PDA

View Full Version : Owag Begg in Berriedale

Christina Baldwin
10-May-09, 10:41
Hello,
Back on 16 Feb 09, in the thread about Bruce & Mackay Latheron, Andrew Bruce made reference to the following
"Another Brother Angus was living at Owag Begg in Berriedale".
I am interested in the place Owag Begg as I think it might be a place I have been trying to locate for ages. The OPR Marriage certificate records that on 05/05/1822 John McLeod Shepherd, of ...looks like Owagbeg...married Christian Sutherland, Badbea. In Kildonan. If the Owag Begg & Owagbeg are the same place in Berriedale that will make sense. Can anyone tell me more about this place or confirm this. Thanks Christina Baldwin

Bruce_H
11-May-09, 14:22
Well, this does follow a pattern. There is an ancestor of mine in the OPR that lists "Knockfin, Berriedale", and Knockfin is in the Strath of Kildonan. So I think it may have been the case that children born at the north end of the Strath (the part that lies in Caithness-shire) may have had "Berriedale" tacked to the end of the location just to give folks a clue about where it was.

Bruce H

spittalhill
11-May-09, 17:23
I think this will be the place called Wag on the current OS maps. It is up the Langwell Water and quite close to the Sutherland border and Kildonan. On the 1832 map it is called Uag. There is also a Uagmore. Owag would have been the original Gaelic name.

Christina Baldwin
26-May-09, 09:06
Thanks SpittalHill,

In your reply to CaithLynn, above, I think you have also answered this question - you put the link to the map - which I had not seen before. It was most interesting. Just a bit further inland (West) to Ousdale there is a place called Uagbeg that I am sure is the place I have been looking for. I have double checked on the marriage cert & it looks good.
Many thanks.
Christina
New Zealand