PDA

View Full Version : sheep dressing

htwood
22-Oct-03, 18:27
Although I live in a highly agricultural area with plenty of coos and sheep, I've never heard of sheep dressing as a contest or event. An overactive mind could have great fun with it.
Details please? :cool: Thanks, H

Anonymous
22-Oct-03, 20:01
:confused What do they dress em in? i would like to no :eek:

golach
22-Oct-03, 20:04
I hev heard o Mutton dressed lek Lamb......but Sheep Dressing????
Golach

jjc
22-Oct-03, 20:08
It's like a salad dressing - but thicker so it doesn't run off when they stand up.

htwood
22-Oct-03, 20:37
ok ok, now we have heard from some of the previously mentioned overactive minds :eyes
When I dress a chicken for Sunday dinner, believe me, it does not include tiny jackets to go over their tiny wings.

C'mon Caithnessians, someone must have attended the sheep-dressing event mentioned on the front pages of CCWS. Telll Allll plz? -H

George Brims
23-Oct-03, 01:06
Sheep dressing is making the sheep look more presentable for sale. When I was a lad (cue Hovis advert music) we used to have to do this to the lambs that were going to the lamb sales in Thurso. Someone was telling me that fashions have changed, and people no longer use a nasty orange-tinged sheep dip to colour the wool as was common back then (my dad hated it and just used the regular dip). The other part of the process was whitening the lambs' faces. Some kind of white powder went in a muslin bag, which you dipped in a bucket of water and dapped on the sheeps' faces. It was an amusing job for the first ten or so. Unfortunately there were dozens, or probably more like hundreds. :(

Helen. don't you add those wee paper ruffle things to the chickens' legs?

golach
23-Oct-03, 19:57
I know a way to make a sheep go really white...............whisper "Mint Sauce" in his lowg
Golach

htwood
23-Oct-03, 20:06
George, do you help your wife with her makeup then :eek:

A Google search shows many versions of sheep dressing:

Best way to gut a sheep in New Zealand (major meat packing site)
A school fundraiser in state of Oregon featuring actual dressing of sheep in shirts pants and ties . (timed event with children, lambs and much shouting)
Best way to dip sheep using blowfly dressing in Australia. (ewwwww)

George, I like yours best, less stressful for both lambs and workers. I sure learned more than I ever needed to know about sheep dressing, and none of them included an oatmeal stuffing.