PDA

View Full Version : Info on area

Tallulah
12-May-09, 15:40
Hi all

We live in Yorkshire and are thinking about moving up to Caithness for a better life for my 3 little boys. We love it up there.:D
Can anyone tell me what the job situation is like up there please for the jobs we do? My hubby is a welder fabricator and I work in health promotion.

We are coming up over spring bank to have a long weekend there to look ata areas etc, thinking about Watten or Lybster or Thrumster

Cheers all

EDDIE
12-May-09, 15:55
Hi all

We live in Yorkshire and are thinking about moving up to Caithness for a better life for my 3 little boys. We love it up there.:D
Can anyone tell me what the job situation is like up there please for the jobs we do? My hubby is a welder fabricator and I work in health promotion.

We are coming up over spring bank to have a long weekend there to look ata areas etc, thinking about Watten or Lybster or Thrumster

Cheers all

There is not a lot of jobs in caithness if your husband is a welder he could get a good wage if he want to work offshore but the only downside is the 2 week on 2 week of rota but there is a lot of people in caithness that work offshore just a thought.

Drigbyy2k
12-May-09, 16:25
I use to be a welder, theres a few places up here, JGC in Halkirk, Gows in Lybster, Nicholson Enginering in Bower and theres a new place in Lybster but don't know the name of it, it's up the Rumster road if you know where that is... HTH...

kgs
12-May-09, 19:53
It is a great place if you have kids. We made the move two years ago and wouldn't go back. Watten, Gillock, Bower areas are good.
Good Luck!

balto
12-May-09, 20:03
hiya, may i suggest thrumster, lived there for 16 years, the only reason i moved was my mum and dad wanted to move further in the road, but given half the chance i would be back in a heartbeat, we had such fun growing up and the school is really good. goodluck wherever you decide to go.

Alice in Blunderland
12-May-09, 20:05
Well this will be some move for you. Its a different way of life in the north most definately. I live in the Thrumster area so can give you infomation if you need it.

The area has a much lower crime rate than south and the children will be able to enjoy much, much, more freedom. :D

I lived south until I was fifteen and when I moved here at first I hated my parents for taking me away from south now I wouldnt be in a hurry to ever leave here.

There is another welding firm not mentioned in the previous post called Lochshell engineering.

On the health promotion side Im not sure but if you are determined to make a go of life here I am sure doors will open for you. :)

Give me a shout when you are up if you want a chat and a cup of tea and someone to show you round Thrumster............. :)

Alice in Blunderland
12-May-09, 20:11
we had such fun growing up and the school is really good. goodluck wherever you decide to go.

Yip the school has less than thirty children. Good teacher to pupil ratio ............ excellent standards and of course great new playground equipment installed this year to a tune of over £8,000.

My two youngest girls go there and love it and the teachers.:D

TRUCKER
12-May-09, 21:13
Yes come to caithness tallulah it will be the best move you ever make good luck with your hunt if you come anywhere in caithness is fine to live in

iain
12-May-09, 22:01
What about coming to Reay ? Really good school and only a couple of miles from Dounreay where there are loads of contractors working.Might even get a job with me in Vulcan !!

Tallulah
12-May-09, 22:13
Thank you to everyone. We have just read the replies and have just got all excited about what everyone has said.

We have just got to look at selling our house down here which is no easy task at the mo and then we are definately making the move.

Life down here in England is just not want I want for my boys. Only 2 days ago not that far from us, a dad of 4 told a gang of lads to be a bit quieter late at night outside his house and they hit him with a brick and killed him.

The pace of life, the people, the landscape, everything you have up there is sooooooooo much better than down here.

And how canwe turn down the offer of a cuppa

thanks again;)

Tallulah
12-May-09, 22:16
wheres Raey Iain? what work do you do at Vulcan?

This is why we thought we would come up at the end of May without the babes to suss out different areas and what work is available

Moira
12-May-09, 22:21
Hi all
Cheers all

Welcome Tallulah. What part of health promotion are you involved in at the moment? I could perhaps help you.

What is "spring bank"? :confused

Tallulah
12-May-09, 22:32
Hi Moira

I work with health promotion for over 50s especially from community development perspectives...particularly healthy ageing, health prevention strategies such as falls prevention strategies, COPD stuff, etc, etc.

Spring bank is the end of May bank holiday

Moira
12-May-09, 22:51
Thanks for the reply. Your term "spring bank" is not one I've ever heard used before.

In terms of your health promotion experience I would suggest you apply to the NHS via http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

Good luck.

Bazeye
12-May-09, 22:53
Going off thread a little but what are the job prospects for sparkies in Caithness? Are any contractors at Dounreay or Vulcan taking on at the moment?

Alice in Blunderland
13-May-09, 08:31
And how canwe turn down the offer of a cuppa

thanks again;)

Oh you cant and some home made cakes if the kids have been baking.:)

annthracks
13-May-09, 09:20
Thanks for the reply. Your term "spring bank" is not one I've ever heard used before.

Probably because you've grown up not having the same bank holidays as England? I dunno, just a thought :-)

edit: or is it because we don't have a spring up here? ;) LOL

weegie
13-May-09, 10:06
whereabouts in yorkshire ?

Tallulah
13-May-09, 10:33
we are just south of sheffield Weegie

and Alice, homemede cakes sounds totally fab.:D

When someone spoke about offshore work, can anyone give me more details about this, who where, how, wages etc or point me to a man that can:D

feel like I want to walk out of work, collect hubby, kids, dogs, cats and chickens, and possessions and move up today:roll:

achingale
13-May-09, 10:54
Caithness is a great place for kids to grow up in but it's when they're older it may not suit them. There's not really much around for them but if they love the quiet life, the outdoors etc then they'll stay. And the college offers loads of courses when they get to that age. I hope you find something and best of luck to all of you. :)

teenybash
13-May-09, 13:17
Good luck with your plans to move.....it's a great place and refreshingly different.........I am sure Caithness will welcome you.
I live in the Watten area where we have a lovely Primary school and a local shop/post office, The Brown Trout Hotel and nice friendly folk.
Bye the way you are more than welcome to call for a cuppa and a natter....I'll bake some pancakes too.:)