PDA

View Full Version : Castration of male ferret

cameroncara
07-May-09, 21:47
Can someone help? We have a Jill that we plan to breed this year so we have just rescued an intact hob, after we have confirmed she is pregnant we are wondering wether we should have him castrated so that they can live together. Has anyone had any experience of this, any complications and also the cost of castration??

Iris
08-May-09, 10:32
I have had many a ferret castrated, vasectomised or spayed. As with any operation there is a small risk, mainly with the general anaesthetic. It costs around £40 to £50. Once his stitches have healed and her babies are grown up they will live together very happily.

shazzy
09-May-09, 13:33
dont have him castrated,have a vasectomy,he will still have sexual hormones to bring the jill out of season as the jill can keep ovulating and can die.When the mother gives birth,do not open nest box until she brings them out herself and separate the hobs out when they are used to being handled,as they will fight.Keep hob away from babies as he will kill the male ones.If you are keeping all babies,bearing in mind there could be up to 12,good luck!!

cameroncara
10-May-09, 20:19
Hi thanks for the replies.

I will be taking the hobb out shortly and keeping my fingers crossed that the pregnancy will be successful. We have homes for upto 8 at the moment and we plan on keeping 1 jill for ourselves. Upto this year it was a vastectomised hob we used to take her out of season, put we would love to have some kits this year.:D