PDA

View Full Version : Stolen kids bike !!!!!

manloveswife
13-May-09, 17:02
Well, gutted, :( The boys bike was stolen today from the top of the Achscrabster Road where it meets the Thurso - Shebster road.
Not only was it his christmas present this year, he rides it the mile from our house to the top of the lane in all weathers to catch the school bus.

Was a blue adult sized bike, bought from Tesco online, not worth a fortune so wouldn't expect some toerag to take it away, its there every school day and pretty much obvious why.

So, if anyone has any information on the theft we would really appreciate you letting us know, we already know a man in a silver grey car was seen loading something into the back at the spot where it was left between 12 and 1 oclock today ( Weds 13th May). [disgust]

Anyway, just in case they read the boards we would personally like to thank the scum bag that has sunk low enough to take a young boys means of transport, and cause him to now walk through all weather to catch the bus..................... I believe in karma, and if you get away with such a foul trick I just hope it comes back tenfold.

To the thoughtless person who took it, if you do read this, why not do the decent thing and put it back.

So, to everyone else, thank you for reading this, if you do have any info we would appreciate it.

Many Thanks..

Kevin Milkins
13-May-09, 18:25
I feel angry just reading that because one of the charms of living in Caithness is people tend to leave alone what does not belong to them.

I have an old bike for free if you stuck that you are welcome to and I live in Wick. I hope you get yours returned.

manloveswife
13-May-09, 18:48
Thanks for the kind words Kevin,
You are absolutely right about the charms of Caithness, a wonderful place spoilt only by a few... which makes it better than most places you could live.

Thank you for the offer of a bike, its much appreciated although I'm sure we will sort the boy out one way or another. Still hoping to catch up with the old one though, probably wishful thinking :~(

Absolut1
13-May-09, 19:09
Maybe someone thought it had been dumped there for the rubbish collection.

Have you called the police to see if someone has handed it in as lost property??

katarina
13-May-09, 19:11
my grandson's bike was also stolen from his garden in Wick. Bikes are one of the few things that get pinched in Caithness. Always keep them locked.

manloveswife
13-May-09, 19:39
Thanks for the replies,
It wouldn't have been mistaken for refuse, and it certainly has not been taken to the police to be handed in, they are involved now but we still are not holding out much hope.

Definately a simple case of someone taking what they knew they should not.

skinnydog
13-May-09, 21:01
Will keep a close eye on any cyclists in the next few days!!

balto
13-May-09, 22:07
that is terriable, why oh why cant folk just leave things alone. hope you get your bike back.

Connor.
13-May-09, 23:32
That is terrible news. I went past that road this morning but didn't see anything i'm afraid. :(

Rheghead
14-May-09, 00:12
I'm horrified about your story. I have a mountain bike which is not the latest in fashion but you are welcome to it if it helps any.:mad:

Bazeye
14-May-09, 00:15
I went on a cycle ride last summer and decided to stop for a refreshing pint. Locked the cycle up and went in the pub. When I came back out there was my bike but someone had stolen the combination lock.:confused:confused:confused

Aaldtimer
14-May-09, 02:41
Chain, padlock, fencepost...problem solved. :)

manloveswife
14-May-09, 02:51
Thanks Aaldtimer,

Stable door..... Gate..... Bolted horse....

I'm not giving the boy grief over if it was locked or not

Theft is theft... its simply wrong

What we now want is info into who did it, we already have 5 witnesses who saw the car, as yet no one near enough for identification, one was going up the lane when he took off.....but who knows, hopefully I will yet catch up with this person, no excuses, stealing a boys bike is just not on. I can go to any number of lanes, dirt tracks and pick up another tomorrow locked or not, most likely not, but common decency says I wont.

manloveswife
14-May-09, 02:58
And to the other posters, thanks for the kind words and for having a heart;):Razz

EDDIE
14-May-09, 07:56
Mayebay the person in that car that u suspect took the bike might have a daily or weekly pattern on his routine maybey passes there all the time.?
Worst thing now is what do u do do u buy him another bike for it to get stolen again because that person might come back couple months down the road and target the bike again it looks like u will have to find something to chain the next bike to.

Alice in Blunderland
14-May-09, 08:49
Thanks for the replies,
It wouldn't have been mistaken for refuse, and it certainly has not been taken to the police to be handed in, they are involved now but we still are not holding out much hope.

Definately a simple case of someone taking what they knew they should not.

Dont loose heart. We had toys stolen from the garden and thought we would never see them again. :(

The police did find them a couple of months later and the kids were delighted when the police van unloaded their toys for them one afternoon. :D

I hope you get the bike back its such a shame on your boy and yes I wouldnt give any talks about locked bike either as they say lesson learned but not one you would have expected.

cuddlepop
14-May-09, 09:02
Thats a crying shame,your poor boy must have been gutted when he got off the bus and noticed his bike was gone.

I'm really suprised things like this happen up there but I suppose no where is safe anymore.:~( Bikes tend to get taken here and dumped in the river,apparently its "funny".:roll:

You might just get lucky and get the bike back.Is there anyway your son would recognise his own bike if he suspected someone was riding it?

We've got ours secretly marked.

manloveswife
14-May-09, 10:44
Thanks again people,

And yes, the next bike will have to be better secured.

The boy and I spent till late last night making up a "banger" from bits of previous bikes, I didn't have the heart to make him walk, and he's much too "independent" to accept a lift ( though he seems quite happy to have me run his personal taxi service for out of school activities:roll:). At least Caithness is not too hilly as he only has the one gear. He can chain that around the barbed wire above the flagstone dyke so that should do for now.

We are planning on putting a BIG stone with a Big eyebolt at the top of the road for the next bike to be chained to. And come the new school year there will be a couple more bikes being left so they can at least then be chained together.

As said, lesson learned but one it would have been nicer not to.

christina
14-May-09, 11:05
Oh no thats terrible:( I must start to get my son to put his bike away at night now. How old is your son as my son has 2 unused bikes in the shed I would be glad to give one to your son if the bike would suit his age. Just let me know your welcome to come have a look at them.

anneoctober
14-May-09, 12:11
I know the family involved and I'm certain that they will be touched by the kindness of the Orgers on here , I know I am. :D Why some folk feel the need to be unpleasant and thoughtless, I can't answer. For the short time we're all here together, it would n't hurt us to be more helpful and kind to those who cross our path in life, and IF that does nae work......... e "Bogeyman" will get ye !!:eek:

annthracks
15-May-09, 12:55
I went on a cycle ride last summer and decided to stop for a refreshing pint. Locked the cycle up and went in the pub. When I came back out there was my bike but someone had stolen the combination lock.:confused:confused:confused

I think perhaps someone was trying to tell you that combi locks are sh*te ! :)

annthracks
15-May-09, 13:25
Well, gutted, :( The boys bike was stolen today from the top of the Achscrabster Road where it meets the Thurso - Shebster road.

Not much help this time I'm afraid, but if you didn't, next time take a note of the frame number (usually on the bottom bracket). shame that I've just got rid of 3 old bikes, you could have had one of them.

Bazeye
15-May-09, 14:10
I think perhaps someone was trying to tell you that combi locks are sh*te ! :)

Or my bike was sh*te, more like.:(

manloveswife
15-May-09, 14:14
Hi again,
Thank you for all the helpful and kind comments, and the very kind offers of bikes.
It does lift the spirit somewhat to know how many decent, kind and caring people are out there. The boy has been reading the reponses to the thread and we are sure it has helped raise his spirits.

We have now promised him a fresh bike in the near future if the other has not turned up ( hopefully will get him one for the summer hols), it was his christmas present after all. Any use of it for the school bus run though will have to now be accompanied by some better security measures, and be marked up at the police station. That said, we could identify the stolen one by certain pointers including a couple of bits of "wear and tear" should it yet turn up.

manloveswife
15-May-09, 15:00
If this works there should now be a picture of the boy on his bike ( and I did say he used it in all weathers ).

Just in case anyone knows someone who has just "aquired" a secondhand bike like this ( it is a Terrain Yukon adult sized bike ) again we would appreciate any info.

The person who it looks like took it must have been brazen, seen from a distance by several people though not close enough, passed on the road with the bike at the side of the car by another who unfortunately didn't get the make / model of the car. And he did a flit just as a friend and neighbour of ours was heading up the lane. A few seconds later and we would have been a lot wiser. We know the time the bike was taken as another neighbour noticed its absence when coming back, having seen it on his way out just a half hour earlier, and this again ties in to the time the silver car was seen. On the strength of this we have not given up all hope of getting an I.D yet.

bothyman
15-May-09, 15:18
Is this the same one .

>> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-0525.aspx

Hope you get it back

BINBOB
15-May-09, 15:33
Oh no thats terrible:( I must start to get my son to put his bike away at night now. How old is your son as my son has 2 unused bikes in the shed I would be glad to give one to your son if the bike would suit his age. Just let me know your welcome to come have a look at them.

What a very generous offer............bless u.;)

manloveswife
15-May-09, 15:52
Hi again,
Yes, thats the one in the link, as I said, nothing too expensive as far as bikes go as we didn't want to tempt fate with it being left at the top of the lane.

And Binbob is right, there have been quite a few generous offers which are greatly appreciated and have left us quite touched. Just proves how many kind, generous and decent folk bide in this lovely county. :D

Kevin Milkins
16-May-09, 01:02
Many of us have failed the point here.:confused

A young person that relies on his bike has been pinched.

Now that in itself has been an upset to say the least, however it is sad that we cannot leave somthing un-atendeded without having to think it may be stolen:eek: