PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitors???

Gizmo
14-May-09, 19:30
I need some advice and hope that some you the Orgers may be able to help.

I'm looking at several different Heart Rate Monitors for using in the gym and wondered if any Orgers had any experience of this particular model, the Oregon SE11, it's unique feature over any other HRM is that it has a vibrating alarm, and seeing as i do all my gym training with my Mp3 player this HRM looks like it will suit my needs...but!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-SE211-Vibra-Trainer-Monitor/dp/B000G8OX1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1242155306&sr=8-1

I can't find any other positive reviews for this model other than the one in that link, i have found about 3 negative reviews but they only seemed to focus on battery life and weren't really in depth reviews, any Orgers used this model?

Feel free to leave a comment on the HRM that you use as there are other models that i am considering as well, mainly the Garmin Forerunner 50 and the Polar FS2C, no point commenting on higher priced HRM's though, i have very limited funds and not looking to spend any more than £50

Cheers

ashaw1
15-May-09, 09:45
I found when i was looking for my heart rate monitor that you have to be very careful and read everything. The annoying thing that i found out is that most of them have to be connected in some way to a belt that you wear around your chest, like the one you are looking at. I really didn't like this idea at all!

I ended up going for a Roger Black monitor which is simply a watch with a metal pad on the back which stays in contact with your wrist, much easier. I got mine from Argos, can't remember how much but can't imagine i paid over £50 for it!

percy toboggan
15-May-09, 10:32
I simply take my own pulse regularly.
This caused some consternation in hospital recently when a nurse had 'a pop' at me for doing so.

I wasn't in much of a mood to argue - but did my best.

By checking my own pulse on a regular basis I immediately realised something was not right when the rate became erratic and irregular. It's usually steady and averages around 70bpm when resting....60 in kip. Although this has still not settled down fully it's slowing as the weeks pass by.

I understand a resting heart rate of 70 bpm is said to be a desirable thing in some circles.

"But everyone is different" said Nurse.....
"I only do my own" said Perce.

Gizmo
15-May-09, 10:34
I found when i was looking for my heart rate monitor that you have to be very careful and read everything. The annoying thing that i found out is that most of them have to be connected in some way to a belt that you wear around your chest, like the one you are looking at. I really didn't like this idea at all!

I ended up going for a Roger Black monitor which is simply a watch with a metal pad on the back which stays in contact with your wrist, much easier. I got mine from Argos, can't remember how much but can't imagine i paid over £50 for it!

Yeah, the chest belt type is what i'm after, i have read many thngs that say those heart rate watches with the metal pad are not very accurate at all, i've worn a chest belt in the past and they're perfectly comfortable, the Gym in Wick used to have them to use with the cardio equipment, but they're all broken these days.

rich
15-May-09, 14:39
This may be helpful.

http://walking.about.com/cs/heartratemonitor/bb/bybhrm.htm

A_Usher
15-May-09, 15:33
The pulse reading watch types are very inaccurate, and a lot of factors can influence them such as conductance, sweat etc. HRM such as the the brand i use (Polar) and tried and tested and accurate to 1 heart beat. I use the RS800cx for training and work with patients. I find the Polar monitors very comfortable to work with, highly accurate and i can syn with the polar trainer software to measure maximum heart rate, etc.

My training approach now is centred round HRM training and bodyweight training, using the stabilisations, strength and power OPT model. If anyone want HRM info let me know. If you want an accurate measure use a trusted brand with chest strap, otherwise its not going to be very accurate.

Andrew.