PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR memories o' Mum and Dad?

Iffy
09-May-09, 14:55
What do remember of your childhood ? ....
I remember...

March ... it was legal to lite bonfires o old grass/rashes, we used to have a BRILLIANT time doing this (SAFELY!!) near by our house in the country !

April.... Mam would take us walks to see the "birdies" (lapwings) nests and we'd mark them VERY discreetly so we could go back every few days to watch the wee chicks develop and then leave the nest!

May - SO many early summers Mam would would pack a wee picnic to take down to the "shore" and we'd have "Robinsons" orange juice- which I thought was fantastic- a REAL treat !!!

June - My birthday month and my parents ALWAYS made it VERY special for me - i can still remember my 7th birthday party with THREE different types o' fizzy juice (Cola, Lemonade and orangeade!) - felt like I was a Princess!!

(Skipping a few months here !!!)

Winter time -

I'll NEVER forget my Mam playing with me and my brother in the snow - slides, snowmen and snow ball fights (which I HATED !!!).

Mam also took us on moonlight walks through the snow, when we could see the stars and any rabbit that thought to pop their heads out in the cold.......

I MISS HER and (I've no bairns) I hope that any orgers out there .... remembers your GOOD times with your child or your OWN childhood ... LETS PASS ON THE GOOD TIMES EH ??.....

squidge
09-May-09, 17:55
I remember romping around the living room floor sat on my dad's back whilst he pretended to be a horse or a dragon. I remember sitting on my mum and dad's bed watching my mum get dressed up in long dresses for special "dos" they went to. My dad was so handsome in his dinner jacket and my mum sparkled every time. I remember having stories read to me and i remember picnics at Hardcastle craggs and holidays in a caravan in torquay. SAndy sandwiches and we always went to a particular restaraunt for our specail night out. I think it was called the "Handsome Cab" and it had one of those pianos that played itself.

cuddlepop
09-May-09, 18:21
I remember when we lived in Glasgow going to the seaside at the weekend if we could afford it.We left early and stayed all day beach combing,walking, making dens in the sandunes and having fun in general. We alwas got a treat of a milkshake from the machine or an ice lolly.My favourite ice lolly was the one that was shaped as a heart and had a yummy raspberry center.If dad was wanting to go on a long walk we went up the trossachs.He would pitch the tent up and mum,my wee brother and myself would stay and explore around the burn.Our cans were kept cold in the running water and we'd eat our picnic.When we got older we all went hill walking.That probably why I love being outdoors so much.I was lucky to have had such a great childhood.

domino
09-May-09, 19:58
I rememember going down to the boat on which my father worked and getting a box of undersized haddock and selling them to Charlie Ball ( Fish and Chips) for 10/- (50 p)
Too many other memories to post on here

celtic lass
10-May-09, 09:44
what a lovely thread so many memories of my child hood with my mum and dad summer days of out to reiss beach picnic with egg sandwiches ,cola ,crisps and a 10p mixture all out of gibby's shop and not forgetting a couple o tins o lager [for my dad] god those were the days life seemed so simple back then

Mr P Cannop
10-May-09, 10:20
can any one mind when the taxis used to 50p/£1 ??

buddyrich
10-May-09, 10:24
Aye, that seems like a long time ago now. And there was a time when a fish supper didnt cost nearly a fiver!

teenybash
10-May-09, 12:00
So many memories of my Glasgow childhood, I could write a book.....
We lived in a singlend, my Mum and Dads first home and I remember them sitting by the side of the range, making a tufted carpet.
Each at opposite ends, with nimble fingers they worked the carpet hooks while I sat fascinated watching the brown sacking disappear under a multitude of colours................:)

orkneylass
10-May-09, 12:12
Sheer hell that took me 30 years to recover from.....

percy toboggan
10-May-09, 12:46
I only ever played one proper football match with my Dad.
He was 43 with a bad knee, I was thirteen with a passion for the game.
I remember taking an inswinging corner from the right - the ball - an almost brand new 'Mitre-Max' in white ( a new innovation back then) landed perfectly upon his head, he barely had to move. It was a fairly scratch game but we did have goal-nets. I had a lovely view of the bulge in the back of the onion bag and Ken's beaming face after his header rocketted in off his balding pate. A restrained thumbs up was all that was required but we spoke of it afterwards and I'll never forget that moment, even if I have forgotten the result.

Mum imbued me with a lov eof cinema. She'd walk me tothe local 'Forum' and sometimes take me six miles into Manchester on a red double-decker to see a Blockbuster ! The Gaumont on Oxford Street...where I would devour a 'Peach Melba' ice cream lolly, thinking they were really posh!

I remember 'The Longest Day' in those days you could buy a 'programme' with film details in it - a great memento...the film made a whopping impression on a small boy and I think of the cash, the effort and the love that motivated her to take me on so many memorable outings to 'the flix'.

gleeber
10-May-09, 19:30
Sheer hell that took me 30 years to recover from.....
Your lucky you recovered. :eek: