PDA

View Full Version : Fun things to do on a weekend

squidge
09-May-09, 17:51
This is happening in a couple of weeks and we are there. Why dont yous all come along for the craic. Linlithgow palace is a fantastic venue and the jousters are magnificent in this wonderful setting. The Historic Saltire ( our re enactment group) will be there with new costumes for their swordfighters ( my fingers are raw) Plenty living history and great fun. My younger boy has his medieval games there so come challenge him to a bout of hefntafl. I'll teach you to spin with a drop spindle if you like and you will have a fabby time im sure.

Four great Scottish clans are preparing to clash in a grand tournament at Linlithgow Palace

More than 80 warriors representing the Campbells, Douglases, Hamiltons and Lindsays will do battle on 23 and 24 May during Party at the Palace 1503.

The weekend of Medieval pageantry will be among the biggest and most spectacular events of Scotland’s 2009 Year of Homecoming.

It commemorates the marriage of King James IV to Margaret Tudor in 1503 and the signing of the Treaty of Perpetual Peace with England.

Mounted knights, swordsmen, archers and other fighters will take part in a series of bouts, all trying to win enough points to have their clan declared champions.

The climax of the tournament will come when a total of 80 men go into the arena for a final mass clash, after which one clan will be declared the victors.

A website has been created at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/clash (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/clash) where people can find out more about the clans, their leaders at the tournament, and see the colours they will be fighting in.