PDA

View Full Version : Tescos policy

superceltic
08-May-09, 22:25
Was in Tescos this eveing with my partner and amoungst our shopping was a case of lager, we used the self service and were approached by the checkout assistant for i.d, embarrased i had to go back to the car to get my drivers license and gave it to the woman she then asked me partner for i.d and he never had any i.d on him as it was myself that was bying the shopping. she then proceeded to inform us that she could not sell the alcohol to us as my partner had no i.d!!! after a dispute with her we asked to speak to a manager as the woman took her job far to seriously! she spoke to the manager a distance from us which i thought was very unprofesional as she should of explained and let us put our side of the dispute accross. They said they couldnt sell us the alcohol as my partner had no i.d so we put to them that if a father came in with his 16 year old son would he be refused if the son had no i.d??? i know its their job to ask for i.d but for god sakes get a grip!

*Martin*
08-May-09, 23:22
That's nothing I got ID'd for non alcoholic lager t'other week http://pics.miarroba.com/caretos/lol.gif

In fairness my mate had some bucks fizz (for his Mrs. allegedly).

The young lass at the till (who knew me) turned and asked the old bag beside her if it was ok to sell it to us. Old bag snarled in a monstrous fashion "have they got ID?"

My ID was in the car and there was no chance I was going back out for it (I had just spent several hours in A&E because a screw started coming out of my leg but that's another story)

So I said to ye olde bag "Why kind miss, I am only here to buy the beer of the non alcoholic nature. Why would I need ID? I wish to pay for my own whilst my companion will pay for his"

Between a mixture of flames and spit she growled back "Your with him and what he has is alcoholic"

So the young lass pipes up "I know him and he's over 20"

"Not good enough" snaps the beast

By this time a nice lady in a suit came along and asked what was wrong so I explained the predicament. The young lass said again "I know him and he's over 20" to which the suited lady said "OK serve them"

I commented that it was a bit much over some non alcoholic beers, so she studied case of beers and after 2 long and painful minutes...... "It has alcohol content" *turns over the package* "See, 0.05%"
(There's probably the same if not more beer in Shandy and I remember buying my 1st tin of Top Deck from the Spar in Mount Pleasant Road when I was 8!!!)

And away I went and got blazing!!!!

The old bat women commented that Tesco are soon planning to bring in "think 25" which will obviously make this situation even worse!!!

The whole thing was quite embarrassing and I'm just glad the manageress (Or whoever the suited lady was) sorted it so quickly!!
http://www.cindyvallar.com/par-ty.gif

ellie-lou
09-May-09, 00:23
yes i no tescos are known for being overly cautious for id.i actually work in a shop mysel where we sell alcohol and it can be quite hard at times to judge whos of age and whos not.but most shops now state with notices ie look under 25yrs of age then be prepared to be asked for id,and i dare say come the new laws from september its going to be tougher as it will be the actual shop assistant that will be prosecuted,fined etc if they are caught for selling alcohol to anyone underage.

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THIS WILL MAKE MYSELF EXTREMELY MORE CAUTIOUS!!

dx100uk
09-May-09, 00:30
no sorry
i must defend and compliment tescos.

the national guidelines [appears to be under 21] they are adhering too are there for a reason.

if the op and her friend appeared to be under 21, then ID should be checked.
as for the father and son issue, thats obviously not an issue if you think about it.

try living 100yrs down from tescos and clearing up the empty cans thrown in your garden every night from the kids that do get alcohol from there some how or washing down your garden wall which is used a fav p*ss stop.

dx

Rheghead
09-May-09, 03:44
The way I look at it is if you're going in to buy drink then you are consenting to being asked to prove your age. No buts or may bes, end of.

But if someone thinks I need to provide prove of my age then I'd buy them a drink as well.:lol:

Matthew
09-May-09, 06:43
With Tescos' 'think 21' changing to 'think 25' on 25th May I can only suggest that people start bringing proof of age with them when coming to any shop to buy an age restricted product. Many forms of ID are accepted such as Driving licence, passport, citizencard or any ID card with the 'Pass' hologram and photographic ID.

Customer assistants and the store can be prosecuted and/or fined up to £5000 and the customer assistant will also get a criminal record for selling to somebody under age. I dont think any customer assistant would want that.

You can apply for a citizenscard online here: http://www.citizencard.com/

phil1958
09-May-09, 11:38
Dont know about tescos but i remember going to bin ends in wick and beind refused achohol by the old woman there as she said it was for someone else even tho i was alone and well over 40 so i asked to speak to her boss and he respected her wishes as she said i was buyin it for someone else and that was agains the law so when i told him he breaks the law every day he looked bemused as i explaned that under agers get taxi drivers to pick up there drink or did the old woman and him think it was for the taxi driver ..dont think so and i told him he had double standards but hopefully he has now stoppped givin drink to taxi drivers other wise they are still breaking the law ..maybe the police should have a word with taxi service also to put a stop to under agers getting drink this way...

EDDIE
09-May-09, 12:10
The check out assistant was only doing there job and quite right to

ShelleyCowie
09-May-09, 12:35
I love getting asked for ID sometimes. Makes me feel like a spring chicken. Plus im only 20! :cool:

But when me and my OH were in Portree we were getting some shopping from their lovely wee Coop. My OH was buying his mum some wine and he got a few Smirnoff Ice's too. He got asked for ID and he was over the moon because he is 27. Trust me....he looks his age! (thank goodness he wont be reading this) :lol:

joxville
09-May-09, 13:01
This country's policies get more ridiculous by the day. An 18yr old can go in a pub to buy alcohol but not an off-licence??? You couldn't make it up. [disgust]

ANNIE
09-May-09, 18:46
I know the age is 21 but i was aked for id and i'm 42 and definatly dont look 21 ( i wish ) :) needless to say i was a bit embarrased. I was in the other week and bought 6 bottles of wine i had my 15 year old with me the cashier asked was the wine for me. Now would i really be buying 6 bottles of wine for a 15 year old and if i was was i really going to say yes no i dont think so

poppett
09-May-09, 19:15
In thoery does this mean that a mature man or woman can not buy drink for adult consumption in their own home if shopping with their children in tow?

Agree there should be firm rules to stop underage drinking and older folk buying drink for kids, but this is getting silly, and I don`t drink alcohol so it only affects me if I am behind the folk ahead of me in the queue having a dispute with the checkout operator.

golach
09-May-09, 19:39
Simple answer, if you dont want my money I will go somewhere else, I canna see the problem.

Dadie
09-May-09, 21:59
I could do with a wee boost so if they want to ask me for id I would be chuffed.But usually go shopping with my kids Lauren nearly 3 and Iona 1 next week but they wont be drinking the alcohol .... Hubby and I wont be either as I only buy the cheap stuff I use for cooking with anyway!

butterfly
09-May-09, 23:08
Any drink which has 0.5%abv(alcohol by volume)is defined as being alcoholic.
Selling alcohol or any other age restricted product to anyone under age is an offence which could lead to a personal and store fine and/or prosecution.
Even if you know that the customer is 19 and wants to purchase alcohol id will still be requested by the shop assistant.No id no sale.
The shop/store is required by law to help prevent crime and disorder,public nuisance,help secure public safety,protect children from harm and improve health within Scotland.All organisations and individuals in the licensing industry must uphold these five licensing objectives.Failure to do so could result in their license being revoked,personal prosecution or even a prison sentence.

butterfly
09-May-09, 23:48
This country's policies get more ridiculous by the day. An 18yr old can go in a pub to buy alcohol but not an off-licence??? You couldn't make it up. [disgust]

The same rules apply to pubs and clubs too.They must ask for id and if they dont they are breaking the licensing laws.

Buttercup
10-May-09, 01:35

You can buy alcohol in an off-licence at 18. The "Think 21 rule" is that if the assistant thinks someone looks under 21 they will be asked for proof of age.

butterfly
10-May-09, 03:35
Was in Tescos this eveing with my partner and amoungst our shopping was a case of lager, we used the self service and were approached by the checkout assistant for i.d, embarrased i had to go back to the car to get my drivers license and gave it to the woman she then asked me partner for i.d and he never had any i.d on him as it was myself that was bying the shopping. she then proceeded to inform us that she could not sell the alcohol to us as my partner had no i.d!!! after a dispute with her we asked to speak to a manager as the woman took her job far to seriously! she spoke to the manager a distance from us which i thought was very unprofesional as she should of explained and let us put our side of the dispute accross. They said they couldnt sell us the alcohol as my partner had no i.d so we put to them that if a father came in with his 16 year old son would he be refused if the son had no i.d??? i know its their job to ask for i.d but for god sakes get a grip!

