PDA

View Full Version : Dry dog food.

cuddlepop
08-May-09, 16:25
Has anyone else got a dog that reacts like their on blue smarties when given dry dog food.We stopped giving Scorrie Wagg because it made him madder than usual and now its the same reaction with another.

Liz
08-May-09, 17:05
Benjy doesn't eat dry foods and I avoid colourings as on the odd occasion when has had this in a treat or something he goes doolally. Well more than usual!lol

So not sure whether there are colourings in the foods you have given Cuddlepop?

cazmanian_minx
08-May-09, 18:20
Smokey is on Skinners Field and Trial, which is a dry, hypo-allergenic working dog food and is very chilled out.

cuddlepop
08-May-09, 19:13
Benjy doesn't eat dry foods and I avoid colourings as on the odd occasion when has had this in a treat or something he goes doolally. Well more than usual!lol

So not sure whether there are colourings in the foods you have given Cuddlepop?

Its the only think thats different just now so it must be the dry dog food.Our other wee dog doesnt behave as if she's been on the irn bru.A Beardie on "hyper juice" is some site. I can assure you ,you dont want to have to handle lol.

Liz
08-May-09, 19:25
Hee hee. I can imagine!:lol:

Have you tried James Wellbeloved as this is a good food.

floyed
08-May-09, 19:42
I must check Bo's food and treats as he can be quite hyper too, didn't relise this could effect puppys dogs too!:eek:

teenybash
08-May-09, 19:58
Probably one of the best foods that gives all the basics needed...without hitting the hyper button, is Wilsons meal..........nothing fancy in it.

Love Scorrie by the way....I bet he is just a ball of mad, funny furry and very fluffy energy....[lol]

Sage
08-May-09, 20:28
check the percentage of protein in the dog food...if its really high it may be making the dog more bouncy - working dogs need more energy so there's a high protein level in the food.

Liz
08-May-09, 22:34
check the percentage of protein in the dog food...if its really high it may be making the dog more bouncy - working dogs need more energy so there's a high protein level in the food.

Very good point Sage.:D

cuddlepop
09-May-09, 12:30

Thanks Sage I had no idea too much protein could be to blame,will check %

Sage
10-May-09, 20:17
Its something Im always doing :roll:

lets hope the blue smartie effect wears off soon :D

Absolut1
10-May-09, 20:43
Try Oscars dry foods our dogs have been on them for 9 yrs with no probs

teenybash
10-May-09, 23:23
I have a sneaky feeling Scorrie may well be a 'blue smartie' for a wee while yet.....all that youthful exuberance...regardless of food.;)

cuddlepop
11-May-09, 08:05
I have a sneaky feeling Scorrie may well be a 'blue smartie' for a wee while yet.....all that youthful exuberance...regardless of food.;)

He's now developed a wee trick of flicking his tail so he can get the bird food of their table.
He's decided that aswell as OH power tolls,especially the angle grinder he wants a helicopter for a "playmate"
Motorbikes are his new best friends.

All this and he hasnt left the garden yet.:lol:

shazzy
11-May-09, 11:32
it probably is the protein,when ours are working,we give them higher protein food for more energy.:D