PDA

View Full Version : Wont Boot UP

ashaw1
09-May-09, 16:40
My pc won't boot up, when it's switched on i don't even get the windows screen, can hear the tower ticking away but after the Acer screen (it's an acer pc) it stays black. Any ideas before i call in an expert?

Stefan
09-May-09, 18:49
Does it beep?

ashaw1
10-May-09, 09:07
Does it beep?

Yes it beeps!

ashaw1
10-May-09, 16:16
Have just tried it again and i'm stuck at the Acer screen which in the bottom left hand corner says: Del Enter Set Up or F12 Boot menu. Have tried both these options and nothing happens, have even bought a new keyboard just incase.

blueivy
11-May-09, 08:35
Have just tried it again and i'm stuck at the Acer screen which in the bottom left hand corner says: Del Enter Set Up or F12 Boot menu. Have tried both these options and nothing happens, have even bought a new keyboard just incase.

I'm assuming because you get the Acer screen up that the computer only beeps once? If it beeps more than that, can you count the long and short beeps?

How long have you left it on the Acer screen?

If you press Tab while it appears do you see anything else on the screen (unlikely if it won't even recognise Del but worth a try)?

Do the keyboard Caps Lock / Num Lock / Scroll Lock lights flash a few seconds after the computer is switched on? Are any of them on while the screen is 'stuck'?

My guess without seeing it is a failed drive, either hard drive, DVD / CD or floppy (if it has one) My money is on the hard drive.

S&LHEN
11-May-09, 08:58
How do you fix a failed hard drive?? Same has happened to my laptop at the top it says it cant recognise it says the same when I ran a check on it :(

blueivy
11-May-09, 09:21
How do you fix a failed hard drive?? Same has happened to my laptop at the top it says it cant recognise it says the same when I ran a check on it :(

Need to replace it. Hopefully you will have a backup? (otherwise you've most likely lost all your data).

A 80Gb laptop hard drive will run you about £40 new. A larger one isn't that much more expensive (around £60 for a 160Gb). IDE is more expensive than SATA (IDE is for older laptops, SATA for newer).

Matthew
11-May-09, 13:47
When you turn the computer on, it performs Power On System Test (POST), during which it checks and initializes the system's internal components.
If a serious error occurs, the computer does not display a message but emits a series of long and short beeps instead.
Beeps are your computer's way of letting you know what's going on when the video signal is not working.
These codes are built in to the BIOS of the PC.
There is no official standard for these codes due to the many brands of BIOS that are out there.

To decode the meaning of your computer POST beep codes you must consult the manual of your motherboard.
If you don't have a motherboard manual or if it's incomplete you must search on the site of your computer manufacturer.