PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Snares

Socrates
10-May-09, 15:54
Wick Police are currently investigating two separate incidents of protected species of wildlife being killed by illegal means. A pine marten was found in an illegal trap in the area between Watten and Mybster last weekend. The pine marten was found by a member of the public and was passed to the SSPCA who in turn had a vet examine its injuries. However, the extent of injuries meant the pine marten had to be put down. Pine martens are a rare species and protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. A badger was found with a snare around its neck on the A99 road by Clyth, near Lybster one week ago. Badgers are strictly protected from any form of disturbance or killing under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992.

I expect the usual suspects to write in defending these vile people, but remember it could have been your child or dog/cat that was caught in these traps

unicorn
10-May-09, 18:04
This is a vile way kill animals, the perpetrators should have even a hand trapped in one for a few hours and see how keen they are to use them again.

Liz
10-May-09, 18:22
This is a vile way kill animals, the perpetrators should have even a hand trapped in one for a few hours and see how keen they are to use them again.

Totally agree with you Unicorn.

These snares are barbaric and it is heartbreaking to think of the pain these poor animals endured.
I really hope they catch these culprits and that they get a hefty fine.

Margaret M.
10-May-09, 18:29
I expect the usual suspects to write in defending these vile people, but remember it could have been your child or dog/cat that was caught in these traps

There is no defense for inflicting such extreme pain on living creatures -- only heartless morons set snares and traps.

Rie
10-May-09, 18:53
Unfortunatly this isnt a one off incident around watten/ mybster when i used to live there we would often find snares around the out skirts of the quarry and surrounding area while out walking the dogs and each one i came across i took away and the sspca were made aware then.
I do not agree with this way of "hunting"

gleeber
10-May-09, 19:25
I didnt think snares were illegal. Maybe indiscriminate but not illegal.

unicorn
10-May-09, 19:27
Self locking snares are illegal http://www.league.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=1758

northener
10-May-09, 20:01

And who exactly are the 'usual suspects' then?:confused

skinnydog
10-May-09, 21:12
I saw that article on the front page of the org. I know that Pine Martens can be predatory but what harm do badgers do? Do they steal hens eggs or anything? Seems so sad that people have to resort to barbaric snares, just a slow, torturous death for any animal.

Kenn
10-May-09, 23:05
Sad to say but there is a train of thought that blames badgers for tuberculosis in cattle and although the case is unproven as yet, many farmers will resort to these type of measures to protect their stock.
With regard to snares, it's about time that any kind are banned, the case of the pine martin being a prime example as no doubt it was never intended to be the catch.

Socrates
11-May-09, 09:51
And who exactly are the 'usual suspects' then?:confused

You should know that forum rules dictate that people can not be named.

teenybash
11-May-09, 10:41
Setting snares is abhorrent, vicious and cruel beyond words. Those who use these should hang their heads in shame at having such a blackened evil soul residing within them. It is time to leave the wild creatures alone and let them live their lives as part of natures vast and colourful picture.

Vistravi
11-May-09, 20:47
This method is awful. If people are going to hunt animals they should use a gun,have a good aim or break the animals neck. Simple and quick almost instant death. I hate seeing any animals in pain and theses snares and having a poor shot ensures that they die slow and in pain.
My dad was a part time hunter and caught wild rabbits occasionaly and had a few game keepers friends that gave us game every so often. He was a firm believer in breaking the neck or shooting in the heart or head to kill instantly.
The circle of life makes hunting seem sense in some ways but it should be done to cause no pain or very little.
These snares are the worst thing ever. Imangine your child or pet dog/cat getting caught in one of these. Their cries of pain would kill you and once free your child would properly have a limp the rest of their life and your cat/dog certainly would properly die. People who plant these snares do not see this.

alex
11-May-09, 21:42
This method is awful. If people are going to hunt animals they should use a gun,have a good aim or break the animals neck. Simple and quick almost instant death. I hate seeing any animals in pain and theses snares and having a poor shot ensures that they die slow and in pain.

Very true, snaring is completely indiscriminate and catches the wrong animal more often than not. Of course in Scotland a poacher is unlikely to accidentally catch an elephant by the trunk or a buffalo (I hope) but you will be amazed the number of times I have found raptors (eagles, owls and other birds of prey) caught in snares set for small creatures as they are set on the same game paths the natural predators hunt on.

I don't believe snaring has any place in pest control or any other legal wildlife control activity and is an outdated method of hunting preserved only by the ignorant for profit or lack of imagination.

Vistravi
11-May-09, 22:33
Very true, snaring is completely indiscriminate and catches the wrong animal more often than not. Of course in Scotland a poacher is unlikely to accidentally catch an elephant by the trunk or a buffalo (I hope) but you will be amazed the number of times I have found raptors (eagles, owls and other birds of prey) caught in snares set for small creatures as they are set on the same game paths the natural predators hunt on.

I don't believe snaring has any place in pest control or any other legal wildlife control activity and is an outdated method of hunting preserved only by the ignorant for profit or lack of imagination.

Very true alex. hunters that use these are setting a huge danger to all animals not just the ones they want to catch and they don't seem to realise this.
I work closely with small children and if a very small child was caught in one of these death traps then they'd be killed. I also even though i am scared of a few animals (Birds, dogs, horses) i love animals and could not stand to see any animal in pain. I have two cats myself and if either one of them got caught in one of these it would kill them and then i'd be out for the blood of the person who laid the awful death trap. Lord help anyone who hurts either one of them. Life is important and these death traps are no way to end any animals lives. its cruel, slow and painful.

arana negra
12-May-09, 08:17
I hate snares with avengence, my cat was caught in one on the farmers land where we rented a cottage, he needed vetinary treatment for some time. Lordy did I get a shock when I saw WHO was setting them. The very same vet as had treated my cat !! My landlord was informed and took action, needless to say we no longer used that vet.

Socrates
12-May-09, 10:41
Thanks to everyone that posted. it seems that 100% of forum members are against this barbaric method of killing animals.

The UK is one of only five European members that still allow animal snares to be used. Ireland, France, Spain and Belgium have far stricter snare rules compared to the UK.
Almost 70 per cent of animals caught in snares are not the intended targets. No DEFRA official has ever checked to see if a snare fulfils their own code of practice and are lawful.

If you require any further information on this subject, take a look at:

http://www.antisnaring.org.uk (http://www.antisnaring.org.uk/)

To show that I am not biased I also include a link to a pro snaring site:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/sections/articles/ferreting_trapping/rabbit-snaring-snares.html