The shop assistant did nowt wrong here,she abided by the licensing laws.As your friend was with you but had no id she was quite right in refusing the sale.To stop this repeatedly happening it's better for your friend to get photo id even if he is 18 or over.If he looks under 25 he will be refused without it.Signs warning you of this have to be displayed on the premise entrance,around the store and at the tills so really you would have known you would be asked before you reached the tills.It's better to be prepared than risk "embarassment".

Aaldtimer
10-May-09, 03:38

No Jox, the 18 year old can buy any alcohol drinks with proof of age no problem. :D

tomacomen
10-May-09, 13:23
its a joke. if an underager wants drink they can get it somewhere, and thats the case all over the country.

The last few times ive bought alcohol from tescos ive not had a problem, however there was one case where i was id'd 3 times in 3 days by the same cashier (no, im not an alchy!)! now, what i dont understand is how someone cant remember someone who they've id'd the 2 previous days!

sorry to say, but some of the staff seem like complete jobsworths out for extra brownie points, or mabye they've just got a little bit of power and are abusing it. who knows?!

superceltic
10-May-09, 19:35
The shop assistant did nowt wrong here,she abided by the licensing laws.As your friend was with you but had no id she was quite right in refusing the sale.To stop this repeatedly happening it's better for your friend to get photo id even if he is 18 or over.If he looks under 25 he will be refused without it.Signs warning you of this have to be displayed on the premise entrance,around the store and at the tills so really you would have known you would be asked before you reached the tills.It's better to be prepared than risk "embarassment".

Yes but the ridiculous thing is I had i.d and my partner looks 20 odd!! he has no i.d as he does not drive. and why should he fork out for an i.d card just because that silly old woman in tescos was being stubborn!! and the best of it all ~~~ my partner worked in tescos doing night shift for a while and you have to be over 18 to do so and the manager we spoke to knew him!! its bloody rediculous!! but never the less we went to somerfield and got a bargain!!

butterfly
10-May-09, 20:24
Yes but the ridiculous thing is I had i.d and my partner looks 20 odd!! he has no i.d as he does not drive. and why should he fork out for an i.d card just because that silly old woman in tescos was being stubborn!! and the best of it all ~~~ my partner worked in tescos doing night shift for a while and you have to be over 18 to do so and the manager we spoke to knew him!! its bloody rediculous!! but never the less we went to somerfield and got a bargain!!

If your partner does not want to fork out for id that is up to him,but he will find that in the future all shops and stores will be asking for id so not having one means no sale.Even if the manager did know he was over 18,if the checkout assistant asks for proof then it is her that needs it because it is her that is selling it to you so it will be her that needs the proof.After all it will be her that faces the huge fine not the manager .

butterfly
10-May-09, 20:29
its a joke. if an underager wants drink they can get it somewhere, and thats the case all over the country.

The last few times ive bought alcohol from tescos ive not had a problem, however there was one case where i was id'd 3 times in 3 days by the same cashier (no, im not an alchy!)! now, what i dont understand is how someone cant remember someone who they've id'd the 2 previous days!

sorry to say, but some of the staff seem like complete jobsworths out for extra brownie points, or mabye they've just got a little bit of power and are abusing it. who knows?!

They are not jobsworths,they are acting within the law.Do you have any idea how many people a checkout assistant can serve in a day?!No harm is being done by asking for id.It only takes a minute...........

tomacomen
10-May-09, 21:28
but doesnt common sense and judgement take even less? espeicially when as it has been said, people have proved their age beforehand?

superceltic
11-May-09, 22:34

I would totally agree with u there, i was in tescos today getting some shopping and guess what......i witnessed an underager purchasing alcohol right infront of me and the assistant didnt even flinch to ask for i.d and i thought well well.......i am well above the age to purchase alcohol and i was refused but yet a 17 year old bought a case of lager......come on tescos

butterfly
11-May-09, 23:53
I would totally agree with u there, i was in tescos today getting some shopping and guess what......i witnessed an underager purchasing alcohol right infront of me and the assistant didnt even flinch to ask for i.d and i thought well well.......i am well above the age to purchase alcohol and i was refused but yet a 17 year old bought a case of lager......come on tescos

Well then you should have spoke up and brought your concerns to the manager.................................:roll:

butterfly
11-May-09, 23:58
[quote=tomacomen;546823]but doesnt common sense and judgement take even less?

Look,its common sense for the assistant to ask for id if she/he is not sure what age the buyer is.Think about it.:roll:

superceltic
12-May-09, 20:57
:rolleyes:[quote=Look,its common sense for the assistant to ask for id if she/he is not sure what age the buyer is.Think about it.

Well then you should have spoke up and brought your concerns to the manager................................. [/quote]

Why should i when its common sense for the assistant to ask.......not my job......they i.d people who are clearly of age to purchase alcohol and refuse when they have i.d but yet a 17 year old can walk in purchase alcohol no questions asked and leave......where is the common sense there.....i rest my case TESCOS POLICY = RUBBISH :eyes:rolleyes:

golach
12-May-09, 21:31
The Till operators are prompted by their tills every time alcohol items are scanned, if they are in doubt , they have to ask, its more than their jobs worth.

butterfly
12-May-09, 23:39
The Till operators are prompted by their tills every time alcohol items are scanned, if they are in doubt , they have to ask, its more than their jobs worth.

Thank's Golach,for some common sense!

butterfly
14-May-09, 02:58
TESCOS POLICY = RUBBISH

You just dont get it do you???!!!!
It's the licensing law not Tesco policy.Get it now?!!Take your time!;)

Aaldtimer
14-May-09, 03:08

Actually, you are quite wrong. It is not the law, it is Tesco's policy. :roll:

newpark
14-May-09, 07:06
You should have left the lager finished paying sent your OH out to the car with the shopping and gone back in on your own and bought the lager. There is nothing they can do if you are on your own and have id.

lister
14-May-09, 17:17
Auldtimer you need to read up on this subject.
Its the law from the government for all licenced premises.
Speak to anyone who works in the trade and it'll become clear.

dx100uk
15-May-09, 00:42
doh!
some people are just ...........

dx

butterfly
15-May-09, 03:21
doh!
some people are just ...........

dx

Yeah i know..............;)

Aaldtimer
15-May-09, 03:57
Auldtimer you need to read up on this subject.
Its the law from the government for all licenced premises.
Speak to anyone who works in the trade and it'll become clear.

As far as I can find, and yes I have searched, there is no LAW which requires anyone to look 21/25 years of age to be able to buy alcohol.
This may be a Government recommendation, but I can't find that on any of the woeful sites that I have looked at either.
If Tesco or any other outlet make that their policy, then that's their decision, not the LAW.
The LAW is that anyone over the age of 18 years can buy any alcoholic product, end of.
If you can provide links to any reliable sources I'd be only to pleased to be proved wrong. :confused

maverick
15-May-09, 09:01
Superceltic I'm with you on this, from your post it has become clear to me that you were the person doing the transaction with tesco, and when asked for proof of age you rightly obliged. The sales assistant should have been happy with that and no one else in the party should have been asked for ID as you were the person making the purchase. As your other half was there with you at the time is in fact irrelevant as far as the law is concerned and the sales assistant should not have asked him for ID as he was not making the purchase. tesco in my opinion have gone to far on this occasion. It should not matter who is in the party with you when you make your purchase as long as you have satisfied the legal requirement with regards to proof of age, sales assistants should also realise that common sense is not very common in tesco. After all if you have a pint of milk in your fridge I don't suppose it means that you would have a cow in your back garden.

butterfly
15-May-09, 11:26

It's the Scottish Licensing rule and Tesco's and any other licensed outlet are required by law to adhere to it.You are right you can buy alcohol if you are 18 or over but without id licensed premises will adhere to the "think 25"rule.

lister
15-May-09, 15:54
As far as I can find, and yes I have searched, there is no LAW which requires anyone to look 21/25 years of age to be able to buy alcohol.
This may be a Government recommendation, but I can't find that on any of the woeful sites that I have looked at either.
If Tesco or any other outlet make that their policy, then that's their decision, not the LAW.
The LAW is that anyone over the age of 18 years can buy any alcoholic product, end of.
If you can provide links to any reliable sources I'd be only to pleased to be proved wrong. :confused

Cannae be bothered .
You just want to attack Tescos as it seems you have a grudge against it.
Everyone who works for a retail company that sells alcohol has been informed about the change to selling regulations but you still dont believe so no matter what i or the government say you wont believe as you will argue all the way .sophistry is a word you should look up too!

Bloo
15-May-09, 16:26
Thats is totally idiotic. Whats it coming to now? I was once asked for ID when i bought a non-alcoholic drink. It was an energy drink and i was asked for ID?!?!

Aaldtimer
15-May-09, 20:31
Cannae be bothered .
You just want to attack Tescos as it seems you have a grudge against it.
Everyone who works for a retail company that sells alcohol has been informed about the change to selling regulations but you still dont believe so no matter what i or the government say you wont believe as you will argue all the way .sophistry is a word you should look up too!

How either of my posts can be interpreted as being anti-Tesco I cannot comprehend!:confused
I'm very much in favour of Tesco, (and Matalan, Asda etc. for that matter), and shop there quite regularly.
Sophistry...sheesh, don't need to look it up, been in the vocabulary for many a long year...too many!:eek:

Aaldtimer
15-May-09, 21:14
It's the Scottish Licensing rule and Tesco's and any other licensed outlet are required by law to adhere to it.You are right you can buy alcohol if you are 18 or over but without id licensed premises will adhere to the "think 25"rule.

From this site http://www.offlicencenews.co.uk/articles/69844/Under-25s-must-provide-ID.aspx?categoryid=9068

"Drinks retailers in the UK are to start demanding ID from any customers who appear to be under 25.
Leading trade associations believe that switching from the current Challenge 21 system to Challenge 25 will make further progress in the battle against under-age sales.
The new policy has been agreed by the Retail of Alcohol Standards Group, which represents the off-trade in discussions with the government."

butterfly
15-May-09, 21:39
So it's not just "Tesco's policy" then!;)

Aaldtimer
15-May-09, 21:45
So it's not just "Tesco's policy" then!;)

I never said it was their's alone! :confused

golach
15-May-09, 23:59

I never said it was their's alone! :confused
Sadly you did aaldtimer.......

dx100uk
16-May-09, 01:30
go try gettting a licence and say you refuse to abide by gov't guidelines.....................council nor police will not grant it.

anyway full circle.

this weeks total cans is 12, 3 tonight.
its a real shame i cant post pixs of these darlings 'cause it is sadly, always the same bunch.
and there is no way they are getting served at the tills, about 14-16yrs, so someone is going in and buying the stuff for them.

dx

tomacomen
16-May-09, 01:32
sorry to say like, but i think auldtimers right.

im not here to play the opposite half to butterfly and lister like it may be thought, but when you read the proposition, like you've quoted, there are no laws passed here.

Aultdtimers right in saying that the only law present is that only 18+ are allowed to purchase alcohol. The ages 21 and 25 are not included in the law. The "think 21" and "think 25" are a SUGGESTED scheme to stop underage drinking.

I think i have, like many others, made there oppostion to the "think" rules clear. I would like butterfly and Lister to acknowledge that this is a public forum that encourages public opinions. Shooting down opinions because "they do no meet the "licensing laws"", which sorry to say i think you are both quite out of touch with, does not make for suitable public debate.

We are not trying to badmouth Tesco's, nor any other establishment. We are only speaking from experience.

butterfly
16-May-09, 02:28
Tomacomen,you have stated your view the same as me,there is no-one "shooting" anyone down here!
Aaldtimer,your link was dated 15th January 09.Things have moved on a bit since then as this paragraph from your link quotes "we will shortly consult on a new mandatory code of practice for alcohol retailers,setting out tough new licensing conditions to help tackle alcohol related crime and disorder".

As i have passed my alcohol license again recently i can assure you Tomacomen what i have said on here i know to be fact.The goverment,police and licensing board are working together with retailers to crack down on all underage related sales.You say i am out of touch?! I think it is not me that is out of touch.END OF>

butterfly
16-May-09, 02:44
[quote=dx100uk;549080]go try gettting a licence and say you refuse to abide by gov't guidelines.....................council nor police will not grant it.

Exactly!

tomacomen
16-May-09, 02:54
butterfly,
I do understand that as you do have your license you probably do have a good knowlege of what the law says, however it does state that people over the age of 18 are allowed to buy alcohol. I would imagine that you would agree with me that if a law was passed that the legal age was 18, why then would you make sure that someone was 7 years over the legal age before making a sale? It seems stupid to me that after reaching the legal age we have to then nearly wait a decade before we are sold without prejudice.

I would propose raising the purchasing age to 21, this would then make the selling of alcohol easier as im sure you'd agree that there is a great difference between the look of a 16-18 year old and a 21+ year old.

Im not trying to be a nuisance here, but im trying to say that as a 21 year old, i do find it really annoying that I get ID'd buying a bottle of wine etc!

I see that the problem of underage drinking is serious in the UK, however i do not believe that the "think 25" rule will make any difference. As it has been said before, if a sole person was to go in and buy 2 crates of beer, 3 bottles of vodka and 12 bottles of wkd and provided ID they would be sold. What happens though if they were buying for someone stood outside the shop. The "think 25" rule works fine in theory, but in reality what underage drinker is going to stand in the que with the purchaser?

I think that a whole re-evaluation of the culture towards drinking in the UK is in need of a change. I live in the city, im 21 and im pretty pissed off most of the time with the completely stupid drinking that goes on. Sure i like a dram and a good nite like all the rest, but where does a good nite stop and a mess of a nite start?

I believe that increasing the price of alcohol, along with the enforcing of the 18+ rule only will reduce the binge drinking culture. If you keep increasing the age, it only becomes cooler for the underagers to do.

hope i dont seem twattish with this post, i just hope i can put my point of view across like!

butterfly
16-May-09, 03:19
[quote=tomacomen;549087] As it has been said before, if a sole person was to go in and buy 2 crates of beer, 3 bottles of vodka and 12 bottles of wkd and provided ID they would be sold. What happens though if they were buying for someone stood outside the shop.

You do have a valid point there.How are we to know?Well if you were to buy the alcohol then later give it to underagers it's you and not us that would be prosecuted.The "think 25" rule is really there as a safety net for those selling the alcohol.You can still drink at 18,but buying it means that you will always need photo id.Unless you look a very old and haggered 18!Putting the price of alcohol up in my opinion is not a good idea.That will only penalise those that drink in moderation.The goverment should ban those cheap drinks aimed at the young folk like blue wkd and bacardi breezers.Sherry is cheap too but in all my time selling drink i have never seen the underagers go for that yet!

This has been a good debate though!

Aaldtimer
16-May-09, 03:34
Tomacomen,you have stated your view the same as me,there is no-one "shooting" anyone down here!
Aaldtimer,your link was dated 15th January 09.Things have moved on a bit since then as this paragraph from your link quotes "we will shortly consult on a new mandatory code of practice for alcohol retailers,setting out tough new licensing conditions to help tackle alcohol related crime and disorder".

As i have passed my alcohol license again recently i can assure you Tomacomen what i have said on here i know to be fact.The goverment,police and licensing board are working together with retailers to crack down on all underage related sales.You say i am out of touch?! I think it is not me that is out of touch.END OF>

Exactly...
"Things have moved on a bit since then as this paragraph from your link quotes "we will shortly consult on a new mandatory code of practice for alcohol retailers,setting out tough new licensing conditions to help tackle alcohol related crime and disorder"...

And I'm quite in agreement with these efforts.
But they are not enshrined in LAW, yet!
That is the only point which I have been trying to get across.

I'm am as concerned, as the average citizen, as to the feral behaviour of the youth of this country apropos under age drinking and all the rest of the unsocial behaviour that goes on caused by this, I think parents should really be asking themselves "Do I know what my kids are up to?".

Until parents start to monitor their children's activities, I don't see anything changing.:(

Tomacomen, thank you for your support.

I might just add that my OH works in an off sales establishment and has to deal with these problems on a dailly basis.

tomacomen
16-May-09, 03:40
Thats what i get annoyed about the "think 21" and "think 25" rules for! For the vast majority of people, they aren't buying booze for underagers, they aren't underage themselves yet they are still subjected to the ID'ing policy.

Sure, i have no problem when getting ID'd at the door of a club but when im buying a bottle of wine or 4 cans of lager its a load more annoying. All i would like is a little more common sense used rather than the "ID EVERYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 30" system that seems to be rife in supermarkets nowadays.

I think i have said before, the types of alcohol bought often reveal something about the buyers age, or the age group they are bought for. You have said yourself, drinks like WKD are more popular with youngsters than they are older folk (sherry drinkers!) whereas there are spirits at the same price that do not sell as well.

I see your point about the not increasing the price of all alcohol as this would be horrible to the vast majority or people, but i do believe that you've said in a previous post that the law is there to also improve health.

As alcohol is the number one killer in the UK and a major drain on NHS resources, would it not seem like more sense to make serious cut backs on booze or just out price it altogether? I like a drink as much as anyone else, but when you take a step back and have a look at the whole system (i.e money spent on operations, kidney problems, alcoholism, the crime associated with alcoholism, the carry on that happens every weekend etc and the money gained from taxes on alcohol) it does seem to make sense to stop the availabilty of booze until the current generations stop seeing it as a "right" and the attitudes towards drink change.

pretty harsh stuff coming from a "youngster" wouldnt you agree!! haha!

butterfly
16-May-09, 03:55
Point taken aaldtimer!
Can i say something on behalf of all those checkout operators?We are bloody terrified of putting a foot wrong with the regulations.The onus is on us now not the outlet we work for.Years ago it was the shop that got the heavy fine,now the retail establishment have passed the buck on to the checkout assistants.Each and everyone of them have to sit their alcohol licence now and adhere to the rules and woe betide if they slip up!We regularly get test purchases from the police,which means the police send in a fleet of underagers to see if we are breaking the rules.Each time a sale is refused because of no id there is paper work to be filled in.That book gets checked by the police everytime an underager is caught intoxicated with alcohol.
We dont ask for id because of "power",we dont want a huge fine,instant dismissal and a criminal record!

Aaldtimer
16-May-09, 04:32
Point taken aaldtimer!
Can i say something on behalf of all those checkout operators?We are bloody terrified of putting a foot wrong with the regulations.The onus is on us now not the outlet we work for.Years ago it was the shop that got the heavy fine,now the retail establishment have passed the buck on to the checkout assistants.Each and everyone of them have to sit their alcohol licence now and adhere to the rules and woe betide if they slip up!We regularly get test purchases from the police,which means the police send in a fleet of underagers to see if we are breaking the rules.Each time a sale is refused because of no id there is paper work to be filled in.That book gets checked by the police everytime an underager is caught intoxicated with alcohol.
We dont ask for id because of "power",we dont want a huge fine,instant dismissal and a criminal record!

I know exactly what you mean butterfly!
It's the "blame" culture.
As signified by the "Litigious" culture adopted from across the Atlantic!
Let's find somebody to blame so that we can sue them for letting a perpetrator commit their offence! [disgust]

superceltic
16-May-09, 18:14

I am a scottish personal license holder and that clearly states if the purchaser has suitable photographic I.d being a drivers license, passport or citizens I.d card and are in a fit soaber state then there is no reason what so ever to refuse the sale!!!! So unless u r argueing that tescos is the law then I suggest u finish ur rediculous posts. I was just letting everyone know how ridiculous tescos were being. Do u work for tescos or something??? LOL

superceltic
16-May-09, 18:26
You should have left the lager finished paying sent your OH out to the car with the shopping and gone back in on your own and bought the lager. There is nothing they can do if you are on your own and have id.

I said that to the manager and he says he would still refuse me so to save the embarrasment, we just went to somerfield. But thinking back I should of done that cause they would have made themselves out to be even bigger idiots refusing someone with legal I.d:lol:

superceltic
16-May-09, 18:32
Superceltic I'm with you on this, from your post it has become clear to me that you were the person doing the transaction with tesco, and when asked for proof of age you rightly obliged. The sales assistant should have been happy with that and no one else in the party should have been asked for ID as you were the person making the purchase. As your other half was there with you at the time is in fact irrelevant as far as the law is concerned and the sales assistant should not have asked him for ID as he was not making the purchase. tesco in my opinion have gone to far on this occasion. It should not matter who is in the party with you when you make your purchase as long as you have satisfied the legal requirement with regards to proof of age, sales assistants should also realise that common sense is not very common in tesco. After all if you have a pint of milk in your fridge I don't suppose it means that you would have a cow in your back garden.

THANK YOU!! Someone with common sense at last! I was beginning to give up!! I was just letting people know of my experience in tescos. Thought this was the recommendations forum where everybody could express their opinions.....

telfordstar
17-May-09, 14:00
How about if you look under 21 or think you might get asked for ID, carry ID. Simples.

Rheghead
17-May-09, 14:04
I am wondering why Tesco do not open their booze aisles until 12.30pm on a Sunday. I thought licencing hours were from 12pm onward or do Tesco have different hours to their off-licence?

Seems a bit daft when you can pick up other booze from the other aisles that weren't roped off.:confused

horsegirl
17-May-09, 20:16
Tesco are taking it a bit far. I understand that they have to be aware of underage drinking but when you go in one week and doing ur normal shop that has some alchol in it and never get proofed and then go in the next week, have a wee shop and get proofed. its not good. Used to do my shopping in there every week till this happened. I am 29. I never carry proof with me as i have not been proofed since i was 19 and now everytime in tesco. Now that is taking the biscuit. Wont be doing my shopping there again.

Oh another point if i cant get it in the shop Why do they deliver it to homes and never ask for proof.

Matthew
18-May-09, 15:10
Seems a bit daft when you can pick up other booze from the other aisles that weren't roped off.:confused

The till will not allow the checkout operator to scan alcohol before 12:30 anyway.

Fluff
18-May-09, 19:12
Matthew, does that mean you get it for free then? hmm, that would be good lol

misty woman
18-May-09, 21:07
I am wondering why Tesco do not open their booze aisles until 12.30pm on a Sunday. I thought licencing hours were from 12pm onward or do Tesco have different hours to their off-licence?

Seems a bit daft when you can pick up other booze from the other aisles that weren't roped off.:confusedIt is 12.30pm everywhere,it is against the law to sell alcohol before this time on a sunday.

emc246
20-May-09, 00:45
Why is it that people up here always have to be so pernickety about the service recieved in supermarkets and retail outlets? U should feel lucky there is a Tescos up here now as people were moaning for years about not having a big supermarket local. If it is Tescos policy to not sell alcohol to people who look under 21 (and by the end of this month onwards, not to sell it to those who look under 25), without ID, then u must abide by that rule. Can't people understand that the people who work for the place are doing their job, which they are trained to do. They could get a hefty fine, criminal record and loose their job if they sell to underage people or if a manager saw them sell and not ask for ID. All people need to do is carry ID with them, how hard can that be?
Always moan, moan, moan. Try working for somewhere like Tescos and then start moaning. You can't understand at all how their training and policies work unless you have worked there or a similiar place yourself.
Don't you think it's hard enough working there without dealing with people constantly moaning and grumping over the slightest thing?
If I got asked for ID and didn't have it then that's TOUGH. People should know the law by now so think about it - carry ID before going to buy alcohol in the first place.

tomacomen
20-May-09, 00:52
no really pernickerty, its just a stupid scheme thats being brought in across the board. i think you'll find that people do accept that they may be id'd, but its also been discussed that if the legal age is 18, why are we still being questioned 7 years later.

as for the moaning, if you work at tescos or any retail outlet, you work with the public. they moan. get a grip.

as for policies, yeh, did the typical supermarket stint a while back. management system and treatment of staff not for me so i can sympathise with the being worried about being caught out. half the time i found the managers just gave you hell when they got hell!

to the mod's, i know its not my topic like, but man, here we are on page 4 and its the same thing over and over. collectively were not going to agree on something but i think all avenues of the debate have been exhausted now!!