along with their older sister (a good fencer) and 'Mom' who somewhat predictably is estranged from 'Dad' they move into a huge, rambling old house that very quickly begins to reveal its secrets. They are legion.

An old book is soon found along with a warning 'not to open' it. Of course the warning is ignored and all manner of mayhem issues forth.

A good cameo by an almost unrecognisable Nick Nolte as the more genteel side of an 'ogre'.

Five out of ten.

My Grandaughter gave it a ridiculously over the top ten! though this may have had somehting to do with her soon to be 'step-brother' awarding it nine - they are 'competitive'. I have told her I'll ask her again next week!Tens should not be given freely.:roll::D

Londoner
17-May-09, 19:51
Great film a good all round family movie, had my kids wanting more from it, hope to see on bluray soon so i can relive my big screen experiance at home,

Londoner

PS what's peoples thoughts on inkheart,

Watched it last night on bluray and was unsure if i liked it or not, may have to watch again to determine my own opinion of it, although kids thought it was brill few slow moment in it that got them a bit restless.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-May-09, 21:02
fairly routine hobgoblin and ogre flick for kids.
I'd say this wa sunsuitable for very young children - maybe a well adjusted not afraid of the dark six year old would be okay.

When will they make a good film for children that does not involve special effects? This one, as I say was routine but well made. Freddie Highmore plays two roles as very different twin brothers. Along with their older sister (a good fencer) and 'Mom' who somewhat predictably is estranged from 'Dad' they move into a huge, rambling old house that very quickly begins to reveal its secrets. They are legion.

An old book is soon found along with a warning 'not to open' it. Of course the warning is ignored and all manner of mayhem issues forth.

A good cameo by an almost unrecognisable Nick Nolte as the more genteel side of an 'ogre'.

Five out of ten.

My Grandaughter gave it a ridiculously over the top ten! though this may have had somehting to do with her soon to be 'step-brother' awarding it nine - they are 'competitive'. I have told her I'll ask her again next week!Tens should not be given freely.:roll::D

Percy,they have made some crackin kiddie films without special effects,'The Swallows and the Amazons' and 'The Wind and the Willows'.Most of the early,early Disney films,no special effects just the mastery of artists.:D

percy toboggan
18-May-09, 08:55
Percy,they have made some crackin kiddie films without special effects,'The Swallows and the Amazons' and 'The Wind and the Willows'.Most of the early,early Disney films,no special effects just the mastery of artists.:D

I was thinking more along the lines of a totally straight, dialogue driven non-animated film that can hold a child's attention. Children need an injection of reality sometimes and all this escapism into worlds of goblins and mini-monsters is all very well but where are the alternatives?

kitty kat
22-May-09, 23:54
me and the 8 year old really enjoyed this, its like a newer labyrinth you can have to much reality kids these days worry about to much so why not have an hour or so off and just sit back and believe in goblins and fairies ?

ett23
02-Jun-09, 20:28
I was shocked by the level of mild horror and violence in this film considering it's aimed at children. It made me jump a few times and I'm an adult!! :eek: No way are my kids seeing it!!! Glad we didn't sit down and watch it as a family - wisely decided to preview it before the kids got to watch it.... :roll: