PDA

View Full Version : Space & Time

scotsboy
06-Mar-06, 18:27
Having skimmed through the Science V Religion stuff in the previous posts I noticed that some people referenced the “incredible” ages of those key characters in the Bible managed to achieve. Now I have not thought this through and I am thinking out loud, but do you think it is possible that time was measured in a different way? We base our current time system on the rotation of the Earth – I am sure there is scientific evidence that the Earth’s rotation changes, albeit over very long periods of time – but hey, we are talking Creation here, and in fact the Earths rotation does (or has) changed direction over time……just a thought.

EDDIE
06-Mar-06, 18:49
I think u need to get out more lol

scotsboy
06-Mar-06, 18:58
You reckon I don't get out Eddie? You could be right......or you could be wrong..........lets assume I dont get out, what am I missing? What is it you think I need to see/do?

Saveman
06-Mar-06, 22:36
Having skimmed through the Science V Religion stuff in the previous posts I noticed that some people referenced the “incredible” ages of those key characters in the Bible managed to achieve. Now I have not thought this through and I am thinking out loud, but do you think it is possible that time was measured in a different way? We base our current time system on the rotation of the Earth – I am sure there is scientific evidence that the Earth’s rotation changes, albeit over very long periods of time – but hey, we are talking Creation here, and in fact the Earths rotation does (or has) changed direction over time……just a thought.

Hmmm.....interesting idea. I like Weeboyagees idea about the firmament over the earth making a difference to human lifespan

Whitewater
07-Mar-06, 00:53
Scotsboy, at the time the Bible was written the priests etc. were all working to Venus cycles, all important events were linked to them. Have you noticed how all periods of time in the bible are all quoted in forties i.e. 40 days for the flood, jesus had 40 days in the wilderness, Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years, and so it goes on. Multiples of forty are also used. Great events like the birth of Christ were linked to what was called the Shekinah, that is when Venus is conjuction with Mercury, this event, when viewed from the earth appeared as one great star.

Measurement of periods of time in this manner is interesting, it is said to have been developed by a people called simply "The Grooved Ware People" (from the grooved designs they etched on their clay pots) who were also responsible for various formations of standing stones, tunnel mounds etc. which extend all over Europe. Maes Howe in Orkney is one example of their structures. The winter and summer solstices were important to this people, Maes Howe was constructed as an observatory for this, as well as being the residence of the elite class of professional priests, and wise men.

But I digress, I do not know why the people in the bible achieved their incredible ages, but many historians are now looking into this, and it could perhaps be linked with the Venus cycles.

gleeber
07-Mar-06, 08:28
Shock horror, the bible doesnt fit in with modern mans ideas of personal responsibilty.
No problem my son, we will make it fit.

Saveman
07-Mar-06, 09:40
Shock horror, the bible doesnt fit in with modern mans ideas of personal responsibilty.

Anybody here think modern mans idea of personal responsibilty is half as good as it should be?

Rheghead
07-Mar-06, 12:50
Scotsboy, at the time the Bible was written the priests etc. were all working to Venus cycles, all important events were linked to them. Have you noticed how all periods of time in the bible are all quoted in forties i.e. 40 days for the flood, jesus had 40 days in the wilderness, Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years, and so it goes on. Multiples of forty are also used. Great events like the birth of Christ were linked to what was called the Shekinah, that is when Venus is conjuction with Mercury, this event, when viewed from the earth appeared as one great star.

Measurement of periods of time in this manner is interesting, it is said to have been developed by a people called simply "The Grooved Ware People" (from the grooved designs they etched on their clay pots) who were also responsible for various formations of standing stones, tunnel mounds etc. which extend all over Europe. Maes Howe in Orkney is one example of their structures. The winter and summer solstices were important to this people, Maes Howe was constructed as an observatory for this, as well as being the residence of the elite class of professional priests, and wise men.

But I digress, I do not know why the people in the bible achieved their incredible ages, but many historians are now looking into this, and it could perhaps be linked with the Venus cycles.

According to Lomas and Knight in their Uriel's Machine book, they claim that there is a passage in the Bible that clearly describes the building of a timepiece to measure accurately the timeperiods that you mention.

canuck
07-Mar-06, 15:10

You are absolutely spot on. The Bible does not fit with modern people's ideas of personal responsibilty. We live in a society very, very different from the one reflected in the Biblical narrative. I can assure you that it is a very real challenge to extract the truths of the text so as to make them functional for our way of life. The greatest danger is doing exactly what you say just "making it fit!", like taking a sledge hammer to the poor square peg you are trying to get into a smaller round hole.

The Bible is about relationships: the parts of God relating to one another, God relating to humans, humans relating to one another, humans relating to nature. Archeologists and sociologists who study these things have defined society by the way people relate in those societies. Where the focus is the group it is known as dyadic. This was the society type of the Bible. Where the focus of the group is the individual it is called individualism. We live in that kind of a society. In the long history of civilization our kind of society is quite rare. (There is a third category which emerges during times of extreme distress where survival is all, but we can put that aside for this discussion.)

Within the two societies there exist very different value systems. To extract the truth of a value within the dyadic community is difficult for us because we don't live in or really understand the relationships within which that value is upheld. Then to try to introduce it into our completely different relational system often means a lot gets lost in the translation. Add to it all that our society is changing at an unparalled change rate and we have pretty much chaos. (I'm not going down the chaos theory road.)

Gleeber, thank you for raising the issue. What you said needed to be said.