PDA

View Full Version : beasties!!!

celtchicky
10-May-09, 12:58
hey is anyone gettin bothered wi beasties on there washin??? mines is covered in wee flies, not normal flies, long ones :mad:

Liz
10-May-09, 13:25
Yes they are horrible. What are they?

ks
10-May-09, 13:25
hey is anyone gettin bothered wi beasties on there washin??? mines is covered in wee flies, not normal flies, long ones :mad:

Yup me too, kept landing on me and the washing when I was hanging it out.

dragonfly
10-May-09, 13:27
same here! they were copulating all over my washing yesterday and their mates must have heard there's an orgy on in my garden cos there's 100's of the little sods here today [evil]

hopefully they'll be gone soon

Liz
10-May-09, 13:29
same here! they were copulating all over my washing yesterday and their mates must have heard there's an orgy on in my garden cos there's 100's of the little sods here today [evil]

hopefully they'll be gone soon

Oh yuck!:lol: Think we should have tumble dried.:confused

captain chaos
10-May-09, 13:31
Yep here as well, the garden was covered yesterday and today in rampant flies.
The path was covered in dead ones by late yesterday evening.

Liz
10-May-09, 13:35
Does anyone know what type of fly they are?

They seem to be all over the county! We have been invaded!:confused

celtchicky
10-May-09, 13:37
its a right pain in the backside as on lovely days lek is, we all want our washin oot.

Liz
10-May-09, 13:41
Not looking forward to going for a walk. Wish there was some kind of repellent which actually worked.

Shabbychic
10-May-09, 14:02
Not looking forward to going for a walk. Wish there was some kind of repellent which actually worked.

I use Avon Skin so Soft and it always works. Must be "Woodland Fresh" flavour though. :)

Liz
10-May-09, 14:08
I use Avon Skin so Soft and it always works. Must be "Woodland Fresh" flavour though. :)

Oh great. Will give it a go thanks. Does it work for midges?

balto
10-May-09, 14:38
oh they are horriable, got the kids a new trampoline yesterday, and within 5 mins it was covered with these horriable things.

Angel
10-May-09, 15:02
Yes they are here too... thousands of them... I recall about 4 years ago the same thing happened... and I also recall some fishermen found millions of dead ones floating altogether in the sea... I think they called some scientists in to find out whay it was all about...

Angel...

dragonfly
10-May-09, 15:16
did we have a good summer that year??? might be a good sign eh? I'll put up with them if it means we're having lovely weather from now until October :Razz

Venture
10-May-09, 15:28
I've got the same problem here too. Masses of the little blighters who seem to like the white washing best for trying to reproduce on. They certainly don't look like our normal flies.

Ash
10-May-09, 15:28

yeah it sure does, im an avon rep and everyone is buying it :D

butterfly
10-May-09, 15:47
I have got thousands all over my white washing too!It seems they are mating .Have to shake the washing before i take it in.Was the same yesterday but i noticed once the sun went off the washing they flew away.

Venture
10-May-09, 15:50

Ash is right it certainly works for midges. Someone told me about it a few years ago and it does the job. Seems the army use it as well when on exercises, especially on the West Coast.

Kevin Milkins
10-May-09, 15:57

I was down Reiss beech earlier and they are out in their masses:eek:. There is a cool North west breeze blowing down there and it has put them to ground.:Razz

Liz
10-May-09, 17:57
I was down Reiss beech earlier and they are out in their masses:eek:. There is a cool North west breeze blowing down there and it has put them to ground.:Razz

Will be going there in a wee while so hope they stay on the ground.:D

ShelleyCowie
10-May-09, 18:03
See this is why i refuse to hang out washing.

Always put mines on the clothes horse and a few things in the tumble dryer. Only thing i hang out is sheets/bedding but only on slightly more windy days, there are less midgies and wee beastie flys! :D

(and the avon stuff does work, used to use it at horse riding!)

Liz
10-May-09, 18:10
yeah it sure does, im an avon rep and everyone is buying it :D
Oh if I'd known that I would have bought it from you Ash. I got it on Ebay for about £3 incl p&p

See this is why i refuse to hang out washing.

Always put mines on the clothes horse and a few things in the tumble dryer. Only thing i hang out is sheets/bedding but only on slightly more windy days, there are less midgies and wee beastie flys! :D

(and the avon stuff does work, used to use it at horse riding!)

The tumble dryer is really hard on electric. We use a clothes dryer which can be heated.
It's nice to get the washing out though. A pain when the birds s**t on it though!:confused

ShelleyCowie
10-May-09, 18:13
The tumble dryer is really hard on electric. We use a clothes dryer which can be heated.
It's nice to get the washing out though. A pain when the birds s**t on it though!:confused

It is hard on electric. But i only use it twice a week for about 30 minutes. Most of the clothes goes on the clothes horsey!

But then....brenon pulls it all down! :lol:

Liz
10-May-09, 18:20
I wonder whether they are some kind of May fly as they only live for about a day which could explain all the dead ones?

poppett
10-May-09, 19:00
Always believed the tiny ones were cornfly, but can`t be sure. Was lucky today the wind kept them off my whites.

Connor.
10-May-09, 19:26
These are pretty weird flies, i personally haven't seem them before. They are similar to mayflies but if they were mayflies they would be a bit more developed at this stage. Went a walk to reay beach today and it was like walking through the set of an adult movie. It was mobbed aswell.

Another fly/bug i saw today which slightly bedazzled me was what looked to be a 1 inch long dung beetle and around 3/4 inch tall and it had wings close to its head and it just seemed to hover about. It certainly was a big beasty, almost did a jackie chan stunt to get out of it's path to be quite honest. Anyone have a clue about what i saw?

puppygirl
10-May-09, 20:49
i hate flies today i had to put my hood up cos i hated them when my mum hangs her washing out she has tuns of long ones[evil][evil]:lol:

Dadie
10-May-09, 21:26
Think a lot of them splattered my windscreen today.
Wondered why there was so many bugs today as I had to stop and clear the windscreen at 1 point as I couldnt see out:eek:

Geo
10-May-09, 21:37
I think it's this one. They were everywhere today, even in the car. I looked them up and if it's them they are called St. Mark's fly.

Connor.
10-May-09, 21:46
That's the exact ones.

Kenn
11-May-09, 00:12
Whew will be able to sleep tonight now that some one has identified what they are!

alex
11-May-09, 00:28

Amazing - that was what we prescribed in Zambia against tetse flies in 2000 and then we found Boots sun screen also had the same effect. Might seem a bit silly using sunscreen here though...

St Mark's fly are only found in Southern Britain. These are skinnier..

[edit] apologies - it does seem to be St. Marks Fly. (Global warming??????????)

riggerboy
11-May-09, 08:26
o well with all that extra flies on the go the spiders will be out in force and twice the size this year,

they will be popping out everywhere

Kevin Milkins
11-May-09, 09:10
St Mark's fly are only found in Southern Britain. These are skinnier..

[edit] apologies - it does seem to be St. Marks Fly. (Global warming??????????)[/quote]

I thought the ones I observed were skinnier than the photo of the St. Marks Fly as well.:confused.

Geo
11-May-09, 10:47
Pic is a closeup of a female which are bigger than the males.

However they could also be Fever flies which look similar but are smaller:

Katy
11-May-09, 12:15
I was a bit confused about the beasties on washing as I had mines out yesterday and nope nothing but low and behold I just went out to hang more washing out and the previous load is covered in them!!!!! YUCK!!! Horrible little things.....

tonkatojo
11-May-09, 12:47

HI, looked for this on the "AVON" web page and it is not listed. where am I going wrong ?

Shabbychic
11-May-09, 13:29
HI, looked for this on the "AVON" web page and it is not listed. where am I going wrong ?

Having checked it out, I have found that Avon have changed the name from Woodland Fresh to Soft and Fresh. Why they changed the name I don't know. :)

Vistravi
11-May-09, 20:39
Ah yes those flies. We were up in caithness at the weekend seeing family and some friends and ended up taking a walk through castletown cemtrey and on the outskirts of the village with my three younger brothers and we were bombarded with them. My partners car window screen was covered in bug guts on the way down to ness only yetserday.
None in ness though.........;)
I use clothes horse's so i never have to worry bout the weather being bad for drying or electricty eaten by tumble dryers. But those flies are a real pain. During our walk we were covered in them and they especilly liked my partner[lol]

Happy Guy
11-May-09, 20:47
I drove to Inverness and back and I cant see through the windscreen any more for dead beasties! Millions of them!

the poacher
11-May-09, 20:55
yip tones of them here too my washing is full of them little pests!

goldenguernsey
11-May-09, 20:59
not too bothered wi them out here, hope I haven't spoke too soon lol

Fran
12-May-09, 02:45
Driving back from Inverness this afternoon, i had loads of beasties hitting the windscreen. the front of the vehiscle has spots of blood over it, what a mess.