PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland finds the origin of life

rich
14-May-09, 15:04
About the only thing missing from Caithness is a Nobel Prize winner.
Now we could have one! So eat your hearts out fundamentalist Christians.
Here is Dr. Sutherland!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/science/14rna.html?pagewanted=2&ref=science

woofit
14-May-09, 16:23
Did you read the rest of the article? Incidentally, it takes more than one scientist's 'proposal' and associated supposition to make something a universal truth!

You do not have to be a genius to be able to read an article and pick out that your bold title 'sutherland finds the origin of life' is inherently flawed!

The article states the following... "He has solved a problem that for 20 years has thwarted researchers trying to understand the origin of life — how the building blocks of RNA, called nucleotides, could have spontaneously assembled themselves in the conditions of the primitive earth. The discovery, if correct".....

Enough said! This is based on another example of media misrepresentation, trying to make something out of very little, based on what sounds like (and I do not have access to the original research paper to comment further) shoddy science.

So is it you....Richard Sutherland, that is the Dr Sutherland? I suspect not :roll: However, I'm all for someone from Caithness winning the Nobel Prize. I'd be willing to lay a substantial wager on the fact that it won't be on finding the origin of life though.

You might also want to be careful when singling out various religions...as many could take offense.

scorrie
14-May-09, 17:27
So is it you....Richard Sutherland, that is the Dr Sutherland? I suspect not :roll:

Unless he has changed his name to John D Sutherland and moved to Manchester University, I would say not!!

The first page of the article tells us Dr Sutherland is English.

Caithness? Nobel Prize? Err, is there a Jackanory section on the Org?

joxville
14-May-09, 18:43
Whoooooooooosh!!!!!!! No, it hasn't gone over my head-that's the speed of me leaving this much ado about nothing thread.:roll:

annthracks
15-May-09, 18:09
You might also want to be careful when singling out various religions...as many could take offense.

Aye, especially yon fundies.