PDA

View Full Version : New traffic lights?

floyed
08-May-09, 11:40
Does any other drivers out there think that the new traffic lights beside the trampolines change to quickly??

Also is anyone using the lights to get across the road?? It seems to me (in my opinion) that most people are still choosing to cross from the Petrol Station to the Lunch Box not using the green man to get across.

I also think the layout is a bit weird to get to mckeljohns if you are coming from dempster street way, for example you have to go petrol station to bike shop then bakery to trampolines then trampolines to mckeljohns! Does anyone else think this strange:eek:

Why didn't they put one from petrol station to Lunch Box, this is the way that most people cross??

I have no argument with having them, i think there are a really good idea but not planned very well (in my opinion)!
Maybe there is a good explanation!

dirdyweeker
08-May-09, 12:23
You can cross anyway as the lights are all on red at the same time.
Not another set of crossing lights at the 'Dunnets to Meiklejohns' as it is something to do with having too many on a short distance of trunk road. (I believe)
Happy crossing where-ever you are going!:) It is 100% better and safer than before.

katarina
08-May-09, 12:31
the pedestrian crossing is where it is for access to the hospital and playing fields. And I agree the lights change too quickly - and there should be a filter arrow for turning left or right. I have often found myself still in the middle when the lights change which means I'm turning on a red light, but can hardly reverse. It's a wonder there hasn't been more accidents.

Tighsonas4
08-May-09, 12:57
there already was a set of lights for a crossing to the hospital
the lights should change to amber before red to give you time to make your manouver tony

bish667
08-May-09, 15:41
the lights should change to amber before red to give you time to make your manouver

They cant get that right in Thurso either, not sure who's to blame but their muppets.

rfr10
08-May-09, 15:53
The new traffic system is an accident waiting to happen. If you watch the traffic lights, there isn't even a second delay from when the main road lights change to red and the Depmster Street lights turn to green and every time I have come to these traffic lights, there are always cars still coming through when the other side is on green too. I have found myself in front of the white line many times when coming down Dempster Street as you have to wait for any cars coming towards you before you can turn right and since very few will give way to you, you have to keep edging forward until you can get through before they change to red again.

George Brims
08-May-09, 18:47
there already was a set of lights for a crossing to the hospital
the lights should change to amber before red to give you time to make your manouver tony
You mean people stop on amber now? Changed days...

floyed
08-May-09, 19:18
The new traffic system is an accident waiting to happen. If you watch the traffic lights, there isn't even a second delay from when the main road lights change to red and the Depmster Street lights turn to green and every time I have come to these traffic lights, there are always cars still coming through when the other side is on green too. I have found myself in front of the white line many times when coming down Dempster Street as you have to wait for any cars coming towards you before you can turn right and since very few will give way to you, you have to keep edging forward until you can get through before they change to red again.

Definetly i have been driving and gone through the lights and cars are still coming. Had a few near misses!!

northener
08-May-09, 19:27

The best way to do it from the direction you describe RFR, is to proceed straight forward to your turning point and wait there. Any cars coming the opposite way who wish to turn right should cross behind you (offside to offside).
Bear in mind the cars coming towards you who are proceeding straight ahead are under no obligation to let you cross - they have priority in that situation.

If you hang back and edge forward you'll never get anywhere at that junction. I can appreciate that the method I have described only can happen if you are the only car in your direction waiting to turn right - if you have a car in front of you already indicating right then you will struggle if it's busy.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!).

Tighsonas4
08-May-09, 19:52
You mean people stop on amber now? Changed days...
i think if you read correctly it means the very opposite. it says there still there is still time for manuveour while lights are at amber tony

northener
08-May-09, 20:06
the pedestrian crossing is where it is for access to the hospital and playing fields. And I agree the lights change too quickly - and there should be a filter arrow for turning left or right. I have often found myself still in the middle when the lights change which means I'm turning on a red light, but can hardly reverse. It's a wonder there hasn't been more accidents.

As a general rule, if you are blocking the traffic flow and the lights change, you should proceed with caution - ensuring that other drivers are allowing you to do so - bear in mind that it will be to their benefit to let you go if you are blocking their access.

If you are not far enough forward to impede traffic flow when the lights change to red - then you should stay where you are, providing you are not putting yourself or anyone else in danger.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-May-09, 20:58
I'm not a driver,I widnae dare to.Ma problem is,if ye go down Dempster Street to get to Meiklejohns for some Swizzlers,what Pedestrian crossing do you use to get there.The new system for pedestrians seems to work in horizontals not verticals.I'm not a scientist,so it is confusing me!!:)

Moira
08-May-09, 21:30
I've driven over the crossroads in question several times this week, from two different directions and did not encounter any problems.

I've not tried the new crossing as a pedestrian. I guess that the system is not working as intended, going by floyed's post, in which case anyone with concerns should be reporting this to Highland Regional Council.

northener
08-May-09, 22:51
.......Why didn't they put one from petrol station to Lunch Box, this is the way that most people cross??

I have no argument with having them, i think there are a really good idea but not planned very well (in my opinion)!

Maybe there is a good explanation!

I had a look tonight on the way past.

here's a possible explanation:

The area of kerb on the petrol station side is very small due to the entry/exit from the petrol station, thus rendering it quite awkward to engineer as a crossing area - and causing visibility problems for cars emerging from the petrol station if there is a gaggle of pedestrians waiting to cross at the lights.

The crossing cannot be put any further back up the road, as this would require a separate set of lights to control it - along with full ped xing markings and restrictions - and make traffic flow virtually impossible to control with two possibly conflicting lights in the immediate vicinity....and nobody would use it anyway.....;)

rfr10
09-May-09, 10:42
The best way to do it from the direction you describe RFR, is to proceed straight forward to your turning point and wait there. Any cars coming the opposite way who wish to turn right should cross behind you (offside to offside).
Bear in mind the cars coming towards you who are proceeding straight ahead are under no obligation to let you cross - they have priority in that situation.

If you hang back and edge forward you'll never get anywhere at that junction. I can appreciate that the method I have described only can happen if you are the only car in your direction waiting to turn right - if you have a car in front of you already indicating right then you will struggle if it's busy.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!).

I understand what you mean but it's when there are a few cars coming towards my car that causes the problem because if I'm waiting to turn right and the cars coming towards me are either turning right too or going straight on, I then have to wait for the line of cars to pass behind me before I can turn right and by that time, I'm usually stuck in the middle when the next set of lights have turned to green.

There should be a delay between the two sets of lights - especially for lorries/ buses/ other large vehicles.

northener
09-May-09, 11:41
I understand what you mean but it's when there are a few cars coming towards my car that causes the problem because if I'm waiting to turn right and the cars coming towards me are either turning right too or going straight on, I then have to wait for the line of cars to pass behind me before I can turn right and by that time, I'm usually stuck in the middle when the next set of lights have turned to green.

There should be a delay between the two sets of lights - especially for lorries/ buses/ other large vehicles.

Fair comment RFR, I see what you mean now.

Yes, the gap in betwen the lights is virtually non-existant. Hopefully, it will be adjusted to allow traffic to clear away.

Mizpah
09-May-09, 11:48
I'm not a driver,I widnae dare to.Ma problem is,if ye go down Dempster Street to get to Meiklejohns for some Swizzlers,what Pedestrian crossing do you use to get there.The new system for pedestrians seems to work in horizontals not verticals.I'm not a scientist,so it is confusing me!!:)
Could not agree with you more, to get to some of the places you have to use three crossings whih to my simple mind seems rather silly and the most important crossing ate the crossing to the cafe there is none, I think who ever designed the crossing lights has never visied the situation to see what it is really like.:mad:

dirdyweeker
09-May-09, 16:06
Could not agree with you more, to get to some of the places you have to use three crossings :mad:

You do not. You can cross diagonally as all the lights are at red for the cars if it is at green for pedestrians

northener
09-May-09, 16:16
You do not. You can cross diagonally as all the lights are at red for the cars if it is at green for pedestrians

I really wouldn't try that........

katarina
10-May-09, 10:01

do you play russian roulette too?

floyed
10-May-09, 12:48

I wouldn't chance that:eek: