PDA

View Full Version : South Shebster Windfarm Hearing

ywindythesecond
10-May-09, 00:00
Nothing to do on Tuesday? Come to Halkirk 1pm for another demonstration of democracy at its best.
The South Shebster Windfarm Hearing is on, and the planners are recommending acceptance. National targets are more important than people’s lives.
This is what the Committee report says:
[It is considered that residential property in the vicinity of the wind
farm will not suffer a significant loss of amenity during both the construction and
operation of the wind farm due to separation distances from the turbines and
mitigation proposed by the developer. Once constructed and in operation there will be significant visual impacts but these are considered to be acceptable given the
separation distances from houses.
However, it is considered that this development is of a scale to provide a significant
contribution to the Government’s and Highland Council’s renewable energy targets
and considerable weight must be given to this factor. It is considered that this places
the balance in favour of the wind energy proposal.]

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4231854E-4ECA-457E-9DC3-FB8796B2899C/0/Item21PLC2109.pdf (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4231854E-4ECA-457E-9DC3-FB8796B2899C/0/Item21PLC2109.pdf)

Has anyone in Planning asked the people nearby what they consider?

Rheghead
10-May-09, 06:23
I'm guessing here that if the Shebster proposal is rejected then that will be taken into account for the Baillie proposal. A Shebster rejection will make it harder for ministers to reject Baillie. An approval for Shebster will mean that in terms of clustering Baillie would be increasingly untenable for approval by ministers.

I'd be very surprised if both get refusal and equally surprised if both get approval except in a timeline where Shebster gets refusal, Baillie is approved partly on that, meanwhile the Shebster developer appeals to Edinburgh and gets approval on the basis of the evidence presented on Tuesday.

I'd think a bit of tactical pragmatism might be the better option here for the anti crowd. A 10MW or 63MW??:confused

ywindythesecond
10-May-09, 10:31
[quote

I'd think a bit of tactical pragmatism might be the better option here for the anti crowd. A 10MW or 63MW??:confused[/quote]

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/628/blue500shebsterbroubstek.jpg
Don't think folk living here will go for that. This is like when you are driving north on the Causeymire just past the peat workings and the road bends left and you are looking directly at the turbines around a kilometre away above the trees .

Mr P Cannop
10-May-09, 12:35
Nothing to do on Tuesday? Come to Halkirk 1pm for another demonstration of democracy at its best.
The South Shebster Windfarm Hearing is on, and the planners are recommending acceptance. National targets are more important than people’s lives.
This is what the Committee report says:
[It is considered that residential property in the vicinity of the wind
farm will not suffer a significant loss of amenity during both the construction and
operation of the wind farm due to separation distances from the turbines and
mitigation proposed by the developer. Once constructed and in operation there will be significant visual impacts but these are considered to be acceptable given the
separation distances from houses.
However, it is considered that this development is of a scale to provide a significant
contribution to the Government’s and Highland Council’s renewable energy targets
and considerable weight must be given to this factor. It is considered that this places
the balance in favour of the wind energy proposal.]

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4231854E-4ECA-457E-9DC3-FB8796B2899C/0/Item21PLC2109.pdf (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4231854E-4ECA-457E-9DC3-FB8796B2899C/0/Item21PLC2109.pdf)

Has anyone in Planning asked the people nearby what they consider?

am not able to attend can some one give me a report from the meeting on what was said and so on please ??

Stargazer
10-May-09, 14:06
I cannot make it to this meeting, but if anybody is I would like to know who is going to keep filling up the "fishing lochan" with water. Presumably it the one already there and it leaks and need topping up.

Maybe once planning is passed these promises will be quietly forgotton.

2.6 The application also includes an outline proposal for a visitor attraction (crannog),
archaeological trail and forest walk including a fishing lochan. No details are provided.

olivia
10-May-09, 22:39
Whilst I appreciate that every planning application before our councillors has to be judged on its merits, it seems wrong to have this hearing before the Baillie inquiry result is known.

Surely they need to know if the huge Baillie development is going to be built across the way before they possibly impose another windfarm on the residents of Shebster?

Another thing that bugs me is the planning officer saying this development will not have a bad impact on the closest houses, how on earth can he judge that? As a precaution wind farms should never be built close to homes.

Rheghead
10-May-09, 23:09
Another thing that bugs me is the planning officer saying this development will not have a bad impact on the closest houses, how on earth can he judge that?

Does he actually say that?:confused

ywindythesecond
11-May-09, 00:09
Does he actually say that?:confused

Not the precise words but see post #1 in this thread

Rheghead
11-May-09, 03:51
Nearest property is 850m from turbines I understand. The proposal is not on a hilltop and is sited into the Caithness hinterland side. I can see how the planner sees that South Shebster should be approved.
From a safety point of view 850m is ample distance from flying debris, as for noise I would have thought there will be minimal nuisance.

From my calculation, I think from 850m, if I held out my hand in the thumbs up position, the size of the turbines would be about just over half my thumb in size. I think this would be acceptable in terms of visual amenity considering the added benefits of producing pollution-free electricity. Not to mention the other community benefits.

MadPict
11-May-09, 10:51
And when I hold my hand up all the windfarms in Caithness are hidden behind it - so that's OK then...........

[lol]

Rheghead
11-May-09, 11:22
And when I hold my hand up all the windfarms in Caithness are hidden behind it - so that's OK then...........

[lol]

I hold up my hand to let myself be known that I am prepared to put aside my self-interested protectionism for the sake of the greater good.;)

Anti-nimby through and through.

MadPict
11-May-09, 16:45
I hold up my hand to let myself be known that I am prepared to put aside my self-interested protectionism for the sake of the greater good.;)

Anti-nimby through and through.

Shame the developers don't have such ideals -
they put aside protectionism for the sake of their self-interested greater wealth...

olivia
11-May-09, 18:26
as for noise I would have thought there will be minimal nuisance.

Can you back that up with evidence? What do you consider to be minimal nuisance?

david
11-May-09, 22:14
Nearest property is 850m from turbines I understand. The proposal is not on a hilltop and is sited into the Caithness hinterland side. I can see how the planner sees that South Shebster should be approved.
From a safety point of view 850m is ample distance from flying debris, as for noise I would have thought there will be minimal nuisance.

From my calculation, I think from 850m, if I held out my hand in the thumbs up position, the size of the turbines would be about just over half my thumb in size. I think this would be acceptable in terms of visual amenity considering the added benefits of producing pollution-free electricity. Not to mention the other community benefits.

Well said Rheghead-Look at the benefits Halkirk have got from this green energy. I understand that the work to floodlight the Ross Institute is almost complete (around 12k). Makes complete sense to use the money from the green windmills in such a non green way.

anneoctober
12-May-09, 08:16
Whilst I appreciate that every planning application before our councillors has to be judged on its merits, it seems wrong to have this hearing before the Baillie inquiry result is known.

Surely they need to know if the huge Baillie development is going to be built across the way before they possibly impose another windfarm on the residents of Shebster?

Another thing that bugs me is the planning officer saying this development will not have a bad impact on the closest houses, how on earth can he judge that? As a precaution wind farms should never be built close to homes.
As a resident in Shebster, I can confirm that NO ONE involved in this "wind garden" scheme has bothered to ask their neighbours, how it will affect us, - as an individual OR as a wee community. There exists a "Them & Us" attitude of arrogance here. The desire to make money is top priority - nothing to do with "greener " energy and I will be very surprised if ANY of the proposed sweetners such as the visitor centre etc come into existance. [disgust]

MadMaz
12-May-09, 08:37
How many "Windfarms" can Caithness take? When is enough enough!!! Do we the people of Shebster count..it doesn't look like it. [disgust][disgust][disgust]

david
12-May-09, 08:44
How many "Windfarms" can Caithness take? When is enough enough!!! Do we the people of Shebster count..it doesn't look like it. [disgust][disgust][disgust]

Surely like Halkirk, Shebster has something it can floodlite with windmill money-or is that light pollution?

anneoctober
12-May-09, 09:11
Surely like Halkirk, Shebster has something it can floodlite with windmill money-or is that light pollution?
Do huge EGO's count??

MadMaz
12-May-09, 09:33
I'm hoping they might see the light :lol:

MadPict
12-May-09, 09:43
Eco Egos do........

Look at me, I'm "saving" the planet and making a nice profit at the same time....

Rheghead
12-May-09, 09:51
Can you back that up with evidence? What do you consider to be minimal nuisance?

I'm a regular passer-by of the Forss windfarm on my bike. I've failed everytime to hear the turbines from the road which is about 850m. I will be happy to invite anyone to come with me to verify that fact.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 09:59
Eco Egos do........

Look at me, I'm "saving" the planet and making a nice profit at the same time....

Aren't the 38 companies who have registered interest in the Pentland Firth tidal races just doing the same?

What about Pelamis? Same there I think.

I think out of all the things that the Labour party have done, incentivising the likes of Charlie Sutherland to build a windfarm of all things to make money has to be one of their successful achievements.:lol:

Mr P Cannop
12-May-09, 10:13
am not able to attend can some one give me a report from the meeting on what was said and so on please ??

can anyone do this for me ??

Rheghead
12-May-09, 10:15
can anyone do this for me ??

I'll assume Iain Grant will be there to give a thorough account of the day's proceedings in the Courier or Groat.

david
12-May-09, 12:25
Do huge EGO's count??

What counts is the need to spend windmill money in an environmentally friendly way instead of throwing it at projects which pollute. Surely that is achievable?

camor
12-May-09, 12:39
I am with anneoctober here. The developer is not interested in any issues other than making money. The people of Shebster and surrounding area will not benefit in any way and were not fully consulted over this. The wind farm at the Causwaywire is there to stay so instead of blotting the caithness with a turbine here and a turbine there, put all proposed turbines on the existing site at Causwaymire.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 12:42
What counts is the need to spend windmill money in an environmentally friendly way instead of throwing it at projects which pollute. Surely that is achievable?

I'd like to see all local community halls retro-fitted with ground heat source heating like at the Mey hall.

When that is done, then move onto local commercial properties.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 12:46
I am with anneoctober here. The developer is not interested in any issues other than making money. The people of Shebster and surrounding area will not benefit in any way and were not fully consulted over this. The wind farm at the Causwaywire is there to stay so instead of blotting the caithness with a turbine here and a turbine there, put all proposed turbines on the existing site at Causwaymire.

How can that work?

It would require a national strategy that would mean land is given over against the wishes of the land owner like in the Sino-model of how things been done. Compulsory purchase and all that.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 14:16
So I understand it has been approved for planning permission.

anneoctober
12-May-09, 15:22
I,m delighted to report that planning permission has been refused:D

Green_not_greed
12-May-09, 15:26

Glad to see you are as up-to-date and correct as ever.

david
12-May-09, 17:06
I'd like to see all local community halls retro-fitted with ground heat source heating like at the Mey hall.

When that is done, then move onto local commercial properties.

That would be far too sensible in the eyes of the folks in charge of this money. IMHO this type of suggestion should have been made mandatory in the constitution and the fund should never be supporting schemes which blatantly consume power. Of course this would have meant lower profits to the electricity companies/developers.

ywindythesecond
12-May-09, 19:01
I think out of all the things that the Labour party have done, incentivising the likes of Charlie Sutherland to build a windfarm of all things to make money has to be one of their successful achievements.:lol:

Could you explain this post please? What do you mean by "incentivising the likes of Charlie Sutherland"?

bekisman
12-May-09, 19:55
Seem to remember a couple of years ago someone cut down one of Charlie Sutherland's Anemometer masts, seemed local folk were not impressed, not sure but does not Charlie live quite some way from the proposed windfarm?

Miro
12-May-09, 21:56
Aren't the 38 companies who have registered interest in the Pentland Firth tidal races just doing the same?

What about Pelamis? Same there I think.

Unfortunately I find myself in total disagreement with you Rheghead - the one major failure of the Labour Government is to completely over amplify the benefits of 'green power' and ignore the fact that currently wind power is unable to provide reliable energy needs of today. Furthermore the Labour is ignorant of the necessity of nuclear power in a modern day society. The Blair/Brown governments have run away from the admission the nuclear power is currently the only answer to energy requirements.

I do however believe we must try to reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and perhaps wind and tidal energy will play a role in this. However the way in which the Labour administration has conducted the proliferation of windfarms is truly irresponsible. I believe that cash-strapped farmers have been exploited in the name of "raising community funds". Ironically windfarm proposals in Caithness have not led to community cohesion but rather segregation.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 23:21
At some point there will be questions raised why applications in West Caithness are being refused well below the national average since it is one of the most sparsely populated areas in the country.

Rheghead
12-May-09, 23:33
Could you explain this post please? What do you mean by "incentivising the likes of Charlie Sutherland"?

I don't think it needs any explanation. However, for your benefit, Charlie is a grassroots sort of person with a bit of land and an eye for a business venture , what the Government want to carry through their aim of getting their renewable targets met. He responded to the lure of money facillitated by the Renewable Obligation. Pretty Simple really.:roll:

You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.

ywindythesecond
13-May-09, 06:42
I don't think it needs any explanation. However, for your benefit, Charlie is a grassroots sort of person with a bit of land and an eye for a business venture , what the Government want to carry through their aim of getting their renewable targets met. He responded to the lure of money facillitated by the Renewable Obligation. Pretty Simple really.:roll:

You can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.

Thanks Reggy
A viable energy policy might have been a better option though.

Green_not_greed
13-May-09, 08:51
At some point there will be questions raised why applications in West Caithness are being refused well below the national average since it is one of the most sparsely populated areas in the country.

"Because its not suitable" would appear to be the answer you are struggling with. The area is populated by a dispersed community - so that finding a suitable area for an industrial development, far from peoples houses, is rather difficult. To date, Councillors and Reporters have come to the same conclusion, which is why wind turbine proposals for Lieurary, Borrowston, Baillie and Shebster have been thrown out. [Baillie of course remains with the Reporter - Councillors rightly voted it out].

At yesterday's Shebster planning hearing, evn Cllr Smith would not support wind turbines that were less than 1km from houses. CllA Mackay hit the nail on the head, when he said that Caithness was approx 600 square miles in size, yet once again Councillors were faced with a wind turbine proposal close to houses. He suggested that remote areas would be far better suited for turbine development - and Councillors appeared to agree with that view.

MadPict
13-May-09, 10:06
Offshore not onshore.......

Rheghead
13-May-09, 11:19
Offshore not onshore.......

Could mean higher energy prices. Like with the tidal energy, a lot more expensive than onshore wind.

Rheghead
13-May-09, 12:30
CllA Mackay hit the nail on the head, when he said that Caithness was approx 600 square miles in size, yet once again Councillors were faced with a wind turbine proposal close to houses. He suggested that remote areas would be far better suited for turbine development - and Councillors appeared to agree with that view.

Constructing long access roads through unspoilt floe country and building large industrial developments well away from grid connections is something you would support then?:roll:

Green_not_greed
13-May-09, 12:53
Constructing long access roads through unspoilt floe country and building large industrial developments well away from grid connections is something you would support then?:roll:

Constructing long access roads through unspoilt country (flow or otherwise) and building large industrial developments is what is required for any wind turbine development.

Rheghead
13-May-09, 12:56
Constructing long access roads through unspoilt country (flow or otherwise) and building large industrial developments is what is required for any wind turbine development.

Thanks for expressing your support.

Mr P Cannop
13-May-09, 13:20
does any one have a report from yesterdays meeting ??

Green_not_greed
13-May-09, 13:55
does any one have a report from yesterdays meeting ??

Minutes from the meeting will appear on the Council's planning website at some time in the next few weeks. Hopefully. They can sometimes take a while.

mulac
13-May-09, 15:18
I hope for most of the people of Shebster get their wish !
If Mr Sutherland wants the wind turbines surly he can put them up in his garden !
:roll:

olivia
13-May-09, 17:18
Having attended yesterday's planning hearing for the Shebster windfarm it was gratifying to hear our councillors taking on board the most important part of planning legislation regarding windfarms and proximity to homes. 'Long term significant detrimental impact on amenity' or various versions of it were uttered again and again. Well done our Councillors - a victory for the people of Shebster and for common sense.

Rheghead
13-May-09, 18:58
'Long term significant detrimental impact on amenity' or various versions of it were uttered again and again.

Did they mention that there was a long term and significant possibility that there will be a 4°C rise in Global temperatures by the end of this century? :confused What impact on our childrens amenity will that bring or were those at the meeting only thinking about their own immediate amenity? Last time there was a differential from today's average temperature like that was when we were in an Ice age. A very different world to what we know today.

The trouble with nimbys is that they only look to themselves for their motivations and strengths whilst those worried about Climate Change look forward to genuine longterm effects on our fragile planet which have impacts on everyone. I know which side is most noble...

[evil]

MadPict
13-May-09, 19:06
And wind power is going to stop that 4°C rise with it's reliable 24/7/365 output. Wind generated electricity is a con. Always has been and always will be.

Tidal power at least works all the time unlike wind power which cannot be guaranteed to work constantly. Covering Caithness (or anywhere else) in wind factories in the hope the wind will blow, is like hoping to win the jackpot on Euromillions...

Only one winner usually and they get to pocket a nice big wad of money...

MadPict
13-May-09, 19:06
And wind power is going to stop that 4°C rise with it's reliable 24/7/365 output. Wind generated electricity is a con. Always has been and always will be.

Tidal power at least works all the time unlike wind power which cannot be guaranteed to work constantly. Covering Caithness (or anywhere else) in wind factories in the hope the wind will blow, is like hoping to win the jackpot on Euromillions...

Rheghead
13-May-09, 19:23

It is part of the answer, in fact it will be the main answer for the time being. No one can deny a proven technology.

Tidal power at least works all the time unlike wind power which cannot be guaranteed to work constantly.

Tidal power has all the variations in output as wind, the only difference is that tidal is more predictable. That still needs to be addressed with back-up etc, just becase it is predictable to back up doesn't mean you don't need to back it up.

As for tidal power companies, they are only interested in one thing like wind companies...making money. Businesses are businesses.:roll: We have to thank the Renewable Obligation for incentivising interest in the whole list of companies who are lining up to exploit the Pentland Firth. I've yet to see if any of them are homegrown Caithnessian. It was typical of Caithnessians to stop South Shebster which was a 100% Caithnessian project! I've seen the arguement about big multinational companies having a slice of the wind energy market up here being used by the antiwind to stop wind farms up here time and time again. When they had the chance to back one of the few local proposals then showed total lack of intelligence and humility.

MP, when we disentangle what the antiwindys have to say in a logical rather than emotional way, they sound very shallow.

MadPict
13-May-09, 19:44
I hope as a semi anti windy you don't consider me shallow?...

Rheghead
13-May-09, 19:48
I hope as a semi anti windy you don't consider me shallow?...

You are deeper than some others I could mention.;)

bekisman
13-May-09, 20:02
Rheghead;"Did they mention that there was a long term and significant possibility that there will be a 4°C rise in Global temperatures by the end of this century?"
Do you honestly believe that something that has (maybe) taken hundreds of years to change, can be sorted out by Scotland putting up a few wind turbines?
Incidentally we've had a High over Scotland for a number of days, during which minimum wind /no wind occurred, luckily England will have their CO2 free Nuclear Power to flog us when the turbines stop turning.
Often wonder when price of electricity will go down as more of these wind factories are built, not happened yet. But then again you've answered that: "As for tidal power companies, they are only interested in one thing like wind companies...making money"

But then again, maybe if you stopped posting over 6,797 postings might save a bit of electricity generation?

Rheghead
13-May-09, 20:13
But then again, maybe if you stopped posting over 6,797 postings might save a bit of electricity generation?

I would have to use my laptop 24/7 for 70,000 years if I was to use the same amount of electricity that the South Shebster windfarm would have produced in just one year.

Since cycling to work this year* I've used my car twice this year, taking a British holiday, I've relagged the loft to 12", fitted smart meters, on a waiting list for solar panels, what have you done for the planet lately?:confused

I can't fight Climate Change on my own, I need your help as well which is the same as saying putting wind turbines in Scotland won't cure CC without the Rest-of-the-World helping.

* my work has a bike to work scheme, it will be interesting to see how many get their cheap bike and actually get on it to work.

Rheghead
13-May-09, 20:22
[SIZE=2]Do you honestly believe that something that has (maybe) taken hundreds of years to change, can be sorted out by Scotland putting up a few wind turbines?

Yes I do.

If we fail to meet our environmental obligations in Scotland with the best renewable energy resource portfolio on the planet and with all the eyes of the world looking to us to put our environment intentions where our political mouths are, what chance does the planet have?

Cinderella's Shoe
13-May-09, 20:46
MP, when we disentangle what the antiwindys have to say in a logical rather than emotional way, they sound very shallow.

Are you suggesting that anyone against wind power, or those who put people before profit, are shallow?

Rheghead
13-May-09, 20:52
Are you suggesting that anyone against wind power, or those who put people before profit, are shallow?

Do you think that going down the fossil fuel route in the face of scientific evidence and lining the pockets of dirty nuke, oil and coal companies, putting profit before people and the environment is being deep and meaningful?

Cinderella's Shoe
13-May-09, 21:15
Do you think that going down the fossil fuel route in the face of scientific evidence and lining the pockets of dirty nuke, oil and coal companies, putting profit before people and the environment is being deep and meaningful?

I'm no expert but thought the new coal stations were to be fitted with some kind of carbon capture? I guess the same could be done for oil and gas plants? Nuclear is a proven and CO2 free source of power. I really think given the amount of money to be made from ROCs - and all the big businesses chasing them - that is where you'll find "lining the pockets" happening.

Rheghead
13-May-09, 21:26
I'm no expert but thought the new coal stations were to be fitted with some kind of carbon capture? I guess the same could be done for oil and gas plants? Nuclear is a proven and CO2 free source of power. I really think given the amount of money to be made from ROCs - and all the big businesses chasing them - that is where you'll find "lining the pockets" happening.

I'm no expert either but there are a lot of genuine experts who think that carbon capture technology is a pie in the sky and unproven. That seems reasonable because how can you put back into the ground something that now occupies a volume 800 times larger into an undergrond oil well? Reducing the volume will take more carbon footprint etc which means higher fuel bills. No guarantee of success and for what?

Nuclear is a proven technology but for how long? Proven resources will only last ~50 years then we are into unconventional resources, more cost to the consumer and definitely untried.

ROCs only inflate energy prices by 100% for onshore wind to current coal and nuclear prices yet in the future when those finite resources are on terminal decline and prices go through the roof and we are still reliant on them then you will be screaming for a windfarm on your doorstep.
That was only too evident during that last oil price hike.

ywindythesecond
13-May-09, 21:50
Yes I do.

If we fail to meet our environmental obligations in Scotland with the best renewable energy resource portfolio on the planet and with all the eyes of the world looking to us to put our environment intentions where our political mouths are, what chance does the planet have?

" all the eyes of the world looking to us"?

You and Alex Salmond perhaps? Get real Reggy! South Shebster windfarm is a spit in the ocean of climate change but it was a really big downer for the people of Shebster whose peaceful enjoyment of their homes you would like to sacrifice on your alter of save the planet. What makes this really bad is that you are a near neighbour of Shebster. If you really believe in what you say, why don't you do a door to door survey in Shebster and canvass support for your opinions, and be prepared to try to persuade folk to join with you in your one-man crusade to wreck Caithness and the lives of people living there. Sorry, two-man, Councillor Graeme Smith is on the same outer-space trajectory.
ywy2

Rheghead
13-May-09, 21:58
" all the eyes of the world looking to us"?

You and Alex Salmond perhaps? Get real Reggy! South Shebster windfarm is a spit in the ocean of climate change but it was a really big downer for the people of Shebster whose peaceful enjoyment of their homes you would like to sacrifice on your alter of save the planet. What makes this really bad is that you are a near neighbour of Shebster. If you really believe in what you say, why don't you do a door to door survey in Shebster and canvass support for your opinions, and be prepared to try to persuade folk to join with you in your one-man crusade to wreck Caithness and the lives of people living there. Sorry, two-man, Councillor Graeme Smith is on the same outer-space trajectory.
ywy2

Your words not mine. The heat really is on. I'm getting hot in here, my flowers are wilting. Lets just keep burning that coal...

How old are you? You won't see the worst effects of climate change, will you? Self interest? Genuine objector or irrational obsessive who has built his own cottage industry out of nimbyism?

The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.

bekisman
13-May-09, 22:19
"what have you done for the planet lately?" I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave some time ago; Double glazed all windows, did 12 inches of loft weft and weave back in 2006 (3 years before you!) Cavity walled house in 2007, every light in house is low energy - fraid don't cycle now (cripple), AND I've only posted 930 times.

"with all the eyes of the world looking to us" ? Yea right...

AND hope you are not using a polluting vehicle back-up on your Lands End to John O' Groats cycle?:)

Rheghead
13-May-09, 22:26
"what have you done for the planet lately?" I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave some time ago; Double glazed all windows, did 12 inches of loft weft and weave back in 2006 (3 years before you!) Cavity walled house in 2007, every light in house is low energy, AND I've only posted 930 times.
Glad to hear it.

["with all the eyes of the world looking to us" ? Yea right...

Yeah that's right.:)

[AND hope you are not using a polluting vehicle back-up on your Lands End to John O' Groats cycle?:)

Mrs wants a hol too. Dunno if you'll let her watch my progress. I know that mental illness has its own carbon footprint though.

If anyone wants to go with me next year please pm me. Should be a good craic. I will will be contacting those who gave positive responses to my thread in about a week's time.

bekisman
13-May-09, 22:54
"I will will be contacting those who gave positive responses to my thread in about a week's time."

Can't go myself, but put me on your list of 'how's it going'?

ywindythesecond
13-May-09, 23:48
Your words not mine. The heat really is on. I'm getting hot in here, my flowers are wilting. Lets just keep burning that coal...

How old are you? You won't see the worst effects of climate change, will you? Self interest? Genuine objector or irrational obsessive who has built his own cottage industry out of nimbyism?

The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
How much local support do you have for your views?

Rheghead
13-May-09, 23:56
How much local support do you have for your views?

The indication from the west caithness community survey definitely showed that the number of objectors to the Baillie windfarm were in the minority from the papers cast. It is always harder to get supporters to come out and vote than objectors.

Do you think that the chemical principle of Global Climate Change gives a damn about democracy anyway? What will stop climate change is a universal sense of purpose rather than selfishness or protectionism.

camor
15-May-09, 13:08
How can that work?

It would require a national strategy that would mean land is given over against the wishes of the land owner like in the Sino-model of how things been done. Compulsory purchase and all that.

Of course it would work. The infrastructure and distribution system capacity is already there for further expansion. Also, are you trying to tell me the land owner wouldn't accept further income for ground they have already partly handed over for wind turbine development. You need to get real Rhegi.

Rheghead
15-May-09, 13:11
Of course it would work. The infrastructure and distribution system capacity is already there for further expansion. Also, are you trying to tell me the land owner wouldn't accept further income for ground they have already partly handed over for wind turbine development. You need to get real Rhegi.

What is real is that land adjacent to existing windfarms do not always belong to the owner of the land on which the existing windfarm is situated.

You never thought of that did you? So it couldn't work to bunch them all together. We are supposed to live in a free society, if you want a windfarm, you apply for planning permission on your own land and then about 6 same old dedicated antiwind enthusiasts try to block it from happening. It's pretty simple.