PDA

View Full Version : Train Graffiti

wkgeorge
16-May-09, 13:57
Thought the train looked smart, but is'nt the railway station beside the police station !!

Alice in Blunderland
16-May-09, 14:13
Yes I also thought it was quite a work of art.

Erm yes right under their noses but maybe they were out fighting crime ? :D

Connor.
16-May-09, 14:15
I think so, as ridiculous as it seems haha.

The train i must admit did look pretty good. It's a shame because there is many places up here that could be "tagged" that(only if talented artists did it, none of these high school kids attempts at drawing a mans genitals or calling someone a obscene word). I've seen alot of train art and it can be quite amazing. There is lots of youtube videos of people "tagging" and managing to do it before the train makes off for the next destination with great results.

Connor.
16-May-09, 14:16

Yeah, those kids walking down the street won't shout at themselves.

weeksider
16-May-09, 15:40
Yeah, Good art work on the train ,pity she was convicted for improving the colour of the scotrail train ,scotrail should reuse her to do rest of trains on north route as it brightens up the trains from the usual dull colour used on them

Alice in Blunderland
16-May-09, 16:05
Buses advertise on the side of them so why not trains ?

Train companies could maybe introduce a scheme where there is an area on the train for something like on the buses and charge / offer the artists to display their talents. :)

Amy-Winehouse
16-May-09, 17:15

Come on now, thats slanderous!!![lol] Fighting crime, Wick police , in the same sentence? Thats the spirit:)

Bobbin
16-May-09, 18:53
I just dont understand why she was only made to pay half the price of cleaning the train, why not the total price?

lynne duncan
16-May-09, 19:14
i looked amazing think she should be invited back to brighten up the town a bit more, also my nephew and some of his cronies a while back decided to do some "artwork" for which they saw reason and duly removed it under some adult supervsion, this wifie could show them how to do it a bitty better

Fluff
16-May-09, 19:17
Is it only art because we like the image? What about people who do not like that image etc. Surely to them it is unwelcome graffiti?

JAWS
17-May-09, 01:12
It's a silly idea which started on the New York Subway Trains decades ago and one which I thought had died out.

The pity is that many of the people who engage in that kind of behaviour are obviously quite talented and their artistry could well be put to good use in the right places.

I lived for many years (far too many years) in large city. The number of huge areas of hideous grey concrete slabs, often with rust stains from rebars showing through, were not only depressing but gave the place a look of neglect. Such places would have made an ideal place for the talented amongst the graffiti artists to display their skills and have brightened the place up for everybody’s benefit into the bargain.

That is, of course, making the assumption that the pleasure they get is from the artwork they produce rather than the fact that they get excitement from “doing something naughty” and getting away with it.
In that, I am definitely willing to at least attempt to give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they intend to keep on doing it, and it would appear many of them will, then lets make some use of it rather than them waste their talent and, in many cases, the rest of us having to pay the cost of removing their handiwork once it’s done.

Fran
17-May-09, 01:20
I thought it was very good.. why cant we have this sort of painting on the walls of the station like Invergordon has, and on derelect buildings, it would certainly brighten the place up. The old dominoes and the crooked old house opposite, in Wick , they would look nice if painted like the train.

JAWS
17-May-09, 01:39
Exactly the sort of eyesores which need cheering up which I was thinking of.

Bazeye
17-May-09, 11:58
Thought the train looked smart, but is'nt the railway station beside the police station !!

What train? Where? Any one enlighten me, any pics?

henry20
17-May-09, 12:07
What train? Where? Any one enlighten me, any pics?
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6601/Artist_spray-painted_train.html

wifie
17-May-09, 12:24
Thanks for posting H20! Shame it wasn't an Orger who took the pic tho - we might have got a better look at the art work! I do like this kind of stuff - don't know why - mibbe it is a throw back to the bubbly writing I did on my jotters at school! [lol]

Kevin Milkins
17-May-09, 12:24
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/6601/Artist_spray-painted_train.html

Thanks for that link henry20 as I was begining to think that I was the only one in Caithness that is well out of loop.:eek:

She has obviously has talent, but why waste it getting in bother with the law.:confused

katarina
17-May-09, 12:25
I thought it was an improvement on the dull self colour of a train too. but hadn't she painted over the windows? that was a bit daft! Otherwise i think it should have been left on. Saw many carraiges in france painted like that - very smart - I thought.

joxville
17-May-09, 12:31
I just dont understand why she was only made to pay half the price of cleaning the train, why not the total price?

Maybe because it's never been cleaned before so half the dirt was Scotrails responsibilty. [lol]

kmahon2001
17-May-09, 12:39
Yeah, Good art work on the train ,pity she was convicted for improving the colour of the scotrail train ,scotrail should reuse her to do rest of trains on north route as it brightens up the trains from the usual dull colour used on them

Whether you like the artwork or not, she did not have the permission of the train's owner to "decorate" it and so it is vandalism. How would it be if she decided to decorate cars or houses in this way, without getting the approval of the owners?

I lived in London and had to commute to work on trains for 10 years. The number of trains that were vandalised in this way was ridiculous. If you try sitting in a train that's been vandalised like this, it's not pleasant. These people spray paint all over the windows as well as the main body of the train and it cuts out all the natural light inside.:mad:

Allowing this kind of thing will only encourage other, less artistically talented, people to scrawl "AB loves CD" (or even worse messages) all over the trains, including the insides of the trains, or all over buildings, bridges, historical monuments etc. In fact anywhere there's enough room to leave their (sometimes downright obscene and offensive) messages would be covered in scrawl.

This is one thing I've noticed since moving up here - the almost complete lack of grafitti (except in the traditional places such as public loos;)) and it is not something we need to start encouraging, however artistic. Imagine, for a start, the impact on tourism of having grafitti dawbed all over Thurso and Wick. We need to make sure that the message goes out to all would-be "artists" that grafitti on property, vehicles, or anything else on view to the public, will not be tolerated. This is a truly beautiful county up here and we should keep it that way.

JAWS
17-May-09, 21:40
I agree, kmahon2001. I wonder if those who think such behaviour is acceptable would feel the same if they woke up one morning to find somebody had "improved" the look of their car or the complete front of their home with such art work?

kmahon2001
18-May-09, 10:28
Is it only art because we like the image? What about people who do not like that image etc. Surely to them it is unwelcome graffiti?

Quite true Fluff. Images like this will always evoke strong feelings in people because they're so bold and bright. Many people will like them, but many others will hate them. The train's normal colour may be boring to some, but at least it won't be completely disgusting to anyone. Trains are practical items designed for a specific job and as such they may not be the most visually stimulating things in the world, but so long as they look clean and well maintained, then that's all that should be required of their appearance. The main thing is whether they do their job safely and efficiently.

lynne duncan
18-May-09, 15:13
agree if it was your property but if it was a place where it had been agreed then it would surely brighten up an area, especially some of the areas around here

scorrie
18-May-09, 15:29
Maybe because it's never been cleaned before so half the dirt was Scotrails responsibilty. [lol]

I heard Scotrail framed the lassie in order to get a cut-price clean up!